Eating when I'm tired...

Options
Some mornings I am so tired that I literally can't keep my eyes open, and that's when I reach straight for the sugar. Usually a candy bar. I know what I should do instead: take a walk around the office, drink some water and wait a few minutes, get a cup of coffee or tea... But I don't. I even pause when I'm about to grab that candy bar and think, "Sarah, this is going to make you sorry later!" but I still cave. Any words of wisdom on how to stop in that moment before I grab the sugar and make a healthier choice?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    coffee
  • nycko20
    Options
    Coffee!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Is there a bowl of candy bars just sitting around or something, where you can just grab it? Just like that? No pauses? Or do you have to go back to the break/conference/lunch room and get it out of the vending machine? Do you pay money for it? Doesn't make sense to me......
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    Coffee, tea, water are good choices. Jump up and down for a few minutes. That helps me :)
  • AMIS456
    AMIS456 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Dont keep candy bars handy? Of if you are buying them from a vending machine keep your change in your car that way you have to take the walk to get it and can talk yourself out of it. Oh and definitely COFFEE!!!:smile:
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Why not buy yourself a box of breakfast bars, energy bars, clif bars... something so when you think about grabbing the candybar, you grab something healthier instead. Stash them in your desk. It's better for you and cheaper! I love chocolate chip Clif Crunch Bars. Yum!
  • katcj
    katcj Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eating a sugary snack might give you an instant 'hit' to make you feel more awake, but it won't last and you'll probably end up feeling even more lethargic and hungry! Why not try something like a banana instead? Sweet(ish) tasting but loads better for you!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Ice water.
    Your body has to work hard to cool it down.
    If water had calories it would be negative calories due to thermogenesis!
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I keep protein bars around for specifically this reason.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ice water.
    Your body has to work hard to cool it down.
    If water had calories it would be negative calories due to thermogenesis!

Yea, you can burn a whopping 33 kcals per LITER of ice water
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    If you do cardio in a fasted state it tends to wake you up also!
  • therealkatarr
    Options
    Why not buy yourself a box of breakfast bars, energy bars, clif bars... something so when you think about grabbing the candybar, you grab something healthier instead. Stash them in your desk. It's better for you and cheaper! I love chocolate chip Clif Crunch Bars. Yum!

I do this! I definitely suggest going the breakfast or granola bar route.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I like diet pop. Dr. Pepper with cherry is sweat and has a lot of caffine.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Some mornings I am so tired that I literally can't keep my eyes open, and that's when I reach straight for the sugar. Usually a candy bar.

Do you eat a healthy breakfast before leaving the house in the morning?
  • sjcsviola85
    Options
    Some mornings I am so tired that I literally can't keep my eyes open, and that's when I reach straight for the sugar. Usually a candy bar.

Do you eat a healthy breakfast before leaving the house in the morning?

Try Porridge !!
    This time last week I was struggling to get up before 10am ( havent got a job atm due to lack of teaching posts) but now i've started going to the gym every morning i've had to start dragging myself out of bed at like 7am, literally roll out of bed, have a glass of water and make some porridge (dunno if you have the same over in the US but we have microwave flavoured porridge here - 2 mins and done ... brilliant for winter too.

anyway back on track/topic - this past couple days when i've been less rigid about when I go to the gym, i've struggled to actually SLEEP past 7am.... my bed times havent changed ( about 12-1am) but my energy levels during the day have been through the roof (and thats taking into account 1 or 2 fitness classes like zumba/step plus some gym work plus a 20-40 min swim!) ....

I deffo recommend porridge lol!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

Yum! Me too!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    How about trying to address the sleep quality issues? I realize that this is easier said than done, but is there a reason you aren't getting enough sleep? Are you nursing an infant, working shift work, or something?
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    How about trying to address the sleep quality issues? I realize that this is easier said than done, but is there a reason you aren't getting enough sleep? Are you nursing an infant, working shift work, or something?

That was my thought.......
    Beyond addressing getting more sleep, coffee is a good one. So is eating more protein.
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Why is it in the house?

Had to detox mine....Now, tired or not, only choices are healthy ones.:flowerforyou:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Yum! Me too!
    Ew...cherry flavored sweat with caffeine?