Was my boyfriend lying?

Options
I have put on 10 lbs in the course of a year, and he says he hasn't noticed.I don't know if he is trying to not hurt my feelings or what. He noticed that I've lost weight...so clearly he is paying attention.

Replies

• Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    10lbs is very small in the sense of a gain over a year, I'd believe him saying he didn't notice the gain :)
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When you see someone every day its really hard to notice a small gain like 10 lbs =) I think he was telling the truth.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to sound rude but does it really matter? Seems like he is happy for you that you lost weight and not commenting on the fact that you gained. Maybe you should just be happy that he is like that? :)
  • mrdee555
    mrdee555 Posts: 178
    Options
    When you see someone every day its really hard to notice a small gain like 10 lbs =) I think he was telling the truth.

Id agree with this
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, I assume it was the truth
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Believe him. Mine didn't notice until I got so angry at him and I showed him a picture then he looked shocked. Men don't always notice. He probably notices the weight loss because it is important to you?
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Maybe not. When you are around someone a lot they don't notice things like that. He might have noticed a slight increase but, nothing that would say " shes gained 10 lbs". Same with loosing. He can see you have lost but he wont really be able to see a difference. I know that doesn't make much sense lol but my fiance tells me the same thing. He can tell I am loosing weight but, cant see that big a difference even though I have lost about 23lbs. When I gained weight...he barely noticed lol men
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    babe..my boyfriend didn't notice that i lost 40 lbs lol like others say its hard to notice when you're with someone everyday :) xx
  • rjmlb86
    Options
    I doubt he was lying. Like others have said, when you spend every day with someone you rarely notice small changes. 10lbs over the course of a year isn't major.

Had you moved away from him 6 months ago and come back 10lbs heavier he may have noticed a small change. I noticed you losing weight because you mentioned the weight gain, he then consciously looked and now he can see that you're happy each day you are lighter!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters tbh
  • claudia778
    Options
    its hard to notice when you gain weight when you lose it, its easy to see. I don't believe he noticed since it happened slowly.
  • softsculptor
    Options
    mat
    Don't mean to sound rude but does it really matter? Seems like he is happy for you that you lost weight and not commenting on the fact that you gained. Maybe you should just be happy that he is like that? :)

No, ultimately it is not a big deal, which is why I haven't gotten angry about it. I would just like to know what is going on inside in terms of whether or not he finds me less attractive since I've gained weight.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Hon, 10 pounds is very little when it comes to weight gain, especially over a year. I personally didn't notice when I gained it!
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Go with your gut...easy people telling you what they think but all that matters is, whether you believe him or not! When you see someone all the time, you don't tend to notice these things as much!
  • softsculptor
    Options
    babe..my boyfriend didn't notice that i lost 40 lbs lol like others say its hard to notice when you're with someone everyday :) xx

Whoa! I guess that makes me feel better! I can't believe that....really shocking.
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Totally agree! My husband says that I am not fat in his eyes. And it takes A LOT for him to notice/say something when I lose weight too. Others notice right away, and I get compliments on my hard work from others, but he will say he doesn't see it until I show him pictures.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. 10 lbs is a low number, and you caught it now you can do something about it before it turns into 20 or more!
  • Skyrocket123
    Skyrocket123 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    He sounds lovely and supportive.
    Would you rather he commented on the weight gain and never mentioned the loss?
    He no doubt noticed the spring you have in your step now you've lost some weight and how good it makes you feel. Thats all.
  • softsculptor
    Options
    He sounds lovely and supportive.
    Would you rather he commented on the weight gain and never mentioned the loss?
    He no doubt noticed the spring you have in your step now you've lost some weight and how good it makes you feel. Thats all.

He is lovely, which is what worries me. He is TOO nice! I am afraid he wouldn't be honest for fear it might hurt my feelings. The thing is, when I ask a direct question, I want a direct answer...
  • softsculptor
    Options
    cheeksv, I find your answer more believable. I think he noticed, but didn't register it as a big enough gain to say anything.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I really doubt he noticed. 10lbs is quite small and when you see someone every day it gets even harder.

When I was living at home and my Mum was trying to lose weight, she would say to me "Do you think I've lost weight?" and I'd say "I don't know" because I couldn't notice and I didn't see the point in lying. I think sometimes she'd be hurt by that and would say she has, but I just used to try and tell her that I see her everyday, if she has, that's great but I'm not going to notice so easily as the change is gradual, and to ask someone else who doesn't see her regularly and I'm sure they'll see a change.

I think of it like TV series sometimes. One time I bought a boxset of 5 series. Watched them all really quickly in a matter of weeks - obviously the actors aged quite a bit from young teenagers to adults and changed a lot but I didn't notice at all. It wasn't until I went back to series 1 and was like "Whaaatt? How young did they look there??"