Dang - this is tough!

Options
2»

Replies

• fallgoes
    Options
    I may sound like a broken record, but IMHO 1200 calories is too restrictive, especially since you just started. I *know* you want to see that 1lb a week goal, but you have to remember that this is a behavior modification thing for your body and tastes and hunger levels, so it'll take a little bit to get it all to sync up to be okay with just 1200 calories.

My trainer told me that 1200 is the barest minimum one should do. I've a really slow metabolism, and I initially started MFP at 1200. But it was just too much too fast, and when I adjusted up to 1350, I started feeling better AND still losing weight.

It's a marathon, not a sprint!

Again, just my opinion. And it sounds like you're more active than you think too. I have 3 kids, and chasing them can really add up!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I just opened my food diary if anyone is willing to look. I am 141 and would like to get down to 130. I am a SAHM and chase a 2 year old around all day and keep my house.

I just started with a trainer this week so I took today off b/c I'm pretty sore. I may still decide to go later and jump on the treadmill just to get my muscles moving.

Thanks so much everyone, this site ROCKS!

with the amount you have to lose your weekly weight loss goal should be changed to 0.5lbs/week. This will give you more cals and help ensure that as you lose weight you lose mostly fat, not muscle.
  • Schmoopy11
    Options
    I just opened my food diary if anyone is willing to look. I am 141 and would like to get down to 130. I am a SAHM and chase a 2 year old around all day and keep my house.

I just started with a trainer this week so I took today off b/c I'm pretty sore. I may still decide to go later and jump on the treadmill just to get my muscles moving.

with the amount you have to lose your weekly weight loss goal should be changed to 0.5lbs/week. This will give you more cals and help ensure that as you lose weight you lose mostly fat, not muscle.

Thanks! Sorry to bug you, but can you tell me how to change it?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set at? It must be at sedentary to give you so few calories. Remember that is for people who sit at a desk all day.
  • jlmanderach
    jlmanderach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eating fruit as a snack (i love strawberries) and also those 100 calorie chocolate covered pretzels or something helps me out. I know its hard at first, you have to kind of pace yourself during the day, since your dinner of course will be most of your calories for the day. I also find that on days I dont work out I go over my calories, so trying to atleast workout for a half hour on an eliptical or something will help. You have to be motivated for this work, if the calorie count is too small, increasing it might be your best bet. :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

under My Home, click goals -> change goals.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
  • Schmoopy11
    Options

under My Home, click goals -> change goals.

Thanks I did it but I still want to shoot for 1 pound a week. It gave me another 50 calories. I had it set for 1.5lbs before. Thanks for everyone's help!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my breakfast shake seems high in calories but they are all "good" calories.

Scoop of Mercola Whey Powder
    Water
    1/3 banana
    1/2 C. frozen berries
    1TBSP Oil
    2C. Spinach
    tsp. cocoa powder
    2TBSP flax powder

Just curious here, what did you use the tablespoon of oil for?
  • Schmoopy11
    Options
    Oh, and my breakfast shake seems high in calories but they are all "good" calories.

Scoop of Mercola Whey Powder
    Water
    1/3 banana
    1/2 C. frozen berries
    1TBSP Oil
    2C. Spinach
    tsp. cocoa powder
    2TBSP flax powder

Just curious here, what did you use the tablespoon of oil for?

Fat. Good fat. I believe that every meal should include good fat. You have to eat fat to burn fat. I know it sounds contrary but it really is true. I'm talking about avocados, nuts, olive oil, flax, that kind of fat.

If I was going to eliminate anything from this shake it would be the banana. It is unnecessary but makes it taste soooo much better!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Oh, gotcha. It just looked out of place.
    But I realize it's in the shake.