Diet Pills?!?!

Options
I was wondering what everyones thought on diet pills are. Do they help? Are there health risks? My grandma is taking some kind of HCG pill, but can only consume 500 calories a day and she says it works for her but when she gets off of them, half the weight comes back on. I would just like to kow everyones opinion.

Replies

• starboardzor
    Options
    I hear meth works wonders.
  • Candikickbutt
    Candikickbutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM DIET PILLS!!!! They can be hazardous to your health. Everyone looks for a fast easy way to lose weight, but that's just not realistic. You want to lose weight healthy and keep it off, right? Hard work and eating right is the way to go. I've experimented with various weight loss pills and HCG drops. My Metabolism dropped because I was not eating enough calories so the weight loss slowed way down and I ALWAYS gained it back immediately. Hope this helps!!!

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Bad-Effect-of-Diet-Pills-On-Your-Health&id=1089515
  • nlepine84
    nlepine84 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ya from what I've heard diet pills will speed your heart rate up and can cause a lot of damage.

The only thing I've heard is Omega 3-6-9 can help with weightloss and it's a more natural product. I haven't done my research on it yet so don't hold me to it...

Hard work at the gym is the best thing, and using myfitnesspal to track calories! good luck.
  • Candikickbutt
    Candikickbutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ya from what I've heard diet pills will speed your heart rate up and can cause a lot of damage.

The only thing I've heard is Omega 3-6-9 can help with weightloss and it's a more natural product. I haven't done my research on it yet so don't hold me to it...

Hard work at the gym is the best thing, and using myfitnesspal to track calories! good luck.

I've heard that Omega 3-6-9 boosts metabolism, so I take it every morning.
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There's quite a bit of information from WebMD and the Mayo Clinic if you Google it. Most diet pills are sold as natural supplements, so their safety and effectiveness has not been evaluated by the FDA. One thing that is showing promise is some sort of green tea extract. But, instead of taking the pill, why not simply drink green tea? Tastes a ton better! :smile:
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Diet pills = no good! Do it the old fashioned way and eat healthy and exercise! :bigsmile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

great, the secret's out now
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Diet pills cause bad side effects, they can be dangerous and you really can't take them long term and the problem is as soon as you stop taking them they stop working. You are always better off controlling your weight with diet and excercise. It's safe, it works and you can do it forever.
  • sambo155
    Options

Cocaine is a great appetite suppressor! Kind of expensive, tho. :laugh:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    There's quite a bit of information from WebMD and the Mayo Clinic if you Google it. Most diet pills are sold as natural supplements, so their safety and effectiveness has not been evaluated by the FDA. One thing that is showing promise is some sort of green tea extract. But, instead of taking the pill, why not simply drink green tea? Tastes a ton better! :smile:

Thanks for posting this. Couldn't agree more!

Don't take pills. There are no quick fixes. HCG is a placebo and nothing more. Other pills might do something... but they haven't been thoroughly tested, so that something could be 'trash your liver'. Don't trust the hype from marketing and media. WebMD and the Mayo Clinic offer good science in an easy-to-understand form.

Calorie restriction and exercise work. Diet pills are voodoo.
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options

where do they sell this meth? i hear it works by making your teeth fall out so you can't chew food- major weight loss! whoot!
    btw, does it come in a cream that i could rub on my butt to make it smaller?

OP- every drug has side effects, some worse than others. diet pills fall under the worse category. suggest going to the success forum and reading some of those threads and looking at the before/after pics. they did it by just using this site. you can too.:smile:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Cocaine is a great appetite suppressor! Kind of expensive, tho. :laugh:

Pure sexiness:

w127302570.jpg
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i took therma pro years ago and man did it work! i lost 17 lbs in less then 2 months and dropped about 3 sizes. The weight didn't creep back on me fast like i thought it would so that was good but it did make me shaky as it had caffeine in it with the enfedra.(sp?) i took it for 2-2.5 months and then that was it, i hit my desired weight and couldn't take the shakes/ nervousness. Since then i did try one other but had no results at all so i have given up with them and i am looking at my "health" now as i am older and wiser ;) i am doing this weight loss for "ME" and my health not just to be a certain weight or size...
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Here's a RAND study carried out for the National Institutes of Health on the efficacy and safety of ephedrine: " Safety assessment

RAND reviewed adverse events reported in 52 published randomized controlled clinical trials. No serious adverse events (death, myocardial infarction, cerebrovascular/stroke events, seizure, or serious psychiatric events) were reported in the clinical trials. However, evidence from the trials was sufficient to support the conclusion that the use of ephedrine, ephedrine plus caffeine, or ephedra plus caffeine is associated with 2-3 times the risk of nausea, vomiting, psychiatric symptoms such as anxiety and change in mood, autonomic hyperactivity, and palpitations. The contribution of caffeine to these symptoms cannot be determined.

