I ran my first mile in my life today! What happends next? lo

Options
So I finally did it after about a week and half of trying....I actually ran a 15 minute mile! All 220 pounds of me actually moved for 15 minutes straight. The best bit was that I was not winded.

I was in such a high when I knew I was going to make it!

Has anyone had this benchmark recently?

What is some advice you could give?

My next goal is to make it a 12 min mile or less.

The maybe add more distance...(.5 maybe over the next 2 weeks)

Thanks ahead for any support and advice! :)

Replies

• ladybuglady15
    ladybuglady15 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say congrats!! It's so hard to push yourself through sometimes, especially when it comes to running! It is such a rush when you've made it further than you ever have before. :D

Congrats again!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yaaaaaaaay congrats!!!!!! I ran my first mile back in March and it was pretty life changing. You should try a couch to 5k program :)
  • 65PONY
    65PONY Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congrats...

Just take it slow and steady so you don't get injured...If it feels good keep going...if it hurts, be careful and steady! I always made the mistake of thinking I could run really fast and usally hurt myself...now I don't worry about the time...I concentrate on slow steady healthy increase in exercise and the time will naturally come down....

Great Job! Keep the focus & Finish Strong!

Cheers, Joe
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Great,
    Good for you.
    I would keep at that distance for a short time(week or two) and then try to get up to 2 miles.
    You can probably stay at 2 miles for a very long time.
    Good Luck.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    Congrats! Awesome accomplishment.

I started couch to 5k back about 10 weeks ago (I had a few restart weeks early on) and I remember when I had my first 8 min run.. I was thinking.. Wow.. I haven't ran this much at one time in the last 10 years.

I personally prefer working on duration of run and then improving time, but it all really depends on your goals.

I'm with christina_the on this.. if you are enjoying running, go check out Couch to 5k. :D
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Keep it up!
  • kristarablue
    Options
    OH...I am so proud of you, that is amazing, wonderful and awesome. When I ran my first mile I cried! I was the biggest accomplishment ever....you my dear will soar...excellent job!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Good job. I remember in High School about once a month they'd make us run a mile in PE. It was the worst days of my life. We'd drag our feet and take the whole 50 minute period to do it.

Now I do 6 miles a couple times each week! in about 70 minutes.

Just keep doing it. You will be amazed at how fast your body will adjust to it. You need to get comfortable with being uncomfortable in your workouts, that's where you see results!

Don't stop at a mile, keep going, walk, trot, run, job, walk. Keep going until you hit 2 miles.

Get yourself up to 3 miles, then go do a 5K event!!

Happy Holidays!

- Mike
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Just be prepared running becomes addictive. I would also recommend a C25K program and just keep moving, you will love the way it makes you feel.
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!

I remember when I ran my first mile. I felt the same way!! It happened about a year ago, and girl... just KEEP RUNNING!!! :)

I can now run about 4 miles and cant seem to get past that, but hey, that's fine with me!!

Keep it up!!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud!!! I didn't start running until I was 37. I still remember the day I ran my first mile. 7 months later, I completed my first marathon (I'm a slow 'runner', at 13 min/mile pace).

What happens next? You build on it. Keep it going. You're awesome. Congratulations!
  • merrick7871
    Options
    Wonderful! I am jealous!
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you and so INSPIRED by you. I weigh less than you and have NOT run 1 mile yet. I always made excuses to myself that I was too heavy to run and that my knees would not support my weight in running. But you've done it...which make me have the courage and energy to want to try. So I'll give it a try today. THANK YOU.
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    LOL! Congrats! I say next, you run it again, and start getting ready for a 5K. YAY!
  • Brendevi
    Options
    What happens next is up to you! I say congratulations girl, you're a runner! Just bask in the glory and keep doing it or any other activity that makes you feel good. What you concentrate on happens!! So figure out what IS next and watch it happen!! Cool I'm happy for you:happy:
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    So I finally did it after about a week and half of trying....I actually ran a 15 minute mile! All 220 pounds of me actually moved for 15 minutes straight. The best bit was that I was not winded.

I was in such a high when I knew I was going to make it!

Has anyone had this benchmark recently?

What is some advice you could give?

My next goal is to make it a 12 min mile or less.

The maybe add more distance...(.5 maybe over the next 2 weeks)

Thanks ahead for any support and advice! :)

KEEP RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't rush it, get good shoes and keep going...pace yourself and enjoy the ride.
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!! You should be so proud of yourself:) Just keep on moving and enjoy the feeling.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! That's awesome! :) Hehe, advice? Just keep at it, enjoy! :)
  • tchrklm
    tchrklm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo!!! I know what a high it is to reach a milestone. My advice for distance??? Every run, make yourself run at least as far as you did the day before but try to go a little further (even if its just a few feet)!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!