Not eating Breakfast??? Over 50 please.

Options
Hi all;

I rarely eat breakfast. When I worked I never ate breakfast. In fact I would go all day and not eat.I only got a half hour for lunch and as a teacher of special needs students, I was either handling a situation, doing paperwork, etc. I also found it made me so tired. Yes, I was given snacks by the kids, real junk food usually,, If I did eat lunch, it was at my desk and shoved it down in a few minutes. Also, I never had a weight problem.

If you read my profile you will understand me more. Anyway, since ing MFP, I keep being told to "eat breakfast"...yes I know it is the most important meal. Many times I try to. However, please understand that at my age it is difficult to change. Yes I am concerned about my heath, but honestly, not too much. I have seen too many people lived to 80 or 90 smoking and drinking. For me , yes I want to be healthy but I am not obsessed with it.

I was advised by several doctors to lose weight due to a bad hip, which hurts.

So, what to do.
I am SO TIRED of being told to eat more calories and eat breakfast.

What do you do?

It is noon, been up since 7, no breakfast!!!

Replies

• Alexabarocas
    Options
    The thing is, breakfast is an important meal for a reason. Ideally, to lose weight, you need your metabolism CONSTANTLY going. And what makes your metabolism move? Food.
    You have to think of your body as a car. If there's no gas, is it going to go anywhere? And if there's a little in, it'll stop in the middle of the road somewhere!

When it comes down to it, if you really want to lose some weight, you need to eat multiple small meals and snacks a day. You need to fuel your body to lose weight becuase right now it seems to be running on little to nothing.

I would suggest getting meal replacement bars so that instead of sitting down and cooking or taking time to put together some cereal, you can just take that and a bottle of water on the go.

But in the end, you really need to want this for it to change. You can do it! :)
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    i had coffee for breakfast...now from the research i have been reading i have seen studies on both sides. I've read that eating breakfast is not essential as our ancestors didnt wake up and eat breakfast as food wasnt readily available etc. Others of course say that eating breakfast is important and that people who more evenly distrubute their caloric intake throughout the day tend to have a lower BMI where as if you skip breakfast you have a higher frequency of fatigue, intense food intake during the rest of the day. Honestly what i do is zigzag my eating habits depending on my cardio for the day. IF you restrict your diet too much, you have a higher frequency of failure. I think breakfast is important but it doesnt have to be heavy with carbs and fat. I try to get my carbs in for breakfast and the rest of the day i stick more with protein. For instance, i tend to have two slices of whole wheat bread with eggwhites for breakfast, the protein is important as it helps make you feel full without the high glycemic values. I dont load an omeltte with cheese etc. I think you should eat breakfast but its more dependant on how you feel and how your weight loss is going. Again I like the zigzag diet where sometimes I go longer into fast and sometimes i go shorter, keep my body guessing when its getting food
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    :) I eat breakfast.

LOL. I know it's hard to do -- I have a very busy morning as well, but I always make sure to get SOMETHING in, like an apple or banana to eat in the car. EVERYONE has time for that.

Now I am working on eating a more substantial breakfast. There's a reason everyone tells you to do it!!

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Good luck on your journey and with your surgery!!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You can eat or not eat breakfast, that's your choice. You can also try something different if you choose. But it sounds like you don't want to eat breakfast, so don't. Do something else that's different then.

I am one of those people who absolutely needs breakfast. I can skip dinner if necessary but not breakfast.

You know, you can always eat breakfast food later in the day if you like it then.

My favorite breakfast lately is a homemade egg mcmuffin, with a raspberry smoothie.

I use one light multi-grain English muffin, melt a slice (or 1/2) cheese on one side after I toast the muffin. I poach one egg for the sandwich.

For the smoothie, I blend in a blender, Trop50 apple juice (1/2 c.), along with 1/2 c. of Stonyfield nonfat plain yogurt and 1/2 c. frozen raspberries.

I sometimes eat this later in the day because it is low calorie, but still fills me up. I think it's about 300-350 calories.
  • KittMahan
    Options
    A wise person once said "if you are hungry, then eat. If you are thirsty, then drink."

So long as your body is healthy, why change now?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    If you do not want to eat breakfast do not do it.

There is absolutely no reason to eat breakfast if it does nothing for you, your health or your food choices.
    It does boost your metabolism but not enough to cancel out the food you eat. If you're like me you don't want it boosted as it makes me more hungry at lunch and prone to bad food choices.
    It does not start your metabolism. If it stopped over night you'd be in serious trouble.

Bottom line is do what works for you. You don't want breakfast and it does nothing for you don't eat it.
    If it does, do.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options

There is absolutely no reason to eat breakfast if it does nothing for you, your health or your food choices.
    It does boost your metabolism but not enough to cancel out the food you eat. If you're like me you don't want it boosted as it makes me more hungry at lunch and prone to bad food choices.
    It does not start your metabolism. If it stopped over night you'd be in serious trouble.

Bottom line is do what works for you. You don't want breakfast and it does nothing for you don't eat it.
    If it does, do.

