Eating disorders

Options
So this is pretty personal, and would MyFitnesspal be an appropriate place to talk about it? Thoughts?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    It does get discussed. Just beware that you will get all kinds of feedback, some of it may not be what you expect...
  • sryan8408
    Options
    I have a friend who has an eating disorder on my list. She talks about it mostly pretty openly about it. And everyone encourages her to do well and she lets us know to help her out when shes under a certain amount of cals or something like that.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    depends on how you take negative comments, it is a very well discussed item on here with complete spectrum of views, lots with personal experience though, so its deep breath time and decide for yourself
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I would be careful on the open forum. Not everyone is kind, or tactful. There are groups, you may try searching for one that fits your needs and is a little more private. Just doing a quick search I found this one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/93-eating-disorder-support

Good luck!
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Been in recovery from food addiction for over 19 years. Anyway I can be of support, just friend me.

Best,
    Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
  • megpapier
    megpapier Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from anorexia. Used to be 65 lbs. Not anymore! I'm extremely open about it. I think it needs to be talked about.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    depends on what exactly you want to talk about... People tend not to be so nice to people who they do not understand.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would stick to my friends list to talk about it just because of the responses you can get from the general population. I do agree though it is an appropriate place.
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yes I did a search and found one I'm a part of
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think most people are kind when they understand you are in recovery. It's when people wish to continue disordered eating that people don't react well.

Join the group. No one will judge you there.
  • maparapa22
    Options
    Depends what kind of feedback you'd like and if you are ready. However I think it's brave and encouraging to have the confidence to ask for help or assistance, that's why we're all here for some reason or other :)
  • Karen19_91
    Karen19_91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible binge eater/closet eater. does that count? :) eating disorders are definitely something to talk about. If there is any place to do it, it would be here!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I think if you're in "recovery" and not trying to be pro-ED then MFP is definitely a great place to discuss and gain necessary support to get on the path of being healthy.

If you're trying to get pro-ED friends or support for not eating, then you'll get burned alive on the forum and your posts probably deleted.
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Just take/reply to the comments that you deem relevant. Ignore the rest....
    If you think about it.. We all have eating disorders, that's why we're here...
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    JerseyGirlHeart Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have been binging and purging on and off since I was eight years old. Yes eight. At first it wasn't because I thought I was fat at eight years old, but because I felt the need to eat more and more food. When I was in high school, I played sports year round, and I was also a dancer, so the pressure to be thin was always there. As much as I love and respect my father today, it was not easing growing up because he would tell me I was a little too heavy. My father was a body builder and always was in shape. I was always a lot bigger than a lot of girls as well, big hips, muscular thighs, and being 5'9''. My 'episodes" were always on and off, some weeks would be everyday, sometimes it would be every month, but I noticed I was losing any weight, I was just maintaining the weight I had, so I thought this was ok, right? No, just because I wasn't shrinking to a unhealthy weight, didn't mean the throwing up was ok. It is a very very selfish disease because you are purging food that money was spent on by either yourself, your parents, etc etc. I went to counseling and it helped a little, but usual my sessions were not for my eating disorder....When my parents found out what I was doing, it was embarrassing, but they never did anything to help. I was alone, and I hid this from everyone for a very long time. My ex husband never knew and my boyfriend even now has no idea I still do this, to this very day. I would say MFP is a blessing but also has its evils. You constantly want to track all the calories, and now how much you burn. At this point in my life I have decided to stop binging and control my life, by simply eating less food in the long run. Now its at the point were people are considering my calorie in take and output to be on the anorexic side, so now i am at the point where I just can't win. Honestly I am not looking at perfection or to be a size zero. I am looking at health and well being. My body for so long got used to throwing up, and I didn't even make my self throw up for my body to reject food. For so long i thought I had something seriously wrong with me, I had blood work, endoscopy, MRI, CT, X-Rays, Ultrasounds, and doctors visits, and everything has been negative. At this point I feel like if I treat my body right, it will treat me right. I will continue to grow and get stronger, and I want to help people through their troubles as well and receive support for myself as well.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you keep eating disorder discussions to here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/93-eating-disorder-support

In my experience there is a lot of bad information, misconceptions and negative judgement from people on here about eating disorders. However there is a smallish but active community of recovering MFP members who are incredibly supportive and a lot of them are members of the above group. Probably the best thing to do is add some as friends and support each other in a less public environment.