Adoption; yes or no

Options
ctalimenti
ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
What are your experiences with adoption. Would you adopt a child? Were you adopted and was it a positive experience or were you always wondering about your bio parents?

Replies

• Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My hubby was adopted... I'm happy for that because I never would have met him if he wasn't I'm guessing. I'm down with it, I think it takes a long long time to process the papers but the end result is happiness for the adopters and the adopted. Sure the kid will ask about their biological parents at some point, but most kids realize that your mom is your mom no matter if she is blood or not.
  • rdwarner1
    rdwarner1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you adopt a child that is older than a toddler, meaning they understand at the time they were adopted that you are not their biological parents, depending on their "life circumstances up to that point in their life, they may resent you later. They might embrace the idea of adoption at the time but if they are bitter about their circumstances in life and never deal with it you will have a lot of issues on your hand. I would be hesitant to adopt a child that is old enough to understand. ON the other hand if you adopt a younger child and help him/her embrace the idea of the fact that they are adopted it might have a better outcome.

I adopted an older child, gave them support, opportunity and she is bitter and angry about her life and takes it out on me. I have had a lot of patience but she is 26 now and lives on her own (at my request). She is doing well financially, has gone to three years of college. She has chosen to get in touch with her biological family and she embraces them much more than me (which is fine but let's not forget I'm also part of her family too). I only hear from her when she wants something like money.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    What are your experiences with adoption. Would you adopt a child? Were you adopted and was it a positive experience or were you always wondering about your bio parents?

I'm adopted. I wonder about my birth family all the time.
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am all for adoption. My mother was adopted. She loves her family very much, but would like to at least know about her parents, though a lot of that comes from medical reasons. My sister was having episodes and since the doctors couldn't figure out what was causing them, we were wondering about it being genetic.
    Fostering is another great option. A lot of places that those kids go to are not the best, especially for the teens. My mother had fosters in our house on 3 occasions when I was growing up and it was great to see them in a place where people genuinely cared for them.
  • branflake5
    Options
    I think adoption is a great thing. There are so many loving families out there who are unable to have children on their own, adoption gives them the chance to be awesome parent to a child who needs awesome parents. I am sure anyone who was adopted will wonder somewhat about their birth parents its only natural to have questions about them, but I do know several people who were adopted and they had great childhoods with very loving families and their adoptive parents are their parents, end of story.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i never wanted to have kids, i wanted to adopt but my man wants one of our own so we may do one of each!! yes! what a terrific idea! save a lonely lovely child!!!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have a very close friend who was adopted as a preschooler (old enough to realize) and although he is curious about his birth parents, he has a fabulous relationship with his parents, and is not resentful at all. They did of course have some struggles as do ALL families. I think it totally depends.

I have two other very close friends who have both adopted children, one through private adoption here in our province, and one from China. Both experiences were VERY positive, although for my friends who adopted from China they did have to wait a very long time. Their girl was about 18mos at the time of adoption.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm adopted. I was adopted immediately at birth. My parents explained it to me as soon as I was old enough to grasp the concept. I don't remember feeling weird about it and I took it pretty well. I never had much curiosity about my birth parents and always told myself I would never try to contact them unless my adoptive parents had passed away. Well, that's the situation I was in and on a whim I located and contacted my birth mother online. She had registered as a birth mother on adoption.com so I knew she was interested in being contacted. We met for the first time a couple years ago and it's been a great experience. I now have a whole new extended family that has been very welcoming.
  • Mennassey
    Mennassey Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have never personally dealt with adoption. My cousin was adopted though, but she was never really considered adopted , she's just always been family. Would I adopt? Heck yeah. I think there are too many kids that deserve a loving and caring home, and I would love to provide that. Even though I don't plan on having kids in the near future, or starting a family, I know for sure that I want to adopt, no matter what.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I are considering it. We have been trying for 3 years with no success, to have a baby. I have a 15yr from a previous marriage. We are consulting with a fertility clinic next week, and if by the end of next year we don't get pg we will start the adoption process. My dad was adopted at 7 years old and he adores his family. He is the youngest of 6 kids, all biological kids of the their parents except him. He feels truely blessed to have his family and thinks it would be great if we adopted as well. If we do end up getting pg, we may still go a head and adopt another one. But yes, its definatly a consideration for us!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Adoption is a wonderful gift. I have 3 adopted siblings, two adopted at 10 and one adopted before a year old. The one adopted as a baby was actually the one who went through the "resent the adoptive family" phase, but when he learned we had NO qualms about him contacting his birth family and establishing relationships, things calmed down. The two who were adopted at 10 were our foster children from age 4 to 10, so we knew quite a few of their birth family members and got together with them at times, and that never changed. Now I can go visit my brother's house and hope to see some of his birth sibling, too. There are so many variables that nobody can say how it will turn out. But then again, that is how it is with birth children. Some reject their parents for no apparent reason, abandon all values they were taught, and live a lifestyle foreign to everything they knew in childhood. We each have our own choices to make, adopted or not. When it comes to the child's personality and life choices, we get what we get - adopted or not.

