porridge how do you eat yours?

Options

Replies

• Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have mine with a teaspoon of honey, 50g of blueberries and half a banana.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Oats, fat free milk and a great big teaspoon of un-refined dark brown sugar! :happy:

Number 1 in my MFP list of most used food items.
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with water, always have. Some old people like to have it with salt but the very idea gives me the boak. If you go to the shop, they have those sachettes with a million different flavours. I like the golden syrup one. You could try adding honey or berries or for a crunch, crushed digestives. I love porridge, you can have anything with it.

I am clearly one of those old people, but my daughters love it with salt too. I had porridge like this every morning during winter as a kid growing up. It's the traditional way to do it. Oatmeal (not porridge oats), a little salt and water. Cook until ready, adding water as you go if necessary. When ready top with cold milk. Traditionally in Scotland the milk was served separately.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I add 2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to mine and I make it with half milk and water. Yum. Also like it with syrup or honey.
  • jenlarkin300384
    jenlarkin300384 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use 50g of oat, with 100ml of semi skimmed milk and then topped up with hot water. I then microwave for around 2 mins, stiring half way through. And then add a tbsp of Orange Blossom Honey x
  • Aroz25
    Aroz25 Posts: 40
    Options
    When I was a kid I used to have it with butter and soft brown sugar on top, wait for it to melt then stir it all in, and maybe a little bit of milk on the side if it was too hot. I've always prefered mine made with water, have tried a few different variations but this will always be my favourite :smile:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bumpin the oatmeal:drinker:
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I add pureed fruit - apples, pears, rhubarb - whatever I have, chia seeds and sometimes cinnamon. Favourite food!
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    porridge-1.jpg

After my run in the morning (3-4 times a week) I have a fantastic bowl of porridge. This is how I make it, and believe me, the time spent stirring (3 mins) is worth it! Much better than microwaved porridge.
    50g Porridge Oats in a saucepan with 60g semi-skimmed milk, 60g rice milk (just use all semi-skimmed if you dont have rice milk, thats 2% fat milk for our American friends), and 200g boiling water. Also a pinch of salt is very important.
    Bring to the boil and keep boiling and stirring for 3 mins. If this becomes too thick you can stir in some more boiling water.
    Pour into a bowl and top with 6g unrefined sugar and a whole chopped banana. Add strawberries if you are lucky enough to have any.
    FANTASTIC/AMAZING/WONDERFUL/DELICIOUS/NUTRITIOUS.............please try it!!:heart::love: :happy:
  • saartje1982
    saartje1982 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with a little bit of sugar and cinnamon. Sometimes I add a little bit of honey and it's delicious.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Either: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, banana or dried prunes.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon almond butter with roasted flax seeds, splash almond milk, 1-2 slices banana, dash cinnamon
  • alc720
    alc720 Posts: 27
    Options
    I make mine with water and add sugar free maple syrup to it! YUMMY!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I like mine with steel cut or rolled oats. Never quick oats. I also like a combination of grains sometimes.. Like oats, wheat, and grits all together with flax seeds. I make with water and a little salt and I don't cook it until it's mush. I serve in a bowl with a drop of molasses and I pour some milk on the top. Delicious

Some times I cook with raisins and I garnish with brown sugar and cinnamon instead of molasses.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I use semi skimmed milk. It's dull with water! I don't add anything. I prefer it plain, but I have a type called Morning Glory porridge which is a mixture of oats, quinoa and seeds, and has 15g protein a bowl.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    with a generous TBS of canned pumpkin, some cinnamon, a little bit of nutmeg and about a tsp of brown sugar. Mmmm pumpkin pie in a bowl.
  • Rosbrook1985
    Rosbrook1985 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    50g oats, just cover with skim milk nuke for 1 min. Stir, add blackberrys and little cubes of apple, top up with a bit of water, nuke for 40 seconds. Stir it in. YUM! closest thin to apple and blackberry crumble i can find :D
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone I must be old fashioned though as I never microwave it as it just seems wrong lol. I love the chunky porridge oats so find the microwave ones a bit grim. I think I'm going to try apple and cinnamon first will have to buy some on my shopping trip Monday. Wish they did tinned pumpkin here in the UK as that sounds nice and as for the carrot cake one that sounds delish. Thanks again everyone and let me know any more ideas :)
  • lemorncutt
    Options
    Sometimes I use vanilla flavored protein
    Powder, tbl of honey and chopped banana . Keeps u full for ages !!!
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    dried fruit of any kind is yummy (I like apricots and cranberries. cherries and blueberries would be good too)

mashed banana

unsweetened flaked coconut and slivered almonds

cinnamon, maple syrup and walnuts or pecans