Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

One A Day Weight Control vitamins-side affects?

I bought some One A Day brand Weight Control vitamins. I took one wednesday eveninig and had a terrible night's sleep. My stomach was upset - I felt really hungry all night and all the next day, but didn't connect the 2. Took another vitamin thursday evening and felt that hungry feeling again around bedtime. Then for several hours I couldn't sleep again, and my mouth kept watering in a weird way.
Has anybody had any kind of reactions to those vitamins? Could there be something in them causing this?

Replies

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    You should probably be taking them with food. If I remember right, it even says so on the directions. I took them years ago and didn't like the affect they had on me.
  • The iron is probably irritating your stomach - that strange achy feeling it causes might be interpreted as hunger as well.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    I also took them a couple years ago and I always felt sick to my stomach. Even taking them with food didn't help me out. I'd find another vitamin.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    The iron is probably irritating your stomach - that strange achy feeling it causes might be interpreted as hunger as well.

They also contain caffeine. Try taking them after breakfast rather than at bedtime.
  • christymarie214
    christymarie214 Posts: 47 Member
    I took them earlier this year and always with breakfast; I would almost immediately get nauseated. I had to stop and pick up a different vitamin.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    I also took them a couple years ago and I always felt sick to my stomach. Even taking them with food didn't help me out. I'd find another vitamin.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me.....I felt extremely nauseous, and taking them with food didn't at all minimize that side effect.
  • They made me a shaky mess! I think it was the caffeine. Even if I took them with food, milk, whatever….it didn’t matter. I was always sick to my stomach and shaky. I take Vitafusion. I love them!
  • 65jackie
    65jackie Posts: 38 Member

This is EXACTLY what happened to me.....I felt extremely nauseous, and taking them with food didn't at all minimize that side effect.

Same here. I'm thinking about trying those gummy ones for adults.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member

They have one of the highest iron contents of any multivitamin that I've found (which is why I take them, I never get near enough iron). Iron is well known to cause stomach upset (it's also why many pregnant women find their prenatal vitamins increase nausea, they are high in iron as well). If taking it with food doesn't work, you could try splitting it in half and taking half in the morning and half later in the day. If all else fails, I'd suggest trying to find a vitamin with a lower iron content.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    You should always take vitamins in the morning with breakfast or at the latest lunchtime and never on an empty stomach!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I can't take any vitamins - they all do weird things to me. From being jittery to my skin breaking out.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Same here. I'm thinking about trying those gummy ones for adults.

this ^
    i can't tell if they work but they are so good nomnomnom
  • It could be the B vitamins that are messing with your sleep. I have to take my vitamin first thing in the morning (since I'm sorta sensitive to B vitamins and they give me too much energy sometimes). Try taking it in the morning for a bit to see if your sleep improves.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    I'd been taking my old vitamins at night - just the Target brand women's multi vitamins. I didn't take the One A Days on an empty stomach, I'd eaten just a short time before. I didn't realize they had caffein in them - that's probably part of the problem!

I guess I'll try taking them in the morning, and if that doesn't work, switch back to my old brand. Thaks!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member

Happened to me too, not with the weight control ones but with One a Day Max. I don't normally take vitamin supplements. I felt so awful about 5 minutes after I took them I had to lay down, and even that didn't help the nausea. My husband who is a vitamin taker was really taken aback and said, "How in the world can vitamins make you nauseated?" I told him, "Take one!!! " He did. On his way to work, had to pull over and put the seat back. Was about to pass out or vomit as well! He called me and told me to throw them away. I went online to some online stores where you can post a review and a LOT of people have these same symptoms. I switched to Nature Made Multi for Her. No problems.