Thinking about protein shakes? Do you?

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I was not aware....thanks for the info...new here and trying so hard!!
    Dude-
    men shouldnt really take in soy. google it...the general rule is the estrogen in soy is counter productive to mens testosterone...its a big debate but I would advise against soy for men

It is a big debate. I personally wouldn't worry about Soy consumption at all. To quote Alan Aragon on this issue (it's good to get info from several sources but for the record I find Alan to be top of the list for reliable info):

Not likely to be a concern. However, if you have thyroid issue excessive soy consumption could exacerbate them or interfere with thyroid meds. Back to the question though, the evidence doesn't indicate its detriment on androgen levels in a population relevant to us:

"CONCLUSION: This investigation shows that 12 week supplementation with soy protein does not decrease serum testosterone or inhibit lean body mass changes in subjects engaged in a resistance exercise program."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17908338
  • lawson305
    Options
    very confusing to say the least.....i'm starting to think the best thing is to do is drink 8 glasses of water, some skittles, and finish for the day....Siri says I'll weigh 150 pounds in 5 weeks! I can do this!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I avoided them a long time because I had a slipped disc in my jaw (TMJ) years ago and HAD to have a lot of shakes because I couldn't eat most foods, and the thought of having them now set off my gag reflex. :laugh: After my jaw improved, I enjoyed eating too much to drink my calories... with exceptions for vodka, rum and tequila of course.

Since I went on maintenance, I had a hard time reaching my 25% protein goal, especially on exercise days. I tried a few protein bars, but they seemed really pricy and high in calories for the amount of protein in them (10-15g), so I picked up a tub of vanilla whey protein about two weeks ago from Target for $17. So that's 26 servings for $17... $.65 a scoop and each scoop is 25g of protein, vs about $1 each for bars with only 10g of protein.

I haven't noticed any changes, but I really wasn't expecting to in that short of a time span. But I love it mixed with skim or lowfat chocolate milk either after a workout or as a bedtime snack.
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are one of my weightloss tools. On days that I know I will be eating out or maybe indulging (like holidays) I will replace a meal with one. I also enjoy a shake after working out, especially if I lifted weights.

Just know that all shake/whey mixes are not necessarily equal. Most are loaded with chemicals and junk you cannot pronounce. It is also really easy to add so much "stuff" to your shake that it can end up being high calorie.

I would suggest going to Whole Foods or a Natural Foods "like" store. You can usually buy individual packets to try the powder before buying the big container. I bought a container yesterday and the price had gone up from $32 to $45...so you want to make sure you like it and will use it! My favorite brands are It's About Time and Bio Chem Sports. The first is very very "clean" and has the higest # of protein with no carbs or sugars or chemicals. I add a few slices of frozen bananna and a spoonful of natural peanut butter. It's sooo filling and I feel like I've had a major treat. Of course you can get whey powder much cheaper at Walmart of Costco....it just depends on what you prefer regarding taste, nutrition ect.....
  • jwhitfield3
    jwhitfield3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @sidesteal - You're going to trust government "research"? They line their pockets with whoever is willing to pay for information distribution. My wild stab in the dark here is that the soy lobby had a little coin exchange to get the "research" they needed to sell more product. The government is responsible for the woefully inadequate FDA recommendations and atrocious prescription medicine addictions/deaths, among many other horrors. You believe what they say?

@lawson305 - I'd steer clear of soy. Rice, almond and coconut milk are excellent alternatives and you can easily find one that is palatable to you. Minor amounts of soy protein won't kill you, it is found in lots of protein bars (it's cheaper, so they use it), but don't get a big tub of soy protein...
    http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

@ All - Sounds like most of you are doing awesome. Protein supplementation is good because it is so difficult to eat enough protein in our food. MFP is an incredible resource, but their macro nutrient recommendations, like the FDA's, are terrible. If you have that little protein and that high carb count, the weight you lose could quickly return and you certainly won't be gaining any lean mass.

If you are lactose-resistant (many are and don't know it) like me, you can use a high quality whey isolate protein, rice protein, egg protein, etc. There are many good alternatives to dairy-based proteins.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    So on the topic of protein shakes- I have never really thought I had a need for this but I am interested in your personal reason for making them. What kind of results you have had, and which you like. I am considering it as I have had the longest ever plateau but am interested in your thoughts. As far as my daily log goes I am not deficient in protein but I know many that use it are not either- thanks for the feedback!
    A plateau is 6 weeks or more of no weight loss after being consistent with food and exercise. If not it's just a stall. 2 things to change first. Your exercise routine then eat maintenance calories for a couple of days or so.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I use Visalus protein, low calorie shakes! 90 total calories, 12 grams of protein, which I take 3 shakes a day and eat 2 meals. It smells like cake mix and tastes great with almond milk. It greatly helps me with cutting weight and building muscle. Its a plus for those that wants to lose weight or tone up.
    You can't cut weight and build muscle at the same time unless you're one of the "special" people. It's usually one or the other.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    @sidesteal - You're going to trust government "research"? They line their pockets with whoever is willing to pay for information distribution. My wild stab in the dark here is that the soy lobby had a little coin exchange to get the "research" they needed to sell more product. The government is responsible for the woefully inadequate FDA recommendations and atrocious prescription medicine addictions/deaths, among many other horrors. You believe what they say?
    I will agree with Sidesteal. There have been other peer reviewed clinical studies done to show that soy DOESN'T affect serum testosterone. ACSM did one.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson71.htm

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    @sidesteal - You're going to trust government "research"?

I'm going to trust Alan Aragon.
    EDIT: Also, do you then disregard anything on pubmed, or is there something about this particular study that you don't trust? Do you believe all studies on pubmed are influenced by money and therefore not to be trusted?

