how many of you are grammar nazis?

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    especially when it comes to online dating--bad grammar, poor punctuation, or a general lack of respect for the english language (besides writing in lowercase, which is what i do when i'm informal) are MAJOR dealbreakers.

Oh, this is absolutely the case for me *LOL* If it's not idle online banter and something you are actually drafting for repeated reading, I will go Nazi :)

^^^this

With things like online forums I try not to be judgmental because I have no way of knowing if there are other factors like English being a second language, etc., and I never call people out on it but in my head it still drives me nuts!!
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am very strict about grammar in forum posts and elsewhere on the internet. I don't always capitalize (or capitalise, if you like) when using instant messaging, though. I also forgive the usage of commas in place of semicolons. It's important to acknowledge some things that people consider spelling errors are also due to the location the poster is from - for example, splice commas are allowed in the American language, but not in English. There are also stylistic grammatical choices to consider; I always use an Oxford comma, but not using one is also correct.

I also believe that no matter how dire a situation is, there is never a need to use more than one exclamation mark or question mark.

And I have nothing against the stylistic usage of starting a sentence with 'and' for emphasis or the use of emoticons ;).
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    You can't be a grammar nazi, if you use "i" instead of "I". Just sayin!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Me! Makes me crazy to see misspelled words and incorrect punctuation.
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    grammar NAZI???? :noway: that's probably one of the worst expressions I've heard in a while
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've become less and less concerned about it online. Some people haven't had the best education, aren't fluent in English, or simply don't care... And I'm OK with that ;)

I take all this on board, and I'm very tolerant of poor spelling and grammar in real life... but it still bothers me.
    "Loose and lose" and "weight and weigh" are the ones that bug me most on this forum.
  • awadm
    awadm Posts: 252
    Options
    My friends call me the grammar police. Enough said? Haha I tend to correct people's grammar as they speak. What can I say?...it's a blessing and a curse. :D
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Me me me!

OP, true grammar nazis use proper capitalization and punctuation. Just sayin'. :)

But I love it when people say they're grammar nazis and try to call people out for using poor GRAMMER. :frown:
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    (Raising my hand and waving it wildy.)

Poor spelling, poor grammar and poor punctuation are HUGE pet peeves of mine. In fact, it boggles my mind when I see so many people screwing up there/their/they're, your/you're, etc. And on this site, I couldn't even guess how many people want to "loose" weight.

You're not alone. :)

This. HUGELY.
    Agreed. Grammar and spelling nerd, here.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Most of my posts are edited because I after I post, I read it again and find a mistake. I go back and correct it.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I try not to be judgmental about poor spelling/grammar, however I do have a pet peeve about "a lot" vs. "alot" and using i.e. where e.g. is more appropriate. Thank you, Ms. Shea, Freshman English teacher.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    What really bothers me is when people try to correct others, yet make egregious mistakes while doing it.
    *snicker*
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned in essays, applications, personal letters, filling out forms, and homework in general. So my husband get's a lot of grief from me as his home school education was sub par and could of been better so his spelling sucks. It's getting better but irritates me like no other. Thankfully he is having a positive attitude about it and is trying to get it improved. I personally can fumble sometimes as well. I ignore misspellings on a message board because it's virtually impossible to ALWAYS have perfect grammar and spelling. The only thing that irritates me is when people purposefully talk text style as they are trying to be all gangster or whatever. It's on here unfortunately and it blows me away at the age of some people doing it. They are not in their teens... that's for sure. :grumble:

Firefox is your friend though. It spell checks everything.
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've got to say that this is one of the funniest topics I've read on MFP in a long time... Thanks for the entertainment!! I wonder if arguing about punctuation burns any calories...??
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I've become less and less concerned about it online. Some people haven't had the best education, aren't fluent in English, or simply don't care... And I'm OK with that ;)
    This. And if it somehow bothers me, I simply stop reading it. I have a degree in English, so most people expect me to be a b!tch about grammar and spelling. However, the only things that really bother me are when things are misspelled on signs or documents (meaning someone should have proofread) or when people misuse a word so often that its misuse is widely accepted as truth, like the word nauseous.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    lol'ing at folks calling me out for not capitalizing, and apostrophizing where i should. :laugh: Like -I- said, -I'M- not perfect. :tongue:

Which is why everybody here is on this site.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    What really bothers me is when people try to correct others, yet make egregious mistakes while doing it.

1315262506-82173.jpg
  • dimpleschick
    dimpleschick Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I confess, yes I am one. I can't stand to hear "her and I went to the store"..."my kidses mom "--is that plural for kids?
    "that's a whole nuther story" ---ahem, I believe that is another whole story. "it was funner"....
    People don't even speak real words now. Drives me nuts, makes them look like uneducated dolts.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I am, and your post makes me twitch a little.

Ah, I am not alone!
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I ain't one of them there nazis , if'n I get what ur sayin then we be communicatn' . ( What does bother me is the endless use of "you know" and "Like") ..... Like, you know ?