Military people I need your help

Options
ok So I leave for basic training for the Navy Jan 4 and my co woker who was drill sergant told me I need to stop working out 2 weeks before going I cant really imagne giving my self that much time off I have been trying pretty hard and I am still not where I want to be yet but I have came along way I went from not being able to run or do push ups to being able to run 2.5 miles in 30 min and I am not excaty sure were I am at on push but I think I can do a good 30 of them in 2 min but I still need to work on my form situps I can do easy So What do guys think?? I really want to finsh my Insanity program before going

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I was in Air Force EOD for 6 years, and I can't really agree with the drill sergeant there.

Now I know Air Force boot camp and Navy isn't the same. Air Force is pretty slack on the physical training part, but still I didn't stop working out before I went in.

It's ok to take a short break, but I wouldn't take 2 weeks off.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just don't make yourself sore before you go and get lost of sleep.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I was in Air Force EOD for 6 years, and I can't really agree with the drill sergeant there.

Now I know Air Force boot camp and Navy isn't the same. Air Force is pretty slack on the physical training part, but still I didn't stop working out before I went in.

was basic as hard as you imgained it to be?
  • fitnatic67
    Options
    I agree with joe in that i wouldn't take 2 whole weeks off. i work with a few navy guys so i'm familiar with the physical training in comparison with my air force training and they are pretty similar with the exception of the things that are navy specific. either way, continuing your workouts right up until the day prior to you leaving is probably your best bet.
  • Andylee63
    Andylee63 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was in the forces for 20yrs..
    Basically get as fit as you can before you go...
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options

was basic as hard as you imgained it to be?

No, but I did mine 20 years ago and much of it has changed since then. Probably easier now. I also disagree with stopping two weeks prior to leaving for boot camp.
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I was in the air force so I don't know if its the same, but just make sure you don't go under the weight requirement or they will make you wait to start.
  • prettyfitchick
    Options
    I was in the air force so I don't know if its the same, but just make sure you don't go under the weight requirement or they will make you wait to start.

oh I am not worried about that I would have to be below the 120s and I am still in the 140s I began try to lose weight becuse I had actually hit my max of 160 while waiting to go to basic
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I would think this is similar to tapering before a marathon. The marathon is really hard so you don't want to be sore and hurting when you run the marathon, so you only do light work outs the 2-3 weeks before the marathon. It may be that the PT is so intense there that you really will feel better (at least the first few days) having rested your muscles for a little while. That said, after the first week or so at basic, you'll likely be very sore all over no matter what you do now.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    LOL Basic isnt what it used to be, 2 weeks off? I think he's incorrect. a few days? ok. It's more head game than physical in Navy Basic. And how are you in the cold? Yikes! Greak Lakes IL in the winter? Brutal.

-20 Navy Vet.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Army guy here. Keep doing your workouts. It is not going to hurt you to keep working out. Once you get to basic training you want to be in the best shape possible to meet the phsyical demands. Insanity workouts help.

Currently in Great Lakes. Brutal cold dring the winter.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'd keep working out a little, but don't let yourself get sore or injured right before you go. They'll make you wait if you get hurt before you go. Don't worry about not being where you want to be yet, you'll lose plenty and get more fit during basic.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I would think this is similar to tapering before a marathon. The marathon is really hard so you don't want to be sore and hurting when you run the marathon, so you only do light work outs the 2-3 weeks before the marathon. It may be that the PT is so intense there that you really will feel better (at least the first few days) having rested your muscles for a little while. That said, after the first week or so at basic, you'll likely be very sore all over no matter what you do now.

That is exactly what I was going to say. Cut back on how hard you are working, but keep doing something. You would be surprised how beneficial rest is. You won't lose fitness that quickly. Maybe take a couple of days rest before you leave.

Good luck!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    That's weird. My sister did her fitness routine right up to getting ready for bootcamp. She said it made it a lot easier because she was used to working out every day. I would think taking a 2-week break would make your PT more difficult because your body got re-accustomed to not exercising.
  • prettyfitchick
    Options
    I am So afraid of the Cold I noticed my runs are much harder In the cold and Tn winter is fall compared to the Great Lakes
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thank him for his advice and then disregard it. I spent 8 years in the Navy, and I don't see how working out right up until boot camp can do any harm. I think you're going to do great compared to those people (like me) who show up to boot camp out of shape and unable to run. If you were used to running great distances or lifting heavy weights, I might tell you to taper off (but not stop) a couple weeks prior, but it sounds like you're right on track. Good luck with your new journey in life, and thank you for your willingness to serve. If you have any questions about boot camp or the Navy in general, feel free to add me or message me. I went to boot camp in '99 and got out in '07.

~Angie
  • dngortegae
    dngortegae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I was in the Army for 10 years. I do not agree with what you were told at all. Keep working out. You will be better off when you get there. Many people are use to doing nothing when they join, so you are already ahead of the game! Keep up he hard work.

As for the Navy's PT test, I think you have to complete a swim. So you might want to take up swimming for the next two weeks. You could drop everything and go with just swimming since it is a total body work out. Google: Navy fitness test. This will help you see where you need to be for your age.
  • JThomas61
    Options
    Retired Air Force First Sgt here, did 25 years, and will say your drill instructor is dead wrong, keep working out! You will be glad you did.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Congratulation on choosing a noble career. I would work out up until the time you leave. I was in The Marine Corps, and the first week is full of intimidation, paperwork, intimidation, uniform issue, more intimidation, and not a ton of exercise. When the exercise began, it was like an avalanche coming down. You'll need all the prep time you can get. Congratulations, and thank you for choosing to serve us.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I don't think that's correct. As other's said just don't go in exhausted or life will be way harder on you. One of my best friends is in the Navy and he told me how many situps, pushups, etc women have to do. I can't remember it off the top of my head, but I am sure you can look it up online. :)

I know you are already good with the running, and I think you're fine with the other stuff too, but it's good to know you can handle it going in.