STOP TALKING ABOUT TOM!

Options
124»

Replies

• prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I seriously just posted a similar topic, and I'm a female.

BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT, HATERS!

Wiggle.
    Wiggle.
    Wiggle.
    Wiggle.
    Yea.

IM SEXY AND I KNOW IT lol :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip: If "TOM" is in the topic title line and you don't like to read about "TOM", don't click on it.

Exactly what she said.
  • gregs887
    Options
    Haha, I thought this thread was going to be about MySpace
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    mccoyDeadThread.jpg
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a girl that kept an excel spreadsheet charting her cycle (not trying to conceive, just for interest's sake). That's neither here nor there but it did make me laugh.

That's actually a great tool for avoiding conception, too, if you know what you're doing and chart it correctly. There are some nifty websites that make it a little easier than using an Excel spreadsheet though.

^This! It's called the Body Awareness Method and if used correctly, it's just as reliable as using other forms of BC. It's also a great tool to keep aware of your body in general; knowing when there are changes going on and with what hormones and chemicals.

That said, real posts about menstruation never bothered me. That is, posts asking a genuine question or posting about a genuine 'helpful' tip about avoiding pain/weight gain/water weight or whatever, I think it's great to have that forum and discussion. Women should be more in-the-know about their own bodies. I do agree that the "omg gimme chocolate" posts can cause a bit eye-rolling (way to live up to the stereotype, I feel), but then I just tell myself that their magnesium must be low--since heavy menstruation can decrease your body's magnesium level, causing cramps!

See, I never knew that! But luckily, I learned that from someone who was not ashamed of their body and I was not embarrassed to listen :)

If you don't like the posts, just gloss over them

Edit: In my defense, I started writing this before the official "it's dead" notice, it just took me a while to finish! :X
  • fyceasar
    Options
    I used to work with a girl that kept an excel spreadsheet charting her cycle (not trying to conceive, just for interest's sake). That's neither here nor there but it did make me laugh.

That's actually a great tool for avoiding conception, too, if you know what you're doing and chart it correctly. There are some nifty websites that make it a little easier than using an Excel spreadsheet though.

Yep, this exactly. I've been tracking for almost 6 years now on a website. Not only does it make it easy to plan vacations in advance (we partly picked our wedding/honeymoon dates based on my tracking history, true story!), but it also is useful for health, since so many of my autoimmune illnesses kick off for hormonal reasons. And hey, when I try to conceive, I'll know my cycle inside out, and if I wanted to use the timing to prevent conception, I could. I highly recommend it!

Really?! and on a website are you serious? What's wrong with a calender? What all do you need to keep track of besides start date, flow, feellings and end date? I picked both of my wedding dates based on my 28 day cycle how hard is it? lol My husband keeps track of mine now.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Yep, this exactly. I've been tracking for almost 6 years now on a website. Not only does it make it easy to plan vacations in advance (we partly picked our wedding/honeymoon dates based on my tracking history, true story!), but it also is useful for health, since so many of my autoimmune illnesses kick off for hormonal reasons. And hey, when I try to conceive, I'll know my cycle inside out, and if I wanted to use the timing to prevent conception, I could. I highly recommend it!

Really?! and on a website are you serious? What's wrong with a calender? What all do you need to keep track of besides start date, flow, feellings and end date? I picked both of my wedding dates based on my 28 day cycle how hard is it? lol My husband keeps track of mine now.

Not everyone has a regular, 28 day cycle and thus not everyone ovulates on day 14. It definitely is easier if you have a perfectly regular cycle. But some women have a longer or shorter cycle and ovulate earlier or later than a 28 day woman, some have irregular cycles where they ovulate at a different day in different cycles and thus have more difficulty pinpointing ovulation based solely upon past cycles. You know yours is 28 days so you can estimate that you ovulate on or very close to day 14. Some women might have a 28 day cycle, then a 39 day cycle, then a 33 day cycle, etc. that's b/c they're ovulating on different days each time. Charting websites (or even charting manually without a website) can be really helpful for these women. The length of your cycle is not the only thing that you can use to estimate when you ovulate, you can also observe your natural discharge, cervix openness and position, and your temperature upon waking each morning. All of these things give clues pointing toward impending ovulation and can even indicate when it has already occurred. Anyway, you might not need to worry about all this extra stuff since your cycle is very predictable, but there are lots of women that really benefit from all these methods of interpreting their fertility signs. :-)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Aunt Flo is longer to type than TOM. hm. While we're on the subject, mine will come next week I think.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is when women act like it's something BRAND NEW that just started happening to their bodies or that they could possibly be the ONLY one with this affliction. I mean really.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has a regular, 28 day cycle and thus not everyone ovulates on day 14. It definitely is easier if you have a perfectly regular cycle. But some women have a longer or shorter cycle and ovulate earlier or later than a 28 day woman, some have irregular cycles where they ovulate at a different day in different cycles and thus have more difficulty pinpointing ovulation based solely upon past cycles. You know yours is 28 days so you can estimate that you ovulate on or very close to day 14. Some women might have a 28 day cycle, then a 39 day cycle, then a 33 day cycle, etc. that's b/c they're ovulating on different days each time. Charting websites (or even charting manually without a website) can be really helpful for these women. The length of your cycle is not the only thing that you can use to estimate when you ovulate, you can also observe your natural discharge, cervix openness and position, and your temperature upon waking each morning. All of these things give clues pointing toward impending ovulation and can even indicate when it has already occurred. Anyway, you might not need to worry about all this extra stuff since your cycle is very predictable, but there are lots of women that really benefit from all these methods of interpreting their fertility signs. :-)

At least this thread didn't turn into a detailed discussion or anything... :wink:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

At least this thread didn't turn into a detailed discussion or anything... :wink:

Hey, I did stop short of describing fertile mucus. LOL

Point is, if you start a thread with TOM in the title, you're gonna get TOM talk. LOL
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

At least this thread didn't unnecessarily resurrect after two weeks either...
  • fyceasar
    Options

:noway: I thought everyone had a 28 day cycle...
  • fyceasar
    Options

:noway: I thought everyone had a 28 day cycle and I have three daughters that I had and I'm having to teach about their cycle. I just don't understand how every month some women act like it's brand new. It's your cycle It's going to be your bestfriend and worst nightmare for some time no matter. Learn it if you don't know it and if you do know it good for you but you don't get a cookie because you're not the first or the only one to learn it...and stop posting it everywhere not all think it's a beautiful thing.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i understand where OP is coming from. and i don't tell people explicitly what's going on down there. however, i'm the type of person whose mood swings and i'm definitely affected by that and bloatation, etc. just because i have to deal with it 12 times a year for the forseeable future doesn't make me thrilled about it. so i deal with it, but it doesn't mean i won't rant from time to time.

and now...i think i'll talk about poop.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    Almost 50% of the population menstruates at some point in their lives, and it has a huge impact on so many things health-wise...we're just supposed to suck it up and pretend it doesn't exist because it makes a few people squeamish? Shame about periods comes from shame about fertility (sex) and shame about being female, both outdated concepts. Once upon a time, it was considered to be embarrassing to talk about pregnancy as well.

Periods happen. :smile:

Basically this. As long as no one is going into in-depth detail like consistency, etc (haha), I don't see the issue. If you don't like it, just skip past the post.
  • ciaobellakiss
    Options
    You realize that you rehashed TOM, right?

And BTW, without TOM, you would not be alive today. Just saying.
    :laugh:

She shut you :tongue: JK
  • _hardGAINER_
    Options
    boring