Banking Calories

Options
So, my husband and I are taking my ILs out for dinner tonight at Longhorn. I had 350 cals left last night. Can I bank those with todays cals? Just wondering what other are doing in situations like this.

Replies

• llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Works for me. I run every other day and routinely bank half the calories so earned for the non-run day that follows.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    No, you can't bank your calories like that. If you know where you're going, lookup their nutritional information on their website. At Longhorn, I usually go with the small salmon, 1/2 of a plain sweet potato and asparagus. Not many calories and not much sodium. Your alternative is to take the meal off and eat whatever you want.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There is a term used for that, zig zagging. I hear it can be quite successful for many people. Do what works for you and Good luck!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. There has to be some time limit though.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    No, you can't bank your calories like that. If you know where you're going, lookup their nutritional information on their website. At Longhorn, I usually go with the small salmon, 1/2 of a plain sweet potato and asparagus. Not many calories and not much sodium. Your alternative is to take the meal off and eat whatever you want.
    Yes, actually you can.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If your overall calorie goal for the week is under your goal, it will probably be fine. Just make good choices and enoy yourself.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I try not to do it regularly, but if I happen to go over board, I'll try to keep it light the next few days.. I try to keep my weekly average under my limit.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Why not?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. There has to be some time limit though.
    Many people use a weekly total. I think most people would agree that from one day to the next would work just fine. It's slightly over 24 hours, after all.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Technically you could! .. It's all about calorie deficit... so at the end of the week if you have 3500 calorie deficit over the week, you should lose 1lb... You just have to get right back to your normal routine tomorrow... and not make it an everyday thing... it's all about that deficit...it's not just about 1 day, its an overall living thing.. so technically yes you can
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Sorry double post
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Yep, bank away!
  • JuliePete
    Options
    I guess I should add that I am not in favor of "banking calories" for more than 1-2 days. It would be pointless otherwise. I understand that I could just to do more exercise to "gain" calories, but I don't have the time to fit more in before we go.
  • deegeyspazms
    deegeyspazms Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I find if I go over my cals, the next day I'm not as hungry - which is nice... I've never gained weight after a one-night binge. My brother does MFP and he banks cals most weekends - and he has also sustained a steady weight loss. I would try to make sensible choices if possible! However - I've just been out for an English breakfast - so I can hardly preach!
    Enjoy your meal!
    xxx
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i say go enjoy your dinner out, hell one damn night over isnt going to kill you
  • JuliePete
    Options
    As for the eating...I have already looked at the menu online, and think I know exactly what I am going to get, but know that going out for a nice dinner (espeically a steak place) it could tend to get out of control and wanted to have a little cushion "just-in-case".
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yes, actually you can.

Agreed. No reason you can't bank your calories. You're going for an overall deficit. Your body isn't going to gain if you're net calories each week are where they should be.

Still, I would suggest trying to find nutritional information before you go so you don't go too far over. 350 extra can be eaten in a few forkfuls if you're not careful.

Enjoy your dinner!
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You totally can... is not like you are talking about eating the 5000 calories you saved last month. Nothing wrong with what you are about to do.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Why not? Why would you say that?

IMO You can totally bank your calories. Look at your goal over a week and it will tell you.