Sore muscles

Options
I have 2 questions on this one.

1) I just started working out regularly, and I am soooo sore. Is it ok to continue working out while I'm sore??

2) What can I do to decrease my soreness?

Replies

• dashnigma
    dashnigma Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    1) Yes
    2) Working out will actually decrease the soreness for you. It is a crazy, but nice, cycle.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness is ok. You should NOT be sore in the joints.
    The best things are
    1) Ibuprofen
    2) Hot baths, Heating Pad, Rolling Pin
    3) Light exercise will actually work the blood and lactic acid out of the muscles and reduce soreness.
  • sryan8408
    Options
    Its fine to workout while sore. Pulled muscle? No. Sore? Yes. And to reduce soreness... take an asprin, take an epsom salt bath, ice (i hate this method), and my favorite... when you're about to go to bed, bring a heating pad with you and alternate sore areas. Works wonders
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    hmmm, I just wouldn't work the same muscle groups every day if it's moderate/intense lifting. If you're talking aerobics type stuff, yeah, do it every day and eventually you'll adjust.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    All of the above, stretching, and lots of water to flush out the lactic acid
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I would say if your body is sore, you need to have a few rest days before your next exercise routine, or ease back a bit. Always listen to your body. Heat (through hot baths, hot showers, hot water bottles), epsom salt baths, and introducing stretching and yoga into your routine are all great ways of assisting recovery.

If your pain is so bad you need painkillers, I would definitely back off the exercise. OK, maybe I am just a wimp! But painkillers are still drugs with known side effects, and it is best to avoid them if you can.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I actually find that a light workout of the sore muscles the day after helps. If I'm sore, and don't work out the next day, day two REALLY hurts. Doing an easy workout, or even just stretching, seems to make day two much more bearable.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Make sure your protein intake is good. I've been using a BCAA supplament also.

As said, a very light workout helps
  • LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It's definitely not a pulled muscle, just my muscles saying "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?!?"

hehehehe I will keep working them and adding heat. I was just a little concerned because I am walking kinda funny, but it's worth it :tongue:
  • AP2o12
    AP2o12 Posts: 20
    Options
    buy a foam roller!! you will love it! it helps massage the muscles and will decrease your soreness
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Protein after your workout. Don't be scared of a whey protein shake. Greek yogurt or even lean meat. I'm rarely sore since starting this. Natural better than popping pills :)
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    As much as sometimes I complain about it, I love that sore feeling. I know that means I had a good workout.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    All of the above, stretching, and lots of water to flush out the lactic acid

Lactic acid is flushed from the muscles within an hour after exercising. It has nothing to do with soreness.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Even if I'm too sore to do anything else, 20 minutes of stretching burns some calories and really helps with the soreness. My problem now is that when I sit down for more than thirty or forty minutes I'm so stiff and sore when I stand up that I stagger down stairs holding onto the rail and the wall like a very old woman!
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    buy a foam roller!! you will love it! it helps massage the muscles and will decrease your soreness

^^This. I have one and it is AWESOME. I also reiterate the other commenters remarks about water and stretching and pushing through the pain unless you are injured. Also mixing in some yoga can be great for maintaining flexibility and such :wink: