How many calories am I burning as a Swimming Teacher?

Options
Hi guys, I work as a swimming teacher, teaching pre school and school aged kids.

After a 4hr shift i am exhausted - and hungry!! Physically, i'm not doing anything strenuous but am continually walking through the water and being as energetic and fun as I can for the kids.

Since i'm so tired after classes I feel like i should have burnt through a decent chunk of calories but as im not doing a specific exercise im not sure how to track it...

Any ideas on how many calories I'm burning, being in the water?

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I would say maybe wear a HRM one day and see how many you burn. I'm sure you burn a good amount though. Swimming is tough!
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    if you do it most days of the week, i would probably just change your "lifestyle" setting.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I just looked and in the cardio exercises there's "Water Jogging" I imagine if you divide what it tells you in half that would be pretty close... Best bet is a HRM to know for sure but just standing and walking slowly on dry land for 4 hours will burn a fair amount of calories and water just ups the resistance so it has to be fairly substantial.

Hope that helps!
  • ltaurau
    ltaurau Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You make a fair point! I might have to invest in a waterproof HRM but dividing the water jogging in half seems like a great idea. Thanks!