Advice on running in the cold......

Options
Okay, so I have a 5k tomorrow and it's going to be cold (35 degrees). I have never run in the cold before, because i hate being cold. If you are a runner, what should I wear, should i wear a hat, gloves, etc??? And someone told me it's better to run in the cold, is that really true?
.Any help is greatly appreciated.
~Chika

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Wear layers to the event, but when you run you shouldn't need more than a long-sleeve running shirt and tights. You should aim to start off feeling a little too cold, then you'll soon warm up! I find on even the coldest days I need to take my hat and gloves off after 15 minutes or so.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Layers.

Search for specifics... this topic is covered pretty frequently.
    36250 Posts: 4
    Options
    Layers, including hat and gloves, with pockets or a pack that you can stuff them in after you've warmed up. A jacket light enough to tie around your waist if you don't have someone positioned to throw it to. Kleenex--my nose runs in cold weather. Don't forget sunscreen if it's one of those cloudless cold days!
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Running tights! Old Navy has some great inexpensive ones. Light layers that wick moisture. I always get hot once I get going. Also, moisturizer and lip balm for your face especially if it's windy! Have Fun :)
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    First of all.......you are able to run??? I thought you had to work? Yay!!! Second, like everyone said......layers and pockets for your gloves. it is suppose to actually be a high of 45 tomorrow. So, it shouldn't be too bad. According to the weather repost, it should hit a little over 40 around the time of the race. I have 2 cold weather fitted Nike running shirts, if you want to borrow one. They are tie dyed - one pink and one black. Take your pick and I can bring it to dinner tonight, if you text me. If you wear a sports bra (obviously) the shirt I am telling you about and then put a sweatshirt over it, for before and after the race, you will be set.
    As for running in the cold being better - it depends on how cold and your personal preference. I hate the heat and so would much rather a 10 degree day than a 90 degree day. But, ideally, if they could all be 65, that would be awesome!!!
    One other suggestion.....it's only going to be 5 degrees warmer today. You don't really want to run the day before a race much. But you could go out for a mile easy run and pack on the layers and see how much you need to take off or will need, etc. Keep in mind, you will be going faster tomorrow and will be warmer because of that. Just, bring an extra sweatshirt tomorrow for after and before (I am repeating because it is important). See you tonight!!! :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I've been logging temperatures, conditions, what I've been wearing and how I felt.

At 35 - 40, I wear a long sleeved technical shirt, leggings, my nylon running jacket, a headband and gloves. I end up taking my gloves off. If it's windy, it is a little chilly.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I ran outside this morning, it was 23*. Brrrr! But I wore a pair of running pants, a hoodie sweatshirt and some warm socks. A few weeks ago when we had a cold spell I went running and had gloves and a scarf, an undershirt and a hoodie and I swear I thought I was going to die of heat after the first mile. I do find that my body runs better in the cold, something about being numb makes it so I can't feel how much I hurt until later, lol. But, my poor lungs dont do so well. So whatever shirt you wear maybe make sure it has a collar you can put your mouth in once in a while to warm up the air you are breathing in.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    bumping for future reference! i'm planning on running a 5k on new year's at the stroke of midnight - i think it might be a bit chilly, so thanks for the question and the responses!