can i bank calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    In terms of the total calorie deficit, the math works, but just be careful about where those 'banked' calories come from. In my opinion, the best is to build up your extra 'spending' calories with exercise so that you're not shortchanging your body of nutrients for several days and then eating high calorie (probably high carb, high fat) foods to use up the bank.

Good luck - I think we're all facing the social eating gauntlet of the holidays to some extent, and it's commendable to plan for it, and work your plan.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    In theory you can so long as you don't go completely off the wagon. Your body functions in calories in versus calories out over a certain period. We usually calculate that per week (7 days). So, look at the numbers.

Let's say you are trying to lose a pound a week. That equals 3500 calories cut a week. Look at your maintenance calorie number (on MFP in the goals section). My personal maintenance calories comes to 2150 a day or 15,050 calories per week. So in order to lose my 1 pound a week I must restrict my calories by 3500. That means in a week I can consumer 11,550 calories and still drop that pound.

So, in theory, so long as you weekly calorie total is your maintenance calories minus your 3500/pound restriction you should still stay on target.

Personally, I try not to play this game. When my routine is inconsistent I have a hard time sticking with it. I splurged on thanksgiving, and it took me about 4 days (and a pound or two later) to get all the way back into my routine.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I believe you can. I did WW and they do that their (you have the whole week to use your exercise calories). I think, as long as at the end of the week, you have a deficit, it all works out.
  • EmVar
    EmVar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think you can to some extent. I find the "week average" bar on the chart to be a nice portion of forgiveness if I have a naughty day surrounded by some good days. I prefer the green, don't like the red, but if the week averages about right then I try not to sweat about it.

Looking forward to that naughty pizza tonight!! Will we all be sat around going "how many calories in that slice?" "what about this spoonful of potato salad?" "is that low-fat coleslaw?" lol

xx Em
  • rochey1098
    Options
    I do it all the time. It's completely possible. Our body doesn't know the difference between a Point and a calorie, and it doesn't have a magical "reset" clock. Have at it, just make sure you get your 1200 a day! :)

This.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I always work toward my weekly net cals rather than my daily ones. I eat lighter during the week, or on days where there are no meals or social engagements and then I can enjoy my weekends without fretting too much about going over my calories.

I believe it's what you eat in a week, not a day, that counts. This has worked well for me during weight loss and now also for maintenance. : ) xx
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Since moving closer to maintenance this is pretty much how I live now.

If I go over my calories one day (and I mean by 500 or 600 not by 50!) I will try to make up for it during the rest of the week by eating slightly under my allowance or not eating back all my exercise calories.

I swear it actually makes me lose weight quicker and it means I can indulge at weekends etc

I still log absolutely everything though even on "bad" days.

When you average out your calories over 7 days you are left with an Average Net for the week & that's what i go on. Like someone else said it's not what you do ONE day that effects you it's what you do most of the time.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Since moving closer to maintenance this is pretty much how I live now.

If I go over my calories one day (and I mean by 500 or 600 not by 50!) I will try to make up for it during the rest of the week by eating slightly under my allowance or not eating back all my exercise calories.

I swear it actually makes me lose weight quicker and it means I can indulge at weekends etc

I still log absolutely everything though even on "bad" days.

When you average out your calories over 7 days you are left with an Average Net for the week & that's what i go on. Like someone else said it's not what you do ONE day that effects you it's what you do most of the time.

I'm TRYING to be on maintenence, and I like this idea. I feel so guilty when I go over (and I mean by 500 or 600)! I will be trying it. The holiday eating frenzy has begun, and it is so difficult to stay away from the high calorie stuff all the time...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well.. I don't call it "banking" my calories. But, then I focus more on my weekly goals vs my daily goals.

I've been known to eat lighter for days leading up to day when I know I will have higher calorie meals. Am I banking calories? Not really, but this just insures that I won't go over my weekly calorie goal.

To each their own, I say.