RAND also reviewed 71 cases reported in the published medical literature, 1820 case reports provided by FDA, and more than 18,000 consumer complaints reported to a manufacturer of ephedra-containing dietary supplements. Most of the cases were not well documented so decisions could not be made about the potential relationship between the use of ephedra-containing dietary supplements or ephedrine and the adverse event. A total of 65 cases from the published literature, 241 cases from FDA, and 43 cases from a manufacturer of ephedra-containing dietary supplements were included in the adverse event analysis.

Sentinel events with prior ephedra consumption included 2 deaths, 3 myocardial infarctions, 9 cerebrovascular/stroke events, 3 seizures, and 5 psychiatric cases. Sentinel events with prior ephedrine consumption included 3 deaths, 2 myocardial infarctions, 2 cerebrovascular/stroke events, 1 seizure, and 3 psychiatric cases. About half of the sentinel events occurred in individuals 30 years of age or younger. An additional 43 cases were identified as possible sentinel events with prior ephedra consumption and an additional 7 cases were identified as possible sentinel events with prior ephedrine consumption."

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/ephedraandephedrine/

As you can see, even the NIH concludes there's not much evidence for the causation of adverse events with ephedrine....
  • geniebelle
    Options
    I have taken a few diet pills. I can't say whether or not they actually worked. I did try the kardashian sponsored one. took them for two days and did not like them at all, so i got rid of them. the diet pills i did like and took for a couple months were called apidexin. i researched a lot about it and decided they were the ones to try. i did lose weight while taking them, but that weight loss i'm sure mostly had to do with the fact that i was on atkins. i never had any bad side effects while taking them though, like some people report. i guess it depends on your system.
  • sgraves06
    sgraves06 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I currently take Lichi Super Fruit. I just started this week... it is not a "diet pill", but is a natural supplement that curbs cravings. I am noticing a huge difference in my appetite as well as energy. I don't feel shaky or weird. But, I must add... there is no "miracle drug" and what works for me may not work for you. This is just a supplement that I came across, and love. I don't credit them for my weight loss... just a natural boost of energy and a lighter appetite.

Exercise and Diet are the best pill :) Good Luck sweets!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Here's a RAND study carried out for the National Institutes of Health on the efficacy and safety of ephedrine: " Safety assessment

RAND reviewed adverse events reported in 52 published randomized controlled clinical trials. No serious adverse events (death, myocardial infarction, cerebrovascular/stroke events, seizure, or serious psychiatric events) were reported in the clinical trials. However, evidence from the trials was sufficient to support the conclusion that the use of ephedrine, ephedrine plus caffeine, or ephedra plus caffeine is associated with 2-3 times the risk of nausea, vomiting, psychiatric symptoms such as anxiety and change in mood, autonomic hyperactivity, and palpitations. The contribution of caffeine to these symptoms cannot be determined.

RAND also reviewed 71 cases reported in the published medical literature, 1820 case reports provided by FDA, and more than 18,000 consumer complaints reported to a manufacturer of ephedra-containing dietary supplements. Most of the cases were not well documented so decisions could not be made about the potential relationship between the use of ephedra-containing dietary supplements or ephedrine and the adverse event. A total of 65 cases from the published literature, 241 cases from FDA, and 43 cases from a manufacturer of ephedra-containing dietary supplements were included in the adverse event analysis.

Sentinel events with prior ephedra consumption included 2 deaths, 3 myocardial infarctions, 9 cerebrovascular/stroke events, 3 seizures, and 5 psychiatric cases. Sentinel events with prior ephedrine consumption included 3 deaths, 2 myocardial infarctions, 2 cerebrovascular/stroke events, 1 seizure, and 3 psychiatric cases. About half of the sentinel events occurred in individuals 30 years of age or younger. An additional 43 cases were identified as possible sentinel events with prior ephedra consumption and an additional 7 cases were identified as possible sentinel events with prior ephedrine consumption."

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/ephedraandephedrine/

As you can see, even the NIH concludes there's not much evidence for the causation of adverse events with ephedrine....

It is restricted for sale in Canada, and is not authorized to be sold for use as a weightloss supplement. From what I understand it can only be sold as an oral nasal decongestant.
    Health Canada warns against use as a weight loss supplement. I am gonna stick with them.
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2008/2008_41-eng.php
  • GinNouveau
    GinNouveau Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If there was a diet pill that actually worked, none of us could afford it and by releasing it a LOT of people would lose a LOT of money, so I dont see that ever happening. Save your money for a scale, a food scale, a good pair of shoes.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine does work - it's the most studied weight loss drug EVER. And you can get it legally and for half the price of the less effective popular branded diet pills - if you're smart enough to know how, both in the US and in Canada.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My personal take on diet pills is that I've tried a ton in the past and none of them worked long term. But this time when I chose not to use any pills for this weight loss is was because I'm selfish...at the end when I've hit my goal weight, I want all the credit. When people ask how I did it I don't want to have to give the credit to a diet pill--it was my hard work and dedication!