How long does it take sodium to flush out?

Options
Some days im just extremely high on Sodium and on those days i down the water afterwards the night before a weigh in...sometimes it works, sometimes for me it doesn't. My sodium was over 4000 yesterday..I know..it was bad..i was up over 2lbs this morning..i know the sodium was a part of that...how long do you think it takes the water to process to take the salt off in your body? I guess it takes more then 12 hours.

Replies

• datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    it can take up to 48 hours .. depending on the how fast your system is.
  • hubbalolo
    Options
    sometimes i use a sauna suit when i walk or jog. it helps just got to drink plenty of water
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,237 Member
    Options
    it can take up to 48 hours .. depending on the how fast your system is.

Experience tells me it can take even longer than 48 hours unless you drink huge amounts of water.
  • dcfl2012
    Options
    It took me four days to lose the sodium from Thanksgiving :) I'm back on track now ! Its crazy what sodium does!!!! ;/
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It took me four days to lose the sodium from Thanksgiving :) I'm back on track now ! Its crazy what sodium does!!!! ;/

Same for me...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    if I consume my mother-in-law's cooking, DAYS.... DAYS I tell ya!!!!!!!!!! It just aint right... ugh! (LOL)
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    if I consume my mother-in-law's cooking, DAYS.... DAYS I tell ya!!!!!!!!!! It just aint right... ugh! (LOL)

this made me laugh. :laugh:
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    wear lots of clothing while you work out, but drink water too.
  • cramernh
    Options

Sad part is.. .its the truth.... I stopped eating her meals about 10 years ago.. between the sodium, the food poisoning episodes... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Sad part is.. .its the truth.... I stopped eating her meals about 10 years ago.. between the sodium, the food poisoning episodes... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remind me never to come round for dinner!
  • cramernh
    Options

Remind me never to come round for dinner!

Sounds like a plan! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    as long as your body needs to rebalance. Just make sure you keep up the water, and add some potassium rich foods (pretty easy to do).
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options

:laugh: OMG, I feel the same way! She put out a vegetable just for me this year! :laugh:
    It was in a can, but hey, it's a start.......
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Took me about 3 days to get rid of all that Sodium.
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    as long as your body needs to rebalance. Just make sure you keep up the water, and add some potassium rich foods (pretty easy to do).

your body uses aldosterone to flush out potassium - and recoup sodium. You would ideally want low potassium and high sodium plus lots of water then your body will not produce aldosterone for a little bit in order to retain potassium and kick out the excess sodium and water.

just drink a lot of water - if you are high on water then your body wont produce any aldosterone and you will flush out all the excess sodium --> sodium leaves your body in direct proportion to water, your renal clearance is a ratio of your sodium and BUN so the higher your renal clearance (how effective your kidneys are) the faster you will dump the extra sodium - so its going to vary from person to person - but anywhere from 24-72 hours

wearing a sauna suit is dangerous - sweating a lot will help but it also will cut down blood flow to your kidneys so its a catch22 - just make sure to rehydrate really well if you do a big sweat session
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Don't try to flush it out too quickly. Remember, sodium is an essential mineral for life (it's at the basic cellular level). But it's the BALANCE that is important. Too much or too little can be dangerous; that's why the body retains water when you have too much sodium (because it's the concentration that matters). So trying to flush it too quickly with lots of excess water can be potentially dangerous (granted, it would probably take a lot of excess, but water intoxification is a real thing even if I can't spell it today). Better to stay lower on the sodium (not always possible, I know, I love sodium too) and then up the water some but not a lot on the days you've gone over. It's not the # on the scale that really matters anyway, that's just one way of measuring your progress.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    a nice long run usually does it for me. :)
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Same here!!! Mother in law has the best cooking but I pay for it for days!!

With that being said, 4000 is 2 days worth of sodium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very dangerous. I recommend finding more low-sodium alternatives.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    For me, the scale doesn't drop again for 2-3 days after heavy sodium consumption.
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 2-4 days for me.