Scary but necessary

Options
This is a scary proposition, but I'm attemping to lose weight again. The last 19 years have seen more failure than success, but I need to turn this around. As I watched the biggest loser last night, my 19 year old was complaining about putting on some weight. On a regular basis we look at each other and say, We need to do this! and we may last a day before we get excited about going out to eat at a restaurant or decide this or that food sounds good. Then all good intentions go our the window... WELL, last night when my daughter was complaining about needing to lose weight, she said, she don't want to end up like me... I totally understood where she was coming from, but it ripped my heart out... I'm hoping, enough, to get in gear. I believe everything happens for a reason and I think me taking a look at myself from my daughters eyes may have done the trick. So, I'm here to take a stand and lose the 100+ pounds that need to be lost. Any help and support or similar stories out there would help... Thanks! Kim

Replies

• kira000
    Options
    The longest journey starts with a single step. I don't know any magic tricks to make weight loss easy, but I would be glad to lend support and encouragement.
  • katdouce
    katdouce Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good for you Kim!!! MFP is full of people in the same boat who are looking for support and ready to give support!!!! including me...good luck and add me if you want :)
  • WalkingZero1
    WalkingZero1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Kim, you should be very proud of taking the first step!! That is the hardest part. Keep your willpower about you. I also have to lose 100 pounds. Feel free to friend me. Also.. I saw this yesterday and it really hit me... keep this in mind:

A year from now you will wish you had started today!!!

GOOD LUCK!!
  • seesusanwrite
    seesusanwrite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It is often through our children's eyes that we see who we really are. Since you have watched Biggest Losers you know that the weight can be lost. It won't be fast, it won't be easy. You will have ups and downs. You will fall off the wagon but as long as you get back on that's what counts.

You can do this. The only person in front of your goal is you. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You've taken that all-important first step by coming to MFP. This is a great place to come to give and receive support and encouragement. You can do this and then your daughter will want to be like you!!! :wink:
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    it CAN be done. You should check out the success stories area, if you haven't already. And look at them EVERYDAY. they are so inspiring to me................. good luck to you!!
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    one step at a time...you can do it! Best advice - eat healthy and make it a lifestyle. Don't deny yourself your favorite foods - just eat them in very small portions!

Here's to your success!
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    aw hun dont worry sometimes people say things that they never intended to be hurtful they just feel that way to you, she didnt mean it. BELIEVE me i know how that feels and i can symperthise. the other day my mother commented on how people wouldnt employ somebody as large as me, even if they liked me on the telephone. she didnt mean it hurtfully but it did hurt, and i couldnt tell her.

if you want to lose weight and your ready to do so then you will :) your here which is a great first step and theres loads of loverly people here who can and will be supportive, and importantly understand and symperthise.

ive more than 100lbs to lose again dont panic, its a journey a diet is just what you eat every day not some horrific mountain to climb, and sooner rather than later the changes you gradually make will become a lifestyle choice not a choar.

do it for you, do it because you want too, and dont worry if there are mistakes a long the way, just learn from them and move on. :) its all good.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making the choice to get healthy.

Just remember when you cave in (cause it will happen) not to let that derail all of your efforts. If you go out to a restaraunt and order badly or eat something not so healthy...just make up for it the next meal. Don't let one slip up knock you off track completely. It won't come off in a day so don't let one day wreck you! :flowerforyou:
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    It took a catalyst like that for me too! Do something to keep that in mind. Maybe put a picture of your daughter on your mirror so you see it every morning and remember why you want to be healthier!
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Good for you.. welcome.. I know how hard it is.. and stay motivated can be hard.. but the friends you make here will make sure you keep on track... feel free to add me :)
  • KaylaTie
    Options
    One of my lovely MFP friends put it best... "A year from now, you will wish you had started today..." I hope it helps you as much as it's helped me!
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Remember as the Kaiser Permanente commercial reminds, one step forward and two steps back is still ONE STEP FORWARD, so yes, there will be some days when you get off track but if you dust yourself off and not wallow in it, I bet you can make big things happen! We are here for you~
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend. Having a good network of friends on here will help more than you know!
  • Its_ali_bella
    Its_ali_bella Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! Let me share what has helped me lately: I make my breakfast bigger, dinner's smaller! Eat carbs only early in the day. You can do this!! Weight gain doesn't happen overnight, neither weight loss. But you can lose 100 lbs in one year in a healthy manner!!
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Everything said the motivational stuff real well, so I will just ditto what they said. I am just floored, though about what your 19 year old daughter said. I mean, at 19, you pretty much have to take responsibility for who you are and what you put into your mouth. That was completely out of line.
  • suemurphy2010
    Options
    Finding this site was the best thing that could have happened to me. I've logged in every day, chatted with some lovely people and been kept motivated seeing others walking the walk. I'd convinced myself over the years I didn't eat much and I was just big boned, slow metabolism, no time to cook etc..

Now I eat 4 meals a day, most of my food is cooked from scratch and, with another 84 lbs to go from a starting point of 289.9 since August this year it hopefully shows you it can be done. If you'd like to add a slightly strange Brit then feel free. Best wishes for your journey
  • brewer000
    brewer000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally understand...My sin would walk around calling me flabby arms and belly....Hes 10 but still it hurts sometimes. The real thing is to have a support system that is willing to push you to your limits. And there are many times that I quit...just don't give up!
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Good quote to remember (wishing you would have started today a year from now). I think that will really help me right now.