heart rate monitor

Options
Hello everyone! I need some advice on heart rate monitors. Mine died :( and I desperately need a new one. I got used to all the wonderful things with my other one, but it was tough to get claorie burn b/c you had to test every so often and that can be tough when doing intense workouts. I really don't want the chest strap to go with it. Any suggestions of which product is best? Thanks a million!

Replies

• dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Chest strap gives you the best advantage to the most accurate readings though. I have the Polar FT4 and I absolutely love it.
  • lcs1211
    lcs1211 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and its the best money I ever spent. Chest strap is not an issue, once I put mine on, I don't even realize it's there. Chest strap is much more accurate as I have compared the gyms at the machine, HRM without chest strap, etc. and I found I was overestimating calories until I had a chest strap HRM.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I need some advice on heart rate monitors. Mine died :( and I desperately need a new one. I got used to all the wonderful things with my other one, but it was tough to get claorie burn b/c you had to test every so often and that can be tough when doing intense workouts. I really don't want the chest strap to go with it. Any suggestions of which product is best? Thanks a million!

If you don't want the chest strap then I wouldn't waste your money on an HRM, as it will be not be very accurate, so you might as well use MFP or some other sites estimations.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Have a Polar FT7.

Originally had a Timex, that rated very well on Amazon.com , about $40.

Both with Chest straps.

My Timex, was unisex, and I became concerned that the cal count might be off, since it would have no way to differentiate gender - and men and women burn calories a bit differently.

So I replaced the Timex with a female version Polar.

Found out, on all the same workouts - my Timex was logging my cal count to high. As much as 200 cal per hour higher then my Polar.

So yes, for accuracy a chest strap really is a must, but also look for a product that allows you to input gender, age, weight etc. for the most accuracy.