Cheating...

Options
I find myself struggling with what I guess can be winter depression and going on crazy eating binges. Its been getting worse since Thanksgiving. The weather is probably not helping. I've noticed the ups and downs on my daily weigh ins which I am starting to crazily obsess about. I have been pretty good about exercising daily but with kids and hubby not dieting, there are things in the house that are not the best choices that I tend to gravitate towards. I have been indulging but have just tried to discipline myself and make it just a "taste" and try not to overdo it. And with the holidays upon us, I am the baker and everyone expects the traditional goodies that I make every year. I know I will snap out of it just needed a moment to vent...

Replies

• Roseanne64
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I am looking for anything inspirational that will help too. I know we have to draw a line in the sand and "Make it happen". No one else can do that for us.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Try some Vitamin D.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have to take a low dose antidepressant to get through this time of year. There's no shame in that.
  • bunniestookover
    bunniestookover Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Really focus on today, and try not to look ahead. I'm always looking forward to "the month" I lose 20 pounds, and ignore the present day and binge all I want. The healthier you eat today, and the extra 20 min you add to your workout, the more it shows in the future! Stay positive, Rome wasn't build in a day. And remember, nothing gets easier, you get stronger!! Keep it up guys, this can happen!
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i struggle too i have fook it days where i just eat then i want to eat the bad stuff even more because i have a taste for it again. what i do when i get like this is try to make sure i only have healthy stuff in basically ive naughty stuff already. then once i get over the craving i get back on the horse and give it my all i like you exercise even when im not eating so well but id like to be able to break that circle of events too
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Really focus on today, and try not to look ahead. I'm always looking forward to "the month" I lose 20 pounds, and ignore the present day and binge all I want. The healthier you eat today, and the extra 20 min you add to your workout, the more it shows in the future! Stay positive, Rome wasn't build in a day. And remember, nothing gets easier, you get stronger!! Keep it up guys, this can happen!

Wow, this is some great advice. Live each day for what it is....try to make the best of it. Give each day the attention it deserves and the long-term won't seem so daunting! Good luck, and keep coming back here.
  • cushtush
    cushtush Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do know what you are going through... I gained back 4 lbs of the 10 lbs I lost... due to over indulgement and not going to the gym... however I know beating myself up will only make me say.. wth... I blew it I might as well eat that roll of oreos!! Together we can keep on fighting the winter blues... good luck
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    38, I also used to do a lot of baking at the holidays and last year I finally said "no" for a lot of reasons.

1. I always eat what I bake.

2. It's a lot of time in the kitchen and a lot of opportunity to sample stuff.

3. I don't need to make cookies for people to show them I love them.

4. When people bring in treats to work or gift them at Christmas, I feel kinda sad and left out because I know I can't eat just one, and I hate thinking that someone else might feel the same way.

5. Life is easier for me when there aren't a crapload of homemade baked goods in the house, and I know for sure it's easier on my friends. I don't want to contribute to their struggles.

6. I'd rather spend the time hand-painting Christmas ornaments for my friends which they will actually keep from year to year.

5 is really the most important.

Consider scaling down your baking. Might help.

Feel free to add me as a friend (I'm a compulsive eater and struggle hard with it).
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,961 Member
    Options
    bunnies advice is KEY - you need only worry about the next day. Take it one day at a time. And, if "one day" is overwhelming, than take it one hour at a time. And, if "one hour" is overwhelming, than take it one minute at a time.

Break it down into small increments, at which you will succeed - and those successes will build on themselves.

For today, make the right choice! Just for today...you can worry about tomorrow when it comes.
  • ShannTron
    Options
    I live in Portland Oregon which is cloudy, raining, and cold most of the year. Tips for winter blues!

1.A good whole food pro biotic vitamin!!! You NEED to take vitamins!
    2.Water...alot of it.
    3. Stop weighing yourself daily...omg that is not doing anything but reinforcing your self sabatoge.
    4. Bake low calorie and high fiber... it is possible. www.allrecipes.com
    5. Keep posting and writing here.....no judgement...I dont know you, but it is all love and understanding!
    6. Addiction is addiction....see it for what it is. Sugar and fat are drugs. I am 42 days not smoking....I cannot take a puff of a smoke, dont take a taste of goodies.
    7. Walk, exercise, get out of the house, Even when it is cold, gloomy etc....exercise is the BEST for winter blues and making those cravings go away.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/low-calorie/main.aspx

xoxoxox....keep going! add me as a friend if you wanna!
    Shannon~
  • NewMeTomG
    NewMeTomG Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Understand. My wife and I were just talking about this very topic the other day. Seems like when the weather changes here in Ohio from warm to cold, our bodies kick in and start taking over our common sense by some ancient cerebral code that tells us it is time to store up for winter!
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    i struggle too i have fook it days where i just eat then i want to eat the bad stuff even more because i have a taste for it again. what i do when i get like this is try to make sure i only have healthy stuff in basically ive naughty stuff already. then once i get over the craving i get back on the horse and give it my all i like you exercise even when im not eating so well but id like to be able to break that circle of events too

Yep I get like this too. If I get a taste for it I want it even more. The longer I go without it, the better off I am. I think it kills the cycle in a lot of ways. I used to be a huge chocoholic. I could eat it every single day. Now I rarely touch it. I tried to eat some cake and cookies for Thanksgiving and it was too sweet I didn't even enjoy it.
    My husband isn't trying to diet either. At first we would still buy his junk food and I would have to have it sit there taunting me all day, and we finally decided this time around he could eat it out of the house. Now if he wants something like that he will stop at a store or fast food restaurant when he is on his way to work or on his lunch so I will never even see it. It's helped a lot. Maybe you could try something like that? Any other thing I eat, even if it's not really healthy, I just try to make sure I can budget it in. It's not too big of a deal to me as long as it doesn't make me go over my goals. Good luck and you can get through this!
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I live in Portland Oregon which is cloudy, raining, and cold most of the year. Tips for winter blues!

1.A good whole food pro biotic vitamin!!! You NEED to take vitamins!
    2.Water...alot of it.
    3. Stop weighing yourself daily...omg that is not doing anything but reinforcing your self sabatoge.
    4. Bake low calorie and high fiber... it is possible. www.allrecipes.com
    5. Keep posting and writing here.....no judgement...I dont know you, but it is all love and understanding!
    6. Addiction is addiction....see it for what it is. Sugar and fat are drugs. I am 42 days not smoking....I cannot take a puff of a smoke, dont take a taste of goodies.
    7. Walk, exercise, get out of the house, Even when it is cold, gloomy etc....exercise is the BEST for winter blues and making those cravings go away.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/low-calorie/main.aspx

xoxoxox....keep going! add me as a friend if you wanna!
    Shannon~

That's some great advice! I love everything you said!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    from last summer to next summer i have made some rules for myself. zero fast food, no store bough cookies, cake, candy etc...and very few cheat meals and they have to be something special. my cheat meals arent scheduled. im probably averaging 1 every 6 weeks. if i am giong to have something sweet it will be a high quality dessert at a restaurant and ill only have a few bits of it.

so far this is working great...i am 5 months in and losing 10 pounds a month. the cool thing is now that i so rarely have high sugar foods or high fat foods i hardly crave them. i try to eat a lot of lean protein and that seems to keep me full and happy.
  • 38meanie
    Options
    WOW! Did not realize how much this community is there for support! Thanks so much for the words of wisdom and inspiration! Its sunny today so its a better day! Getting out of the house is key and will look into more vitamins and like most of you said...take it a day at a time! Thanks again!