How quickly we fall off the wagon...

Options
I have been working for the last two years to get healthy and shed many unwanted pounds. I know I am an emotional eater. I learned from a very young age to eat to hide myself from others. I guess in someways I thought I would become invisible. It took years for me to realize that I don't want to be invisible and even more that I deserve better. I don't think of it as a diet. I am not trying to lose all my weight in a few months. I am OK with slow and steady progress. For me shedding the weight has to be therapeutic and life changing otherwise it will come back.

These last 2 months I have slowly fell off the wagon. Eating when I am not hungry. Believing I am hungry when I can't possibly be hungry. I have found excuses not to go to the gym. But it all stops now. I can't go back to who and what I was. I haven't really gained any lbs but I have gained an inch in my waist, etc...

This is a lifestyle I tell myself. I am an all or nothing person and so I strive to find balance with diet, exercise, and life. Any words of wisdom, advise, or just similar stories would be helpful as I am doing this mainly alone. Except I do have some awesome MFP friends who are a constant motivation.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The wagon is pulled by two fat and elderly Shetland ponies, it won't be tough to jump back on! :wink:
  • nighthawke
    nighthawke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Treat every decision you make regarding food during the day as the only decision that counts.

If you mess up throughout the day, don't let it be an invitation to mess up the rest of the day. Every single decision to eat a healthy meal is a step down the right path.

You can do it!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That is what happened to me last year. I actually lost over 100 lbs and kept most of it off until about a year and a half ago. I slowly started not being consistant with my eathing and exercising. Instead of one bad day a month, it was slowly becoming 1 to 2 bad days a week. I went from 150 to almost to 170!! I had to turn it around.....then I found this place!! I have lost down to about 145 and am very happy at my size! Focus and being consistant is the most important!! Good luck! You can do it!
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm so PROUD of you girl!!!!! My psych told me that relapse is a very big part of the journey, its human nature to fall back into old familiar patterns....BUT you have the courage and strength to get back up and kick butt!!! that is awesome, we only fail when we don't try....I don't care how many times we fall down girl as long as we get back up! Keep up the great work and always here for you...:o) You are my 3rd MFP this week to pick up again and keep moving forward, this is awesome!!! xxx
  • evansfarber
    evansfarber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are a big part of the reason why I am doing this. I see you posting about body combat and I think...I want to be like her. You have done so much work emotionally to get to where you are, work I have barely begun which is why I keep losing and gaining the same few pounds. I am proud of you and I have faith that you can do this. :smile:
  • vivie72
    vivie72 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words. I appreciate all of your support. I know that each day is a choice and life will always have obstacles. We can all do this!!!!
  • KirstFaye
    KirstFaye Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I too have lost the weight and not stayed on the path of a life choice to keep it off. And don't get me started on emotional eating! 200lbs is my scare weight, and what I mean by that is that i get to that 200 and the number never dips down to onederland. Then the emotional eating and self doubt come into play.....well not anymore.
    MFP has changed my entire approach, and is changing my life 1 pound at a time. You look fantastic, 54lbs is fantastic, now lets go and chase the two elderly shetland ponies and jump back on the wagon, it is so worth the ride.
  • brigbug
    Options
    It's so easy to fall back in to bad habits...that's the word for it...EASY! Losing the weight and keeping it off isn't, but you can keep it up. We all need to have each others back on here. It's great that you caught yourself before you allowed yourself to just fall back into the old overweight you.
    I have done the yo yo thing for years. This is the first time in my life that I have lost weight and kept it off for any length of time. I feel better at 40 than I did at 25 or 30. It's amazing. Just keep your head up and focused on that feeling you get when the scale says that lower number! :)
  • brigbug
    Options
    It's so easy to fall back in to bad habits...that's the word for it...EASY! Losing the weight and keeping it off isn't, but you can keep it up. We all need to have each others back on here. It's great that you caught yourself before you allowed yourself to just fall back into the old overweight you.
    I have done the yo yo thing for years. This is the first time in my life that I have lost weight and kept it off for any length of time. I feel better at 40 than I did at 25 or 30. It's amazing. Just keep your head up and focused on that feeling you get when the scale says that lower number! :)
  • vivie72
    vivie72 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    now lets go and chase the two elderly shetland ponies and jump back on the wagon, it is so worth the ride.

I love it!!