Worst Present you've recieved

Options

Replies

• sunshine2015
    Options
    Can't really say I got a gift I didn't like for Christmas, however my birthday was a different story - so embrassing! My brother in-law (now ex brother-law) got this leather whip for me, and I opened it in front of all my family including my mom and my ex husbands mom at the time. He said don't you remember you told me you wanted this for your birthday - I almost died of embrassement......hahaha
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Bridal Shower gift from my SIL.... A bath set. Not bad... Oh Wait! It's the one I gave HER for Christmas the year before!

Ahahah! The magically returning presents are the best! I love them!!! :laugh:

A had it wrapped up to give back to her at Christmas last year, but figured it wasn't worth it. Put it in my bathroom, I LOVE bubble bath and bath salts and all things girlie! LOL
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Re-gifted earrings. And by re-gifted, I mean one still had ear gunk crusted on the post.

ewwwww
    how did you have the will power not to gag?

I didn't notice it until later, when I went to put it in. I may have gagged. I *know* I sneered.

It was my brother's girlfriend...luckily, she didn't marry into the family.
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm not the ungrateful type but my ex-MIL got me bras and panties the first christmas I was married to her son. So very...odd.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Dolls. It seemed like every year my grandmother would give me a doll and I have never played with them. They all became dust collectors.

Even worse, one year my other grandmother gave me these Santa Christmas lights. A string of light-up plastic Santa heads with furry beards. I was around 10. What was I going to with those hideous things?
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. Ok for my 21st birthday (the big important coming of age year in NZ) my boyfriend of just under 2 years gave me.... a little novelty device that I could clip onto my keys and then use a remote to make them beep. I got him flying lessons (he has always wanted to be a pilot) for his birthday a few months before. And I get a key finder. Ok I lose my keys a lot. But seriously 21st is the big deal birthday - don't buy me a gift that points out my flaws!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    My husband got me TOOLS for Valentines day when we were dating! He still defends this by saying "they were in a red box" and "I used them to fix things at her condo"...but his true motive was that he knew we'd eventually be living together and they'd be his "in the house' tool set....ugh!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    A clown doll. I hate clowns!!!!
    Oh yeah! My dad got me a creepy clown doll one year. Seemed like he actually put some thought into it, too, which made it really bizarre.
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    mine was a maternity dress 3 months after I miscarried, from my MIL, just in case I get pg again.

B*tch!

Mine wasn't as horrific as that. My aunt gave me a t-shirt for my 18th birthday that she had originally given to my GRANNY. She thought it was too "old fashioned" so gave it back to my aunt.... She then gave it to me.

Thanks
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    the most atrocious looking peachy orangey coral colored tank top made of a polyester chiffon wanna-be with vertical ruffles (wtf?) and we're textured ribbing on the front. it was too short, too wide, and the neckline was the most awkward shape.

i wanted to mat and frame it.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Lol i've never been given a regifted present that I know of!!
  • tamaraland
    Options
    a bottle of crown royal, shortly after telling my mom I had to quit drinking because my liver couldn't process it anymore. talk about mixed messages.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My grandmother has a habit of buying me weird wooden earrings even though she has NEVER seen me wear anything like that, but one of the worst ever (from the same grandmother) was this teeny little shirt that was sheer and supposed to stretch out to almost any size. Hideous!
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    my mom gave me a cheap plastic miniture barbie doll, I was 18yrs old.
  • misskerouac
    Options
    My grandmother has a habit of buying me weird wooden earrings even though she has NEVER seen me wear anything like that, but one of the worst ever (from the same grandmother) was this teeny little shirt that was sheer and supposed to stretch out to almost any size. Hideous!

HAHA I love when people give stuff that is "one size" and I think "Just because it SAYS one size fits all, doesn't mean it's going to be flattering on someone my size!"
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    Last year my MIL gave me silverware.... Not a family heirloom or anything but silverware from a pay by the month catalog!!! she was living with us at the time and she had plenty of money to spend on something that I asked for rather than a crappy gift!! she did it out of spite!!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    My mom is a horrible gift giver... and always gets upset that we don't absolutely LOVE her presents... I've told her repeatedly that I don't want stuff for my apartment, I already have everything I need and all the extra dishes she gets me just sit around and clutter my very tiny kitchen... yet 80 percent of my Birthday and Christmas presents every year... you guessed it! Dishes!

She is also notorious for giving us presents that she already gave us the year before... but we didn't want...so we left at her house... she forgets, wraps them up again next year, and gives them to us again.

When I turned 13, my sister who was only 4 at the time came in and gave me a picture that she drew... Ambiguous as little kid drawings often are, I asked her if it was her or me or what, she said... actually, its a tick... as in the blood sucking insect that gives you Lyme Disease ... she drew me a picture of a birthday tick... at least we got a lot of laughs out of that one.
  • misskerouac
    Options
    Last year my MIL gave me silverware.... Not a family heirloom or anything but silverware from a pay by the month catalog!!! she was living with us at the time and she had plenty of money to spend on something that I asked for rather than a crappy gift!! she did it out of spite!!

Funny enough that is one present we never got for our wedding that we actually really wanted because we didn't want to have to buy it ourselves. BUT if you already have silverware it seems like an odd choice for a gift!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I tell my husband repeatedly that I want romantic gifts from him since he is the only one I can accept a romantic gift from. So I get the most practical things every Christmas and birthday. Yay. More appliances and stuff when I've said repeatedly that I want a hot rock massage or a manicure... Anything that makes me feel less like a mom and more like a woman. But no, I got a fan bake toaster oven. We use it, but it sits there in the kitchen mocking me.
    This year, I'm going to tell him I'm booking myself a massage, he can put some effort into getting a card at least. Or I'll buy myself clothes and tell him its his gift of having a well dressed wife. Haha
  • misskerouac
    Options
    Haha my mom is pretty bad too sometimes, I'm 28, my sister is 31, and she still feels the need to buy us matching presents in different colours. And usually it's really girly crap, my sister and I both are not girly at all.