I have 3 biological children and an adopted child who was adopted at 2.5 and is now 7. She came with an attachment disorder due to her very strange babyhood, so I really had to become educated on RAD and work with a family therapist who is guiding me through the maze. Because she came at a young enough age and because we are following the program, she is expected to make a full recovery, and is definitely on that path to recovery. We've seen major breakthroughs, one even in the last week. It is very exciting to see the progress. There is NO difference in the love I feel for her and the love I feel for my biological children, and there is absolutely nothing I wouldn't do to get her the help she needs - just like I did with a couple of my older children with medical problems.

Yes - adoption is a wonderful gift of love. Get well educated, then go for it!
  • catrivett
    Options
    My husband was adopted and I was a foster child (I was the 5th child and I ratted out my parents for abuse); My husband had a great family and he knew early on that he was adopted. They told him that he was family by choice, that his two younger brother were family by birth. He was one of those kids that helped the family finally have kids of their own. We have one child of our own and always wanted to adopt but couldn't afford the system. Until recently we couldn't afford too do this and now my husband is in his 50's and I am pushing but I still think we should. I hope that at least we can foster children once we settle down in a permanent residence since his job has taken us to 5 states since 1998. Hopefully, we can say no to future positions and stay put. Oh, and one more thing even though I loved my foster parents, I still love my real parents and have finally forgiven them it took alot for that. But I have siblings that I want in my life so I had to do the work. My husband has found his birth family a little as his mother had passed away already but he has one cousin that he gets along with pretty good see him every time we go to our hometown. My best friend was adopted at birth like my husband was and she had trouble in her early teens and adulthood but mainly because she was too proud to ask for financial help when she really needed it. Her relationship is now a good one so I am glad that everyone had patience. Just remember to love them forever as long as all parties involved are alive there is still hope.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine adopted three siblings, and are just finalizing everything. So excited for them.
    Another friend was adopted and just started looking for her birth parents because her parents refused to tell her anything, even medical history. She knows she was scheduled to be aborted, but her birth mother changed her mind. Hasn't made contact yet, but is contemplating it, and the possible effects on her family. She is married and has children and doesn't want to put them into the center of a bunch of drama. We'll see.

I was explaining adoption to my three year old, and we read the children's book "the cow who laid an egg". Pretty well covers it. :-)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    When I'm ready for children, I'm adopting. I'd really like an older child, but my mom is against adopting in the first place and if I must, she insists on a baby. Oh like I'm going to listen to my mom. :laugh:
  • QuixoticTurtle
    Options
    My father's cousin and her husband adopted a boy of about 7yrs. He'd had a reeally rough beginning. I don't recall specifics of his circumstances but I do recall that his mother had a drug problem throughout her pregnancy and after he was lucky to be regularly fed. We were all thrilled they'd decided to give him a loving home. It wasn't easy, the doctors said he had abandonment issues among a while host of other neurosis. Despite the ups and (mostly) downs, they decided to adopt another boy (age 10). Even with the stable household, with love and support; it doesn't erase the developmental handicaps inflicted by their parents and the system, you can only hope to diminish it. The boys are both adults now; they've been in and out of jail. One has 2 infants that may be taken away by social services too. Our cousins, who should be retired, are now broke (financially and emotionally) as a result of cleaning up after the boys' continued lack of judgement are forced to continue providing for them. It's hard to see my family suffer so, but they committed to boys the moment they adopted them and they've followed through.
    Even after having witnessed the destruction these boys have left behind first hand, their story is realistic account of adopting older kids, but it's not the only one. There are more happy endings than not. I, myself, still plan to adopt when I'm in a position to. I applaud you for considering it. I don't wish to scare you off of the idea, and only hope this helps you consider the full ramifications of your decision.

