Flatout Pizza

Options
mkallie
mkallie Posts: 110 Member
I have been working on this for years and I can finally say, I have it figured out. When I first started, they turned out kinda smooshy and drippy in the middle, which wasn't horrible but wasn't really what I would consider delicious either. But I finally found a way to get them crunchy and delicious every time.
What you need:

Pizza screen (not pizza pan) -- the mesh kind. These also work wonders on making baked potato strips taste like french fries
Oil mister
Oven
Sauce and toppings
Flatouts

I always use the Flatout Healthy Grain w/ Flax -- it has a good consistency, 100 cal, 9g protein, and not a ton of carbs.

To cook:

Preheat oven to 400. Put a flatout on the pizza screen and mist both sides lightly with olive oil. Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until you can pick it up and it stays rigid. It shouldn't be too brown at this point.

Add sauce and toppings. Go easy on the sauce -- it can make your crust soggy. I just put a light coating on and if I want more (or different) I will put extra stuff on top after it's baked. The one I'm eating right now is topped with a little bit of fresh salsa and it's awesome.

Add cheese and toppings and bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is as crunchy as you want. Easy!

I'm a chicken pizza fan, so I often make one with mango habanero sauce, cut up grilled chicken breast strips, either mozz or 2% cheddar, red onions, and tomatoes or peppers. You can pretty easily make a good one for under 300 calories too.

Anyway, hope this helps someone! My biggest problem was always getting it crunchy and the pizza screen/olive oil spritz method works GREAT for that (and also sweet potato fries).

Replies

• patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    sounds great
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I love flatouts and this sounds so yummy. Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:

Sláinte
  • BrwnGirlSlimmn
    BrwnGirlSlimmn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I've made them before, but have the soggy middle problem.
  • nmoline
    Options
    Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing! I love to use the flat outs for wraps but have yet to try making pizza. Know what I'm going to make next time I buy them.

My favorite wrap is a Buffalo Chicken Wrap:
    1 Flat Out
    1 Laughing Cow Light Blue Cheese
    4 oz Chicken
    Red Hot Sauce
    Preferred Veggies

Spread the Laughing Cow cheese on the flat out and top with toppings, roll up and enjoy!

10240950.png
  • nmoline
    Options
    Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing! I love to use the flat outs for wraps but have yet to try making pizza. Know what I'm going to make next time I buy them.

1 Flat Out
    4 oz Chicken
    Red Hot Sauce
    Preferred Veggies

Spread the Laughing Cow cheese on the flat out and top with toppings, roll up and enjoy!

10240950.png
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    awesome. i saw the idea for a pizza on the back of the bag and wondered how exactly i could get them crispy. no joke, really! thanks for taking the time to post!
  • brandihutchinson
    Options
    Yum!
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options

1 Flat Out
    4 oz Chicken
    Red Hot Sauce
    Preferred Veggies

10240950.png

Oooh that sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing, i will definitely try this!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I am glad you have succeeded after years of work.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Oh man, your thread is a blessing. My crust always comes out soggy in the middle, even when I stick to less than enough sauce. With that said, I'd been trying to cook it longer, but this always leaves me with darker crusts.. which in this case doesn't taste very good. *sniffle* Some altercations are in store. Thanks for sharing!