How long does it take sodium to flush out?

Options
2»

Replies

• SAC0O3
    SAC0O3 Posts: 95
    Options
    When I binge eat and don't eat what I normally eat (ice cream, poptarts, fatty foods, all high sodium) I gain about 5lbs. But I usually binge it for a couple days in a row (I know, I am working on it.) I usually weigh my normal weight again and am no longer bloated 3 days and work outs later.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Keep chugging down the water. Also eat potassium rich foods as potassium counteracts to sodium
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    it can take up to 48 hours .. depending on the how fast your system is.

Experience tells me it can take even longer than 48 hours unless you drink huge amounts of water.

It really depends on HOW MUCH you drink that will determines how fast the sodium goes down.
  • artist8041
    Options
    take a pee...it should clear you right out
  • jipsyoracle
    Options
    lol
  • jstegman
    jstegman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, the rehetoric of 4000 sodium is dangerious...I have trouble getting mine below that.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 4 to 5 days if it is really high in sodium. I don't eat a lot of foods high in sodium so my body loves to hang on to it =(
  • bigbadbrett36
    Options
    I experienced nearly the same exact thing you did. Yesterday i weighed in, in the morning at 207.6 lbs. Today i weighed in at 209.4 lbs in the morning on the same conditions.. I had ALOT of sodium yesterday but i was still under my max amount of calories for the day. Do you think if i didnt consume alot of sodium for the next 2 days and i keep everything else , such as my calories, in check then will i be less weight 2 days from now.??????????????? And i also forgot to mention i have been very active during the time frame mentioned
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    hubbalolo wrote: »
    sometimes i use a sauna suit when i walk or jog. it helps just got to drink plenty of water
    While sweating is a way to lose sodium from the body, it's not ideal to exercise in a sauna suit. Sweat is to help cool your body from overheating and a sauna suit won't let that happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's a thread from 2011 and 2014 . . . let's hope the salt has flushed out by now, for anyone who's posted on the thread before today.
    Hahahaha! I didn't see this till now. Dang this thread has been around as long as me.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Daily sodium levels is a controversial topic. Billions of dollars are at risk to the notion that reduced sodium products are not helpful in maintaining heart health. So reduced sodium products are promoted with a zeal that cannot be overcome.

If you do not have high blood pressure, a recent cardiac procedure, or water retention verified by visible symptoms (not a tiny weight gain), sodium intake in the 3000 to 6000 mg range is perfectly fine.
  • kermitch
    kermitch Posts: 53 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    How would you know if/when you have flushed it out?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    kermitch wrote: »
    How would you know if/when you have flushed it out?

Just don't worry about it. Drink water, eat vegetables. Your body will do its part.

It's a constantly shifting balance, so you can't really put a time on it.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    What is with all the old threads being resurrected? 🤔
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    Boredom. Or newbies doing a search. But that's actually a good thing since information hasn't changed a whole lot when it comes to weightloss and diet.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »

Sometimes spam revives an old thread, then the spam message gets deleted. That bumps the thread, and other people post. Sometimes.