Logging my "juicing"

Options
My husband bought me a Jack LaLanne juicer for an early Christmas present. How would I log juices and pulp from a juicer? I "juice" once or twice a day. I make muffins with pulp from apple, carrot and/or cranberry juice and add veggie pulp to almost every meal for added fiber and nutrients. The only thing I can find about counting the calories for the juice is to take the total calories of the fruits/veggies and subtract 4 calories for every gram of pulp, but how would I add it to my muffin and dinner recipes so I can accurately track my nutrients?

Thanks!

Replies

• cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    OMG lol you definitely caught my attention and really had me there!!!
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    OMG lol you definitely caught my attention and really had me there!!!

Erm...
  • qthompson
    Options
    I juice too! I just use the recipe builder to create my juice and then I just have to click it when I drink it:drinker: I would love for you to share some of your pulp recipes, especially the muffins:love:
  • kristinpruis
    Options
    Just curious how you like your juicer? I have been wanting to get one!!
  • michellyn
    michellyn Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Subbing in case you add pulp recipes :) I'm making carrot juice to fight a fungal infection, and I hate to throw it all away.
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    I will post my recipe as soon as I get home. I'm at work :-/
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be juicing, make sure you do proper PCT.
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

PCT?
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options

Make sure you inject with clean needles too. Have a buddy to it for you. Like Jose Canseco did.
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    Ok, Here's the recipe for those who are asking.

1-1/2 cups ultragrain (whole wheat flour)
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup walnuts
    1/8 cup walnuts, for topping
    1-1/3 cup almond milk
    1/3 cup canola oil
    1 egg
    1/4 cup fruit pulp

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease twelve muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
    Combine dry ingredients and 1/2 cup walnuts in a large bowl. Mix in oil, egg and milk. Fold in fruit pulp. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling to the top of the cup.
    Sprinkle remaining walnuts over muffins.
    Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

Just a couple of notes on this recipe: You can use all-purpose flour instead of whole wheat, vegetable oil instead of canola and regular milk instead of almond. The fruit pulp measurement is relative. I've found you'll want to adjust the amount of pulp you put in the recipe based on how dry it is. If it's too moist, it'll ruin the muffins.

These come to about 200 calories a piece, so they're not the healthiest. I'm planning on trying to make them with stevia instead of sugar next time I make them. I just have to bring myself to spending the extra money stevia costs.

If anyone tries these, please let me know what you think.
  • iamthevieve
    Options

What is PCT?
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    Just curious how you like your juicer? I have been wanting to get one!!

I LOVE it! Although I read on another site that the type of juicer I have loses nutrients and doesn't get enough juice out. It was recommended to get a masticating or geared juicer, not a centrifugal like I have. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is, but I don't plan on buying another juicer any time soon, so...
  • kristinpruis
    Options
    great, thanks for the info. Good to know!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The quotation marks you put around "juicing" in your header implies, I think, that there was some intended play on words going on. "Juicing" is a slang term for using steroids...hence the interest/joviality.
  • KelleFlr
    KelleFlr Posts: 142
    Options
    I LOVE it! Although I read on another site that the type of juicer I have loses nutrients and doesn't get enough juice out. It was recommended to get a masticating or geared juicer, not a centrifugal like I have. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is, but I don't plan on buying another juicer any time soon, so...
    [/quote]

I have the Jack LaLange Power Juicer and really like it. We use the pulp in muffins too, and compost what we don't. I have learned that grapefruit, lemons, oranges and other citrus (after peeled) don't do well for use of the pulp... We just toss the skin out.
    As for a recipe we use the one off the back of the Bob's Red Mill Bran Flax Muffins. It uses a total of 4C of fruit (the recipe is apple, carrots and raisins)... we just use whatever pulp that we think will taste ok. To boos the protein I add a little soy flour. Because it uses flax meal there is no oil. Full of Omega's.

Kelle
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    The quotation marks you put around "juicing" in your header implies, I think, that there was some intended play on words going on. "Juicing" is a slang term for using steroids...hence the interest/joviality.

Duly noted. I'm not familiar with that sort of jargon. Thanks for the info!
  • iamthevieve
    Options

I have the Jack LaLange Power Juicer and really like it. We use the pulp in muffins too, and compost what we don't. I have learned that grapefruit, lemons, oranges and other citrus (after peeled) don't do well for use of the pulp... We just toss the skin out.
    As for a recipe we use the one off the back of the Bob's Red Mill Bran Flax Muffins. It uses a total of 4C of fruit (the recipe is apple, carrots and raisins)... we just use whatever pulp that we think will taste ok. To boos the protein I add a little soy flour. Because it uses flax meal there is no oil. Full of Omega's.

Kelle
    [/quote]

Thanks for the info! Is soy flour expensive?