This. You sound like a person who would love to do IF (Intermittant fasting). Google it. Or visit www.leangains.com I'll send you an invite to our group of over 100 members (you can choose to ignor the invite or join) as more and more friends are convinced this is working for them and their lifestyle. Its a new"er" concept so its hard changing people's minds about not eating breakfast and always eating every 3 hours. Honestly that always made me overeat. Now that I do IF I eat my goal cals and am losing body fat and NOT losing muscle. So its what works for you. :heart:
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I'll be 65 next month, and I've reinvented myself a couple of times since I turned 50 including going back to graduate school to get an MS in clinical psych at the age of 53. If you choose to believe that change is more difficult when you get older, well, that's your choice and it will be your reality, but it's not fate written in the stars or a "life rule" or anything like that. I guess I missed the Old Fogies Manual they hand out when you turn 50. When I was attending a job search group at a local community agency a couple of years ago, the advice given included getting retraining and a number of guys in their 50s said they wouldn't or couldn't do that because of their age. They didn't seem to see that it was their choice to believe this, nothing more.

Regarding breakfast, I try to eat when I'm hungry, eat what I want, enjoy it, and stop when I'm full. I find that for me, not having something in the morning leaves me wanting for energy by midday. Sometimes I'll have oatmeal, sometimes just yoghurt. Sometimes I'll have one of those high-fiber bars. I keep packets of oatmeal and fiber bars at work, and I'll sometimes stop at the Potbelly's across the street on the way in and grab oatmeal. But I've also been known to just have a coffee or tea and "break my fast" at lunchtime. I think hunger's the key: if I'm not feeling the urge, I'll wait until I'm a little hungry ... but I also think it's a mistake waiting until I'm famished.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well, I am over 50 and I hope I believe that there is always room for change in all of us. I think we just have to set our mind to it.

As for as eating breakfast, that is up to you. I eat breakfast every morning and I do not do the several little meals a day thing.
    For me that is just unrealistic for my life. I eat breakfast, lunch and supper. If I am hungry I will eat a snack in between. But, for me, I find that if I eat a protein at each meal, I do not get hungry between meals.

Bottom line is that you have to figure out what is best for you.

But, please do not close yourself off from change. Change is good for all of us and it enriches our lives.

As for as the 80 and 90 year old people smoking and drinking, that may be so, but I don't see too many overweight people walking around in that age group. That is why I am getting this weight off.

Wishing you the best!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    A wise person once said "if you are hungry, then eat. If you are thirsty, then drink."

Thanks..You are awesome my friend!!!
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    You will be totally fine not eating breakfast. Many bodybuilders claim the body will go catabolic after not eating for 6-8 hours but in truth its all a bunch of bs. Its actually been proven that it takes your body sometimes up to 72 hours to go into a catabolic/starvation state. On my off days from lifting I usually don't eat anything until about 6 o clock at night and usually wake up around 830 on those mornings. No muscle has been lost and as far as I'm concerned I've never gone into a starvation mode because of it.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

good point
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options

If it does, do.

Thank you for that!!!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Everyone has been so helpful. There have been so many different answers. I really appreciate that!
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    ... please understand that at my age it is difficult to change. Yes I am concerned about my heath, but honestly, not too much. I have seen too many people lived to 80 or 90 smoking and drinking. For me , yes I want to be healthy but I am not obsessed with it.

I was advised by several doctors to lose weight due to a bad hip, which hurts. ...
    I was sorry to read your comment that "at my age it is difficult to change". I am over 50 (well over 50!) and I love change. I find it invigorating! I expect that you just don't want to change, and you are using your age as an excuse. So be it. This is your decision.

With respect to eating breakfast, some of the posts support your position about breakfast, others don't.

I have Type II diabetes (as does my mother, and my paternal grandfather). I also have macular degeneration (as does an aunt). I eat a healthy breakfast every day. I exercise every day. I am losing weight. I am doing the best I can to live a healthy lifestyle. My hope is that you are too.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast and never did. I lost all the weight I wanted. I don't exercise either. Cut calories only. Oh and I'm 55. :drinker:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to skip breakfast. No matter when you eat that first meal is breakfast because it breaks the fast your body has been on since your last meal.

That said, it isn't bad to wait until you're hungry before you eat. I normally start my day with tea or coffee.

You should really try to meet your calorie goal, since you body needs those calories for fuel, not eating them is really bad for your health. I'm not even talking about "starvation mode". If you deprive your body of nutrients for too long you can end up with the same health problems as anorexics. Be careful not to go under by too much.

Sorry I'm not 50. :frown:
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat breakfast because I'm generally just not hungry before 11 or noon and I haven't had any problems losing weight. I agree with the poster who said eat when you are hungry.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with breakfast but have made a conscious effort to eat it and I have succeeded to do so most days! But I don't generally eat it until about 2 hours after I get up so I think as long as you feel comfortable with your eating don't worry! Aim for a healthy balanced diet! If breakfast isn't for you then don't eat it! But I have found that I am so hungry by lunch time if I eat breakfast so it does seem to kick start things! Certainly don't stress!
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I have to eat every 3-4 hours as I'm border line hyperglycemic so breakfast is a very important meal to me since I've been asleep for 8 hours. I try to get up in enough time to sit down and enjoy what I eat but it doesn't always happen. I eat cereal and fruit with coffee most days or I'll make a homemade egg mcmuffin. My husband on the other hand NEVER eats breakfast. He doesn't eat his first meal until 3-4 hours after being up (usually around lunch time). He is very healthy and at a healthy weight. I would say what ever works for you. If you don't want to eat breakfast, don't. The last thing you want to do is dread eating. If you are concerned about calorie intake, trying getting meal replacement shakes. I like these when I don't want to eat but still need to keep my levels up. Chocolate Special K shakes are delicious and seem more like a treat than healthy food!

What ever your choice, good luck on your journey!