Curry House later! Ek! Help! What can I have!

Options
Can anyone give me any tips on what my best options are for a curry house? Also a rough idea on Cals.

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    look at the menu (if it's available online) and decide ahead of time what you want to order. you can figure out the general calories by looking those items up.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Though it may sound counterintuitive, often the worst things you can have are veggie dishes. Those things tend to be loaded with cream. I'd go for a tandoori item like chicken or salmon. They're baked in a clay oven. Good luck!
  • LeenaRuns
    Options
    Good reply chubby_checkers! I always look at menus ahead of time and decide what I'll have--that way, I don't end up making a rash decision based on hunger at the restaurant that I'll end up regretting later.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Water?? lol
    Just watch that you don't have too much rice either!
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If it is a traditional indian restaurant the tandoori chicken is simply a type of oven roasted chicken and very healthy. Dhal is mashed lentils with oil so not too bad but a little heavier on calories. The bread naan is what can trip you up, it's delicious but very high in calories.
  • KimDoberman
    Options
    When in doubt...eat before you go. Make sure you aren't hungry at all. Then you can choose a small and healthy meal. I do this ALL the time when I go out with co-workers for lunch or after work dinners. I eat before I go (I usually bring a lunch to work). Being not hungry and won't have to eat very much, and most of the time there is a willing person to split a meal with. So that is a double bonus, we both eat small meals, and the cost is half. But, I found it was the only way I could be social without ruining my healthy dieting. Hope that helps.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Other friends are right, i'd avoid the traditional starters, too fatty, and stick to tandoori or tikka, but no masala sauce, add loads of salad amd a simple dal if you can. Chapattis are better than naan or paratas . Booze weakens the will, so water if possible.
  • bigfluffyjujubird
    Options
    have a look on here it tells you loads of stuff for an indian. I would go tikka stuff, paneer tikka is lovely if you want variation, i usually go chicken or lamb shaslick and share a veg side plain rice and naan.

its not too bad really if you do it right!

or just enjoy it exercise a bit more tomorrow and not worry too much, life isnt always about totally denying yourself all of the time :0)
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Indian food is actually relatively healthy - unless they use a lot of cream in their dishes

like others have said tandoori chicken, and dhal are great options - I like vindaloo and saag, as long as you keep the rice down id imagine it would be fine
  • stevieb3052
    stevieb3052 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Basmati rice is OK at about 120 calories for 100 grams. I'd go for tandoori fish or prawns.

The alternative is a vindaloo or phal to make sure you lose the calories the following morning!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful of the oil they use in Indian restaurants because there is more than double if you were to cook it at home. I would usually picker a starter or ask for a half portion of something tomatoey.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Curry is delicious. Eat it all. I will be jealous. :(
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you like!!! Make sure you enjoy your company too! If you log it tomorrow and it ends up a bit high for the day, just spend a few days being EXTRA careful with your calorie intake.

One night out for some curry does not a ruined lifestyle make.
  • LeenaRuns
    Options
    Just eat what you like!!! Make sure you enjoy your company too! If you log it tomorrow and it ends up a bit high for the day, just spend a few days being EXTRA careful with your calorie intake.

One night out for some curry does not a ruined lifestyle make.

Love it!