How to Get Rid of the Fat Over These Great Muscles

Options
I have, unfortunately, let myself go in the last couple of years because my time was given to everyone else but me. I have always enjoyed lifting weight and consider myself to have a great muscle base. However, I have this unfortunate layer of fat over it so it just looks like more and more fat.

That has to go. That's my goal. It sounds crazy, but when I exercise I gain weight, which is just one small reason I avoid it.

I hate cardio workouts. Let's just put that out there. To walk on a treadmill is boring and I won't do it. I like to lift while getting cardio at the same time.

Is there a way to burn fat without too much cardio and without building the muscle base too much. That will come later. Right now I am focused on cutting the fat.

Thanks!:ohwell:

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I cut by lifting heavy and staying in a calorie deficit. I don't do any cardio.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to focus more on eating properly than exercising.
  • susanmax
    Options
    Try 30 day shed (Jillian Micheals) it has strength training and cardio!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    cardio sculpt or tae bo...
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This is what worked for me: Lift hard + 30 min cardio - 3 times per week
    Hardcore cardio (90 minutes) - 3 times per week
    1600 calories base per day and very, very low percentage of fat consumed.

Everyone is different but that worked for me.

BTW: I tried losing fat without cardio and it didn't happen. I wanted it to work, but no luck. So now I am in love with cardio. We just have to switch up our thinking!

Good luck!
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    p90x sounds good. You are lifting and doing calisthetics, but sooo many reps that it's more a cardio workout. You should also look into HIIT, Zumba, and other types of fun cardio activities. I always ssaid I hated cardio too until I started INSANITY.

See my hatred for cardio was severly outweighed by my determination to get rid of the fat over my muscles as well as my love for challenges.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    focus on healthy eating, small portions of course and doing different workouts to challenge your body. To lose weight its 70-80 % of eating clean and only the rest is doing exercise.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371

www.bodyrock.tv
    www.myomytv.com
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Oh, and caloric deficit is the most imporant thing. Healthy eating does most of the work. Even if you lift. You won't be able to put on much (if any) muscle in a deficit. You'll burn calories lifting weights too. Most of the added weight will probably be due to water retention and other factors involved with strengthening your muscles.

In sum, go ahead and do what you like to do. Lift weights. Just be sure to keep your eating in check.
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    cardio sculpt or tae bo...

Tae bo!!! You gotta love Billy lol :) those are awesome workouts and a lot of fun too :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I use the Free Flexor.

9DBA36F8-orig.jpg
  • fabulis1
    fabulis1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I hate cardio, but I think I'm going to have to buck up and find something I like. I used to do kickboxing, so maybe I can find classes around my area. At least that's something I'm interested in.

Take care and thank you for your time!!!
  • fabulis1
    Options
    You all are awesome! Thank you so much! Great advice...sorry for the two posts. I thought I could reply to each on individually....
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I use the Free Flexor.

9DBA36F8-orig.jpg

Teaches two great skills at once...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

^^^This
  • lord_lethris
    lord_lethris Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, great abs, puppy fat.

I just gotta keep with the diet. unfortunately my lifestyle and work, I don't have time to nip to the Gym, and my house is too small for weights.

The XBox Kinect and walking 40min to and from work keeps me exercised
    I use the Free Flexor.

9DBA36F8-orig.jpg

Lol, very Phallic. "Cup them balls boy!"
  • Tjarvi
    Tjarvi Posts: 53
    Options

My trainer does that too. I need to try that after vacation=)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I love cardio. Tae Bo is my number one workout.

A body starts in the kitchen. Eat healthy, follow the food pyramid. Drink plenty of water. Cardio burns fat.
  • fabulis1
    Options
    I've never heard of the Free Flexor. Must look that one up!

You're all amazing! Thank you! :wink:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    From my experience I would say that frequent high intensity cardio work outs are the best way to lose fat.
    That being said, I totally get that most "standard" cardio is boring beyond comprehension!
    Things you might want to try:
    Martial Arts - I do Capoeira & Jeet Kune Do. Other cool and currently popular styles are Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - Tae Kwon Do - Aikido - etc.
    Boxing - A great cardio workout!!! Any decent boxing gym will set you up with a program that does not involve any actual combat. Just a killer routine that burn fat like a blow torch!
    Skipping - Cheap - easy & simple. Do a few minutes before you do your weights and a few minutes after. As you get used to it, increase the speed and duration.
    Cross training - If you are a gym member ask if they offer a class. This can be a great workout that combines strength & cardio training.
    Hope you find something that works and is fun!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need more than 20 minutes of cardio. HIIT makes that 20 minutes go by really fast too.