Why does everyone blame fastfood for us being fat and unheal

Options
We are the ones who make the decision of what we eat. Everyone says because of all the fast food is why America is so unhealthy, but a business is going to sell what people buy. If people didn't buy the food they wouldn't sell it.

Replies

• auctoritas
    Options
    People always need a scapegoat. They want to blame all their problems on someone else even when its their fault.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    They have to blame someone and it's easier to blame someone else.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I think the deal is that fastfood is unhealthy when it really doesn't have to be. They could make burgers, fries ect that are much healthier but they don't.
  • gregs887
    Options
    People in general have a lack of personal responsibility and lack accountability for their actions (and their inaction). It is always easier to blame someone else than to look in the mirror.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think the amount of people that actually blame fast food for being fat and unhealthy is actually fairly small. I think they get a lot of flack from health professionals because they know how lazy people are. If you offer them high calorie crap that they don't have to cook they will buy it, whereas if that wasn't available a good number of those same people would probably prepare healthier food at home. Fast food is an enabler.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    There are a few complaints, I think. There are some people who just want to eat whatever they want, and then blame someone else for it. But there are some valid points when it comes to fast food. Namely, that they could make it a little healthier, but won't, and that they market "healthy" menu options that really aren't healthy at all. For example, one of McDonald's salads (the southwest one) is actually worse for you than a Big Mac is. Healthy food is also not nearly as cheap or convenient as fast food. I know it's cheaper to buy food in bulk and then make it, but for the purposes of this discussion, I'm explicitly talking about food that is packaged as "cheap, on-the-go meals" which, unfortunately, is a very big part of most of our lives. I know that I am spending WAY more money now than I was when I was eating whatever I wanted.

All of that being said though, I don't think "everyone" is blaming fast food for making them fat. I don't think there are a lot of people blaming McDonald's at all, and I never blamed anyone but myself for my weight. I think all these concerns are all just very important talking points that bring up important issues, like the availability of fresh food to low-income houses, and the marketing strategies of fast food corporations.
  • ARMom8251
    Options
    We decide what we put into our bodies no one else is responsible. If its made healthy or not our decision to eat it rests upon us. We got ourselves here, and we have to be the ones to pick ourselves up and get out. I use to be that person who ate that fast food junk because I thought I didnt have time to fix a healthy meal, but I do. We need to take responsibility for our actions, but at the same time I feel if the government is so concerned with the health of this nation they should make the healthy foods more affordable to people.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If you just ate fast food, highly processed foods I dont think I would be slim and healthy. If I only ate home prepared unprocessed foods from good ingredients I think I would be slim and healthy.

I like everyone else have choices about what i eat and drink, it is I that reaps the consequences, it is I that is to blame if I eat crap, it is often cheaper and easier to eat highly processed salt laden crap and that means that I have to be richer and make deliberate choices to eat well...... economies of scale are to blame. fast food crap food = big fat profits as well as arses
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    People in general have a lack of personal responsibility and lack accountability for their actions (and their inaction). It is always easier to blame someone else than to look in the mirror.

This only takes you so far. I didn't put growth hormones in my meat and milk, nor did I create an economy where few people can afford to buy products that don't contain growth hormones. Yet these are unhealthy and do not belong in our food.

I know that's a bit off topic, since this was a discussion about fast food specifically, but the one size fits all personal responsibility thing rankles me when so much is not in our control.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think both statements are true in their sense "fast food is making us fat," & "our choice to eat fast food is making us fat."

I kind of find this semantics, TBH. I believe everyone who says "fast food is bad," etc, gets that it's actually the choice of putting it in mouths that matters. For that matter, why not say "the fact that our bodies store calories is making us fat..."? Well, because it's not really relavent usually. LOL
  • cowgirllisa86
    cowgirllisa86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When we go to a fast food resteraunt, maybe 2x a month, i always choose a salad with a light or fat free dressing so i dont know why fast food resteraunts are always blamed when they have healthy option on the menu =)

5930822.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I think the deal is that fastfood is unhealthy when it really doesn't have to be. They could make burgers, fries ect that are much healthier but they don't.

Very true, but then the price would raise dramatically and people wouldn't eat it because people want cheap fast food.
  • skatermom503
    Options
    Because it's easy and accessible and on the way home. I almost never bought fast food til I had kids and then the kids meals and their toys reeled us in. And then super-sizing or whatever was only a few cents more and I really was thirsty for that bigger drink. And how many calories could be in an ounce or two more of french fries. I don't blame fast food for making me fat but it didn't help. But that was 20 some years ago when calories and nutrients weren't posted so we could fool ourselves. Now, there is really no excuse. Most people should be aware now of how many calories and how much fat is in fast food so they really can't blame an industry on their weight. If I choose to go there, it is my choice and my responsibility.
  • chrisanglin
    Options

the days i wish this web site had a like button
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I agree with you!