okay......

Options
so I have been having trouble staying motivated to exercise. I only exercised 1 day last week. I usually do 4/5 times a week 30 minutes. I don't know what is wrong with me, when I first started this thing almost 4 months ago I did 6 days a week and a lot of minutes. My hubby was off for a week in March and I just got off track, I know it is no ones fault but my own. I don't think I ever really got totally back on track since then. I think that I have just got bored with my exercise routine. A little bit about my exercise routine: I have a stationary bike and I ride it pretty much every time I exercise or I do a cardio exercise DVD. What do you suggest for a beginner who can't afford to go to the gym and I can't get outside much to walk b/c I have two small kids ages 31/2 and 21 months? I am not whining I just want some suggestions. I am still losing weight but I do want to exercise b/c I feel so much better when I do. I just got in my 30 minutes a little bit ago and I feel awesome, now if I can keep it up.

Replies

• MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    so I have been having trouble staying motivated to exercise. I only exercised 1 day last week. I usually do 4/5 times a week 30 minutes. I don't know what is wrong with me, when I first started this thing almost 4 months ago I did 6 days a week and a lot of minutes. My hubby was off for a week in March and I just got off track, I know it is no ones fault but my own. I don't think I ever really got totally back on track since then. I think that I have just got bored with my exercise routine. A little bit about my exercise routine: I have a stationary bike and I ride it pretty much every time I exercise or I do a cardio exercise DVD. What do you suggest for a beginner who can't afford to go to the gym and I can't get outside much to walk b/c I have two small kids ages 31/2 and 21 months? I am not whining I just want some suggestions. I am still losing weight but I do want to exercise b/c I feel so much better when I do. I just got in my 30 minutes a little bit ago and I feel awesome, now if I can keep it up.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Buy a wagon & take the kids out in the wagon! My kids LOVE it! Check out craigslist for some gently owned ones, too if cost is a concern!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Yep, you're bored. March in place to music, do dancing to music, jump up and down, do jumping jacks, anything to get moving! Get a mini tramp off craigslist (a lot of times you can get one for free) and jog on it. Go get a different DVD, like Leslie Sansone's walking videos, they are cheap at Costco. Go to the library and rent different DVDs, or if you have Netflix, or On Demand, stuff like that. Shake it up!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    Buy a wagon & take the kids out in the wagon! My kids LOVE it! Check out craigslist for some gently owned ones, too if cost is a concern!

thank you that is awesome idea. I will have to check it out.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    dance around your living room with your kids...
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a bunch of short workout routines that you can use to create your own routine. Just look up some body parts or muscle groups and add the word "exercise" afterwards. The 8 and 10-minute stuff comes to mind. Go for 2 different ones every day for a week. And once you get the routine going again, add more.

On demand has some nice ones. I used to browse the kids section so my sons wouldn't complain.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    Yep, you're bored. March in place to music, do dancing to music, jump up and down, do jumping jacks, anything to get moving! Get a mini tramp off craigslist (a lot of times you can get one for free) and jog on it. Go get a different DVD, like Leslie Sansone's walking videos, they are cheap at Costco. Go to the library and rent different DVDs, or if you have Netflix, or On Demand, stuff like that. Shake it up!

yep, I think so too. I get bored really easy, I do have a mini tramp though. I haven't used it but once though. Time to get it out. I have Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds with water weights. Thanks for all your suggestions, they are great ones and I will have to try them.
  • jennlos
    jennlos Posts: 200
    Options
    As far as keeping a variety of work out dvds, I think that netflix would be a good idea for you. They have it where you can get the dvds sent to you home and you can view many different videos that you can watch instantly on you computer. They did a good variety,
    As far as the motivation is concerned we all are going to struggle with that from time to time, as long as we keep one or the other (diet or exercise) during those times we should be able to get through it with out totally wrecking the work that we have already put into it. You are doing so great already I know that you will get through this hump and continue!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    Youtube has a bunch of short workout routines that you can use to create your own routine. Just look up some body parts or muscle groups and add the word "exercise" afterwards. The 8 and 10-minute stuff comes to mind. Go for 2 different ones every day for a week. And once you get the routine going again, add more.

