porridge how do you eat yours?

Options
I'm looking for some new ideas as I love porridge but getting a bit bored of it. I used to eat it with jam but changed to rasins to be healthier. I have tried peanut butter but really not my thing so any ideas wouldbe great. Also I make mine with water what do you use?

Replies

• PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    One measure porridge oats, two measures semi-skimmed milk, 1min 40sec in the microwave. Stir. Leave to stand for one minute, add tbsp honey, stir and enjoy. Still taste this morning's.
  • mquarry
    Options
    I eat mine with butter, cinnamon, and some sugar. I recently started using my pumpkin spice, too, just to give the thing more use!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    vary your dried fruit choices

I am currently on a kick where I chop up 2-3 dried apricots and add before cooking
    before that dried apples (2-3 dried apple rings) and adding cinammon, if I need sugar I use instead a little bit of maple syrup when I make it with apples
    some people swear by canned pumpkin ( a couple of tablespoons and then reduce the amount of water or milk you use to cook it in) bonus season with pumpkin pie spice (or a mix of ground ginger, nutmeg, clove and cinammon) - smells really nice and i think it tastes ok (just not my fav variety, I prefer the fruit combination)

cook with hazelnut rice milk for a nutty taste or add a bit of nutella for a chocolately hazelnut effect

add a bit of vanilla or almond extract before cooking...

ok out of ideas now - let us know your favourites as I would like to try new options as well :-)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    ooooohhhh - I eat my Carrotcake Oatmeal most mornings :-)

35g raw oats
    1 medium grated carrot
    1 cup water

microwave for 2 1/2 minutes on high

add

1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    bit of candied ginger
    1 cup frozen (or fresh) blueberries
    lemon peel

Eat with some low fat yoghurt

If you want extra protein you can add some almonds, and a beaten egg white (or two) - and microwave one more minute

Have a look at this website - she has some fantastic oatmeal recipes - I also like the pumpkin pie, and there is a peanutbutter one as well - very yum!!
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just as it comes - milk, porridge, microwave 3 mins, stir in a little extra cold milk, eat

But it must be Quaker oats

Diane
  • hanky1
    hanky1 Posts: 39
    Options
    I make mine with semi-skimmed milk and add a teaspoon of honey, or half a banana. A few almonds stirred in are good for a protein boost.
  • katielouise24
    Options
    A spoonful of honey and nutmeg - so lovely!! I also at times have honey and nutmeg stirred into warm milk before bed :) x
  • Robide
    Robide Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm a porridge addict - my favorite is:

40g Rolled Oats
    100 ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
    200 ml Water
    1 mashed banana

And then I top it with a teaspoon of Maple Syrup.

I'm also a big fan of putting in a chopped apple and cinnamon, and I occasionally put in blueberries.

Nom nom nom.
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Try a tbs of honey and a handful of bran.

Tastes great and keeps you regular.....
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Not too hot, but not too cold. I like it juusst right!
  • mummyv811
    Options
    I had porridge this morning. :smile:

I make mine with water and then add a teaspoon of golden syrup! :happy: YUM!
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with water, always have. Some old people like to have it with salt but the very idea gives me the boak. If you go to the shop, they have those sachettes with a million different flavours. I like the golden syrup one. You could try adding honey or berries or for a crunch, crushed digestives. I love porridge, you can have anything with it.
  • BerryFruit
    Options
    Sometimes with cinnamon and blueberry's, sometimes I chop up apple or pear, heat that first so it goes all soft, then mix in with my porridge. If I am pushed for time or out of fresh fruit (shopping day) lol I have sultanas and a little cinnamon. If I need my choco fix in a morning a little dark coco powder is lovely sometimes even choc chips. I always make mine with water though no milk, but sometimes I add in protein powder. Just a few ideas.
  • BerryFruit
    Options
    Another thought, over night oats. Mix oats and milk same as you would do to cook, leave them over night in the fridge, next morning add a little syrup. They are sooo yummy. Perfect for days when your need to rush out or good for something cool in summer.

I eat a lot of Oats in a morning can your tell. :ohwell:
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I tend to use flavoured sachets because they are handier for work, but when I do make it myself I use milk and add various flavours, honey, syrup, cinammon, jam, nutella, or any fruit either fresh or dried.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Funny how this question provokes strong opinions!

I am a porridge purist. Water and salt, and I find it absolutely delicious that way.

My recent concession to modern life is to mix flaxseed into it. Healthy and tasty.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Usually I measure out about 27g of porridge oats, milk about 125-150ml mostly unsweetened soya milk. I add various types of fruit usually berries or banana, with/or seeds, or season it with something like cinammon or a similar kind of spice. I've got a sweet tooth so I prefer it to be sweet rather than with something like salt.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Tablespoon of honey for me.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    One measure porridge oats, two measures semi-skimmed milk, 1min 40sec in the microwave. Stir. Leave to stand for one minute, add tbsp honey, stir and enjoy. Still taste this morning's.

This. I wouldn't have my porridge any other way, I love it and who cares about a little bit of honey. Plus I find that honey is much sweeter than sugar so you use very little anyway.
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    1 oat sachet, fill bowl til half submerged with water, fill other half with milk until oats are completely submerged, add a pinch of salt, cook 40seconds in microwave, stir, back in for 20 secs, add 1.5 teaspoons of sweetener, and a splash more milk if it's dried out too much during cooking. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.