What source of peer-reviewed scientific study do you find relevant?
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It.s very important to look at the labels as well become some may not be as diet friendly and i'm not refering to just weight gainers.

BSN's Syntha-6 protein is by far the best and richest flavor one can experience and enjoy. however, when I carb cycle every little gram counts, and even though the carbs aren't insanely high. I still have to go to my next favorite being Optimum Nutritions "Gold Standard 100% whey protein" not as deliciouis as syntha-6, but less calories per serving. My method of determining flavor is how rich it taste with plain water.

Artificial sweeteners can make or break the product. and BSN has nailed it! It does have different blends of protein and one of them being a bit of casein which is slow digesting so the protein continues to slowly, and steadily absorb throughout the next couple hours.

Many folks won't purchase this product do to the price, and, or availability of knowing where to get it with convenience.

Vitaminshoppe retail store in your city/town - ask for internet price, it is their policy to honor it. ($12 saving ) bringing a 5 lb. container down to! $41. That's a great deal! Or you can find any other major brand you're looking for and save some dough, because even with your GNC Gold Member card, that you use on the first week of the month you're still overpaying :(

Don't have a vitaminshoppe in your area, than you can still visit their site and save more because they don't charge tax online, and delivery of items over $25 is free most of the time. 3-4 day shipping.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

ITA with this. I always do my own research and then make my own informed decisions before taking the govt's word on anything!

With that said, yes I do use protein shakes (Jay Robb brand). I used them previously and they really helped since I was doing a lot of weight training. I try to get all my protein from whole foods but some days it's really hard with being a mom to 2, working, etc. Sometimes I mix the protein powder with a little coconut milk and greek yogurt instead of a shake.
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    the protein in protein shakes isnt some super protein - its just a meal replacement for people who need protein but don't have time to cook (I take some to the library/hospital all the time). If you can its always better to get your protein from a lean meat, the whey protein (despite claims on the tub) is not something better for you that through German engineering will give amazing results - its simple a meal substitute
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have an issue with cutting and gaining at the same time, its very hard but it can be done. I'm a boxer, and stay in shape year round. I'm also a certified personal trainer, and would say anything is possible and for those that can do it, good job....
    quote]
    I use Visalus protein, low calorie shakes! 90 total calories, 12 grams of protein, which I take 3 shakes a day and eat 2 meals. It smells like cake mix and tastes great with almond milk. It greatly helps me with cutting weight and building muscle. Its a plus for those that wants to lose weight or tone up.
    You can't cut weight and build muscle at the same time unless you're one of the "special" people. It's usually one or the other.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]
  • KCarpenter83
    KCarpenter83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes because I set my macro ratio to 40/30/30 carb/fat/pro and I have a VERY hard time hitting that 30% protein if I don't.

Same here- i drink Unjury (whey isolate, low carb low sugar) protein just mixed in water everyday to keep my protein level up.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I do protein shakes almost every day for breakfast. Today's shake? 8 oz milk, 2 scoops EAS vanilla, 2 shots of espresso, ice. I get my caffeine boost and AM protein shot in one go.

Normally, my smoothies consist of orange juice, frozen fruit, and unflavored NZ whey powder, but I bought the vanilla EAS when I ran out of the unsweetened stuff, and it's too sweet in a fruit-based smoothie.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I usually have one after a workout if my protein for the day is low. I am a big fan of Isopure Zero Carb, some coconut milk and frozen fruit of choice. It's quick and easy. Plus the coconut milk helps keep my fat levels where they need to be too.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I was not aware....thanks for the info...new here and trying so hard!!
    Dude-
    men shouldnt really take in soy. google it...the general rule is the estrogen in soy is counter productive to mens testosterone...its a big debate but I would advise against soy for men

It is a big debate. I personally wouldn't worry about Soy consumption at all. To quote Alan Aragon on this issue (it's good to get info from several sources but for the record I find Alan to be top of the list for reliable info):

Not likely to be a concern. However, if you have thyroid issue excessive soy consumption could exacerbate them or interfere with thyroid meds. Back to the question though, the evidence doesn't indicate its detriment on androgen levels in a population relevant to us:

"CONCLUSION: This investigation shows that 12 week supplementation with soy protein does not decrease serum testosterone or inhibit lean body mass changes in subjects engaged in a resistance exercise program."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17908338

Very true. However soy is an inferior form of protein with regard to bioavailability and amino acid profile. Unless you are a vegan or don't tolerate whey, there's really no reason to supplement with soy protein when there are better choices available.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    wow....right on target, i've been sick and needed to increase protein, as I haven't had much of an appetite....so just made myself this shake:

1. Weight Watchers - Creamy Chocolate Smoothie Mix, 1 packet (26 g)
    2. Silk Soy Milk - Vanilla Light 70 Cal Per 1.5 Cups
    3. Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Cookies and Cream - Protien Powder, 0.5 Scoop

255 calories, 31 grams of protein, 24 carbs, 14 sugar - a bit pricey but tastes good! Next time I will skip the WW powder, but had it here and wanted to give it a whirl...

Dude-

I would! All soy is GMO. All of it. Whey isn't. If you can dare find a Soy based protein non GMO it's ridiculous expensive. Not to mention the estrogen dealio. Trust me, in American diet, your getting your soy. Pick up a label. Any label.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Very true. However soy is an inferior form of protein with regard to bioavailability and amino acid profile. Unless you are a vegan or don't tolerate whey, there's really no reason to supplement with soy protein when there are better choices available.

I absolutely agree with you. I was only posting it so the person using soy didn't fear that he would grow boobs and lose his man parts.