On demand has some nice ones. I used to browse the kids section so my sons wouldn't complain.

great ideas thanks, I get bored with exercise very easily.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    As far as keeping a variety of work out dvds, I think that netflix would be a good idea for you. They have it where you can get the dvds sent to you home and you can view many different videos that you can watch instantly on you computer. They did a good variety,
    As far as the motivation is concerned we all are going to struggle with that from time to time, as long as we keep one or the other (diet or exercise) during those times we should be able to get through it with out totally wrecking the work that we have already put into it. You are doing so great already I know that you will get through this hump and continue!!!!:flowerforyou:

oh as far as food goes I have no problem there I am never over on my calories or anything (I am really strict there). Just been struggling with the exercise as of late but I am looking for ways to kick up my routine and get motivated. Thanks for the suggestions, I will have to try that. Thanks for saying I am doing great. I am working on it.
  • heather93277
    Options
    cheap things to do that you can mix up so you avoid boredom...

get moving! clean the house, vacuum, mop, wash windows at a fast pace to get that heart rate up!
    jumping jacks (get a good sports bra, learn from my mistake hahaha)
    lunges and squats with or without weights
    jump rope
    hula hoop
    push ups (try different hand positions to work different muscles)
    sit ups/crunches/leg lifts to work the core
    pull ups (bars are not that spendy and can be put on door jams, or take the kids to the park & use the monkey bars!)

there are so many more too... get creative :bigsmile:
  • lgolden
    lgolden Posts: 164
    Options
    Have you tried Cathe.com? Cathe has beginner to advanced exercise DVDs. She breaks down everything really well and her cueing is excellent. Most of her DVDs also have "premix" options so it's like you have several DVDs in one.
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Laura,

I can't believe that your'e not on top of it....You are always the one with great compliments and offer awesome motivation to all of us. I just love Lesile Sansone's workouts. When I can't get out and walk I put in her video ( yes I said video) lol. And it keeps me on track and wiith it being short enough to just do it quickly. You can probably get a efficent workout while the little ones are napping. It's time to give yourself the insperation that you share with all of us. Remember you are #1:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I have lots of faith in you!!!!!:love:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hey girl....be sure to take those kiddies out in the beautiful weather!! play ball with them run around catch bubbles do all you can even if your not able to log it officially as excercise.....stay active Laura not because you have to but because you deserve all the benefits that come along with it...you got 2 little beautiful kiddies think of all the fun you will have with them in your new healthy active body.....stick with it girl!!! fight fight fight ...no boredom allowed....*smiles* invest in a bike and one of those trailers and hit the pavement...................look on craigslist.org and freecycle.org....freecycle is free items people no longer want.......hugs always your friend Mya...:flowerforyou:
  • oubeth1
    oubeth1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I know what you mean about getting off track with the exercising. I have been the same way. However, I bought the Sweating to the Oldies complete set of 5 DVD's off Amazon.com and love it. Once I get it in the player and start moving, I just keep going. They are the same as the orginal ones from the 90's. The music is good and your kids could dance along with you while you are working out. :wink:
  • dafne
    dafne Posts: 4
    Options
    read in one of the messages some time ago, www.exercisetv.tv has some really nice exercises,approximately 20 minutes each.
    you can try the free full length videoes. they are easy to follow and fun.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    cheap things to do that you can mix up so you avoid boredom...

get moving! clean the house, vacuum, mop, wash windows at a fast pace to get that heart rate up!
    jumping jacks (get a good sports bra, learn from my mistake hahaha)
    lunges and squats with or without weights
    jump rope
    hula hoop
    push ups (try different hand positions to work different muscles)
    sit ups/crunches/leg lifts to work the core
    pull ups (bars are not that spendy and can be put on door jams, or take the kids to the park & use the monkey bars!)

there are so many more too... get creative :bigsmile:

I forgot about these things. Thanks for reminding me about them. I will have to try these things.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    Have you tried Cathe.com? Cathe has beginner to advanced exercise DVDs. She breaks down everything really well and her cueing is excellent. Most of her DVDs also have "premix" options so it's like you have several DVDs in one.

nope will have to look into it though.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    Options
    Laura,

I can't believe that your'e not on top of it....You are always the one with great compliments and offer awesome motivation to all of us. I just love Lesile Sansone's workouts. When I can't get out and walk I put in her video ( yes I said video) lol. And it keeps me on track and wiith it being short enough to just do it quickly. You can probably get a efficent workout while the little ones are napping. It's time to give yourself the insperation that you share with all of us. Remember you are #1:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I have lots of faith in you!!!!!:love:

I just got off track with it, but I am fighting hard to get back into it. I have Leslie Sansone and need to be doing it, I think I will tomorrow.
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Laura,

I just got off track with it, but I am fighting hard to get back into it. I have Leslie Sansone and need to be doing it, I think I will tomorrow.
    Come on Laura you have all the right tools and look you have already lost 39 pounds.You owe to yourself to keep pushing the weight off.You know what to do get active again.Go on walks with your children and hubby.Don't lose sight of what is important to you.You deserve to lose this weight girl.YOUR AWESOME and YOU CAN DO THIS!!