Studies find more meals per day is healthier

Options
Because of the recent spate of topics related to hunger and how often to eat, etc., I thought I'd share this...

Two new studies have determined that subjects who eat three meals per day as opposed to just one can develop health risks including higher blood sugar and blood pressure.

The link to the (abridged) story is here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080307084626.htm

The conclusion seems to be that "stoking" the metabolic furnace at regular intervals throughout the day helps the body function more efficently, especially in terms of balancing insulin response. While these studies didn't come out and say that "more is better" as a general rule, their results combined with the conventional wisdom that 5 or 6 small meals, spaced no more than 3 hours apart is better at stabilizing metabolism in most people, would suggest that if 3 meals a day is better than one huge meal, then 4-6 small meals is better than 3.

Besides, in the "real world", I'm not sure many people get all their daily calories in one sitting. In fact, it may have been more instructive to compare groups that eat 3 meals per day and 6 meals per day, both consuming the same amount of calories. There may be lots of studies out there along those lines. If you know of some, I'd love to hear about it.

After all, when it comes down to it, to be successful at losing weight and managing our weight for the rest of our lives, most of us will have to relearn how to eat . Might as well start with good information.

Replies

• jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    Because of the recent spate of topics related to hunger and how often to eat, etc., I thought I'd share this...

Two new studies have determined that subjects who eat three meals per day as opposed to just one can develop health risks including higher blood sugar and blood pressure.

The link to the (abridged) story is here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080307084626.htm

The conclusion seems to be that "stoking" the metabolic furnace at regular intervals throughout the day helps the body function more efficently, especially in terms of balancing insulin response. While these studies didn't come out and say that "more is better" as a general rule, their results combined with the conventional wisdom that 5 or 6 small meals, spaced no more than 3 hours apart is better at stabilizing metabolism in most people, would suggest that if 3 meals a day is better than one huge meal, then 4-6 small meals is better than 3.

Besides, in the "real world", I'm not sure many people get all their daily calories in one sitting. In fact, it may have been more instructive to compare groups that eat 3 meals per day and 6 meals per day, both consuming the same amount of calories. There may be lots of studies out there along those lines. If you know of some, I'd love to hear about it.

After all, when it comes down to it, to be successful at losing weight and managing our weight for the rest of our lives, most of us will have to relearn how to eat . Might as well start with good information.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post
    :happy:
  • rpowersrph
    Options
    I do not know of any studies but I can testify it works for me I try to eat every 2 to 4 hours and have done that for 2 years and have lost alot of weight average between 1 and 2 pounds per week. I also would be interested in any studies done. I will let you know if i find any.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That's what's been working for me too since december. I usually try to have 200 cal breakfast and lunch a 500 cal dinner and then I have 400 calories left for snacks. Its been working great and I am rarely hungry.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That's what's been working for me too since december. I usually try to have 200 cal breakfast and lunch a 500 cal dinner and then I have 400 calories left for snacks. Its been working great and I am rarely hungry.