Can't keep up with all the food!

Options
So I am 9 lbs away from goal, to be frank, for the first time in 29 years I am actually quite happy with where I am today. My final goal is to be 115 before my 30th bday. (Next June... Yay me). So I have plenty of time... =)

In October I hit a plateau, where I was working out like a crazy woman and could not get passed 127. So after chatting with a few friends on MFP, I decided to increase my calorie intake, that seems to have done the trick. Now I am back to losing, which of course is wonderful... except I can't keep up with all the food! My magic deficit number is 200 calories, so of course the more I workout the more I have to eat, but many times I'm just not hungry... like today. I've had my post workout protein shake, I'm about to have dinner and I still have 400 calories to spare! I know many may be rolling their eyes.. but this is a big problem for me as I don't want to cut down my workouts ( I workout 5-6 days a week) I enjoy what I do.

Anyway just posting to see if anyone else out there has had this issue...

Thanks for reading!
Xo
MissWeniki

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    A good problem to have. Congrats on your success.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I keep almonds and protein bars for when I'm in this range.
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I deal with this all the time, and I'm at the general beginning of my journey. I think its the answer the the big question of ...

WHY CAN"T I LOOSE WEIGHT!?

I would say do anything to add the calories, without adding fat or sugar, or good stuff.. maybe a better idea is to add more good calories to each meal as to spread them out over the day......
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I'm right there with ya sister!! :flowerforyou:

I upped my calories to 1650 and eat back my burn calories most days but 3 days a week I'm under by 600-800 calories even after dinner due to a late yoga class and I force myself to eat something. On those days I try really hard to eat alot thru out the day to make up for it but I can only eat so much. I don't like eating when I'm not hungry - that's what got me here in the first place.

I'm interested to see what people have to say and how they deal with it.
  • AliceWiller
    Options
    Very simple. If you can't eat all you need to eat, Then chose Higher Calorie foods. Add some Peanut butter to your toast for example.
    Its not hard to add in calories and make your healthy intake goal. Good Luck
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise? How about doing less of it so you have less of a deficit to try to make up? I'd focus on strength training over cardio.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Try to boost up your metabolism here is some useful site:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371
    www.bodyrock.tv
    www.myomytv.com
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I sometimes fall short by about 200-400 calories, too. My newest addition is any of the trailmixes from Trader Joes. A serving has about 200 calories and is 1/4 cup, so it is bearable when you aren't hungry. Hope that helps!
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Very simple. If you can't eat all you need to eat, Then chose Higher Calorie foods. Add some Peanut butter to your toast for example.
    Its not hard to add in calories and make your healthy intake goal. Good Luck

MMMM, PEANUT BUTTER.

Yes, this. Peanut butter spread on a snickers bar then rolled in mini chocolate chips. :wink:
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Almonds have become my best friend for problems like this =)
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I have been doing mixed nuts with low salt. I am always trying to eat more throughout the day especially since I have added 45 minutes of Zumba to my nightly routine. I have trouble getting to 1200 calories and then to add the 45 minutes of cardio to the mix I am shy about 500-600 every day.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Just plan to eat more tomorrow.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Definitely nuts like almonds, peanut butter, a double scoop of protein powder instead of 1, higher calorie whole grain breads, full fat cheese, have all helped for me.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Start by eating a big breakfast, and add in unsalted nuts during the day. Nuts are a sure way to get in the cals because they are very high in cals but not very filling.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm also 9 pounds away from my goal of 115 and I'd like to get there by the time I turn 30 in August! I work out a ton too but I really like eating the calories back. :)

I've done the opposite thing with calories- I've looked for ways to cut back. For example, I switched to a bread that has 80 calories per slice instead of 110. Maybe you can make little switches to add more calories that way without adding more food? Like eat the same amount of bread but pick the one with more calories. Have 2% milk instead of skim. Go for the full fat/calorie salad dressing. Add condiments. Basically do the opposite of the things that other people who are trying to make easy changes in their diet to decrease their total amount of calories do. I would personally opt to just eat an extra snack or helping of dinner- but it seems like you really don't want to eat more so this is my suggestion to you! :) good luck!
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a happy problem to have! Perhaps I'm way out there with this one, but isn't hunger your body's way of saying, "I need fuel, feed me now"? If you aren't hungry, then perhaps you don't need to eat?

Aside from that though, is it possible you might be drinking too much water? I know this sounds absurd and we all need at least 8 glasses a day, but here's where I'm coming from... Most of the time, when I think I'm hungry, I'm really just thirsty, so if I drink water, then I don't feel hungry. On the other hand, if you are utterly floating in water, your stomach will feel full but not have any nutrition. So you won't think about eating because your body thinks it has a lot of fuel to get through.

Otherwise, try adding quality calories to every meal... Trail mixes, nuts, etc are great options for snacks. I've also added things like a handful of grapes and a cheese stick or 1 scrambled egg and a piece of whole grain bread to make a sammie. Just a few more ideas to throw into the mix. Hope this was ok (it's my first post ;) )
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Look for foods with high unsaturated fats, especially mono-unsaturated fats. Those kinds of fats work to make you blood triglycerides and cholesterol better. Anything with high fats will get you more calories for less full. People are giving good examples above, like Nuts and Nut Butters. Hummus has some carbs, but it also if full of tahini, which is sesame paste, and has a lot of unsaturated oil.
  • radfordgal05
    Options
    I do this everyday. So I usually end with a spoon of peanut butter. It is not really that filling so it doesn't bother me to eat it. A lot of times if I am falling short I eat the peanut butter while making dinner.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I end most days with 20-40 shelled peanuts (that's 40 individual peanuts, not 40 "pairs", mind you). High calories and slow burning fats for endurance workouts.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think its about finding the balance between exercise and food - if you can't eat enough to sustain your exercise then you need to exercise less.
    If you don't want to do this, look at more calorie dense foods, so you aren't increasing the volume so much but are getting more healthy cals. Avocado, olive oil, nuts and cheese come to mind.