Good Luck!
  • athenawho
    Options
    If it weren't for adoption, I would have never been born.

My father's mother was adopted.
    My mother was adopted.

AND even then---if my parents hadn't have adopted my siblings, I don't know who'd I'd be today.

I can't even think about passing on my crazy genes to child when there are so many children in this world who need homes and need love FROM ANY CAPABLE PARENTS(S)!

There is no doubt in my mind that I will adopt in the next 5 to 10 years.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I would love to adopt or foster a child however my hubby is not thrilled with the idea. He I guess has a phobia of taking in someone elses child, not knowing what could " be wrong" with them. I don't blame him I mean it can be a scary thought. But, people who adopt in my eyes are doing such good deeds :)
  • LolaVaantz
    LolaVaantz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well, I actually work in the social work field and adoption is part of what we do. I've had the extreme pleasure, and extreme pain of being part of this process for multiple children and their families (both those they were born into, and their forever family.) What I can say, is it is can be tremendous gift to your family and the family the kiddo comes from, but as with everything in life not everyone sees eye to eye on it at the same time or ever. Things to caution yourself on: expecting any kind of "perfection", there is no perfect kid either biological or adopted. Each child is special and unique and will have their own mixture of strengths and quirks, if you accept that kiddo as they are and for who they are (or will be) you are already really ahead of the game. Always honor that their bio family will mean something to them, no matter how "bad" their situation was at the time they became adoptable never ever condemn what they came from and just be grateful about the fact that they ultimately got to come to you. If you condemn their family of origin, you condemn a peice of who they are (good bad and ugly folks) and that can lead to a grudge
    People have good and bad experiences of adopted children becoming teens and young adults and the general "who am I" questions that come up, well ALL Of US have those questions, and whether bio or adopted some of us can be jerks and be cruel to our parents who have offered love/support/caring. Don't assume a kiddo will or won't want to seek out their family, take is as it comes, be honest, and sadly be there to pick up the peices if the image they had held dear to their hearts isn't as magical as they hoped.
    I vote go for it if you have the capacity to care for a kiddo, go in with and open heart and eyes wide open. :)
  • MrsDundas87
    Options
    I was adopted when I was 7 and it didnt have a good result for me. My younger sister was adopted with me. MY adoptive parents were very strict and controlling, I remember being happy for the 1st year or so but after that they started getting very controlling. We were no longer allowed to play out. My mum was a teacher and I had to go to her classroom every day after school and help her do filing and putting up displays etc. It meant I never got to see my friends outside of school and when I got to high school by the time we had got home at 5.30 and had dinner and I had done the dishes, it was around 7pm. I then had homework and studying to do. They were issued with 'parenting guidelines' and were still applying the guidelines set out for a 7 year old, when I was 17. We were only allowed to eat at mealtimes and one day I refused to drink my milk as I hated it, so my mum held my nose whilst my father poured it down my throat.

My parents did not like us having contact with our bio father and siblings. I had to call my dad Alex when writing to him and they read everything we sent. Visits were supervised by the social work but were only yearly. When we turned 16 the social work were no longer involved and they (my adoptive parents) made it clear we were not allowed contact. My bio father died of cancer when I was 17 and I still feel so guilty that I hardly knew him. My parents took us to visit him in hospital but my adopted dad didnt listen to our directions and we arrived 5 mins before the end of visiting time. I was then told to hurry up so we could get home. MY sister and I had said we would make our own way there but they insisted on taking us then expected us to spend 5 mins with our terminally ill father. The day he died my adoptive parents took us out for dinner (last place we wanted to be was out for dinner) He died on the saturday and we were in school on the monday.

I was also sexually abused by my adopted father for 5 years. I no longer speak to my adoptive parents and have no good memories of my childhood. My adoptive parents are very affluent and looked like the perfect parents from the outside.

I think adoption is a good thing, if the parents are right. My parents turned me into a people pleaser who was too scared to stand up for myself. My husband has made me a stronger person who fights for my beliefs and will speak up when I feel I have been wronged.