frozen spinach ideas?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have frozen (i froze it from fresh baby spinach i bought from costco) and i have no idea what to do with it! Any ideas? I have used some of it before for not so healthy dishes .. problem is, once i take it out of the freezer and it defrosts, its pretty wilted and soft and decreases a lot in size.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I make this quiche and eat it for breakfast. It freezes and reheats really well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/340911-spinach-onion-feta-quiche?hl=spinach+feta+quiche#posts-4586607
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I add it to speghetti sauce....extra veggies for us and the kids!
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Also, you can mix the spinach with fat free ricotta cheese and mozzarella, stuff large manicotti shells, cover with marinara sauce and bake.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Use it in a spinach dip. Try Knorr's spinach dip.
    http://knorr.com/Recipes/6200/1/Knorr-Spinach-Dip.aspx
  • Rheatheylia
    Rheatheylia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Add some to a fruit smoothie to make a green smoothie, super easy way to trick yourself into getting more veggies!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Also, you can mix the spinach with fat free ricotta cheese and mozzarella, stuff large manicotti shells, cover with marinara sauce and bake.
    This is what I do and it's delicious!
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I add frozen spinach to enchiladas..

use the green enchilada sauce and add black beans and spinach. Great with pepper jack cheese and fresh chopped green onion and a jalapeno!!!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Mix it with a few egg whites, some cottage cheese, a little pit of parm and spices. Bake it and you have yourself a delicious spinach pie!
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Spinach stuffed mushrooms, spinach stuffed chicken, spinach on top of salmon, spinach omelet, lol I love spinach
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I put defrosted spinach in spaghetti, enchiladas, lasagna, etc. I also like to just heat it and eat it with deli mustard or sautee it with a little onion and garlic.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options

i did the same thing except i stuffed chicken breasts and made pasta noodles to serve with the chicken.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    All great ideas! I love to add it to scrambled eggs, eat it plain with some hot sauce, or cook the spinach, add some diced chicken, wholewheat pasta, diced tomatoes, jalepenos, & homemeade alfredo sauce..mmmmm
  • JenHollandsworth
    JenHollandsworth Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like to saute spinach with onions, mushrooms, olivio, and spices. Then, I use it as filling in burritos and enchiladas.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    I add frozen spinach to enchiladas..

use the green enchilada sauce and add black beans and spinach. Great with pepper jack cheese and fresh chopped green onion and a jalapeno!!!

*swoon* I think I'm crushing on you. :love:
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Saute spinach, tomatoes, onions - sprinkle with a little italian seasoning & parmesan or feta cheese

I also dump frozen spinach into stews that are slow cooking overnight with lots of veggies like turkey vegetable chili or curry black beans & chicken
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm going to add a box of frozen spinach to my lasagna soup tonight. But I love spinach.

OR:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/spinach-lasagna-rolls.html

OR:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/09/creamed-spinach-lightened-up.html

OR add it to eggs, soup, stuff chicken. Spinach ideas are endless!
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    WOW :happy: thank you all for these ideas!! Definately going to give them a try!!
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like it with scrambled eggs and salmon :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    cook some red lentils with some chopped onions and carrots and garlic. When the lentils are mushy and you have soup consistency. add the spinach and cook for a few minutes. Add salt, pepper and lemon/lime juice to taste. YUM!
  • mom22qties
    Options
    I add frozen spinach to homemade Italian wedding soup, vegetable soup and spaghetti sauce.