Losing with limited exercise??

Is it realistic? I mean don't get me wrong I love going for walks and running on the treadmill and when I first started here I was doing great!!! I think I jumped in too fast and too hard because I ended up with a stress fracture in my heel that went un-diagnosed for 5 months :( It took me constantly complaining about a pain in my heel and barely being able to walk for my doc to order an x-ray and low an behold we had the problem. Now my problem is I have it bandaged all the time and I have special shoe things and I can't be on it like I normally am. I'm not allowed to go for walks or running until its fully healed... and ITS KILLING ME!!!! I'm getting married March 24 and and losing hope that I will look semi good in my dress!! How do I lose weight without begin able to do my main exercises?? Better yet!!! How do I heal this stupid foot faster!!! I don't know if I'm even asking a question that can be answered, maybe I'm just venting I don't know. But I feel a little better getting that off my chest. Thanks!

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Calorie deficit= weight loss.
  • How long until you are cleared to exercise? There are exercises you can do without putting weight on your heels. You can do ab, back, and arm exercises. You can also do them quickly moving from one exercise to the next so you are still getting a cardio component.
  • I know you said that you can't go for walks or run, but would it be possible for you to do a more low impact workout like yoga? I'm sure there are poses that may be uncomfortable with your heel, but I bet you could do the majority of them and still feel like you're getting a workout.
  • Adventuretown
    Adventuretown Posts: 120 Member
    I'm doing Isa.genix, and it's possible! My friend started her program and went too hard exercising and threw her back out after 5 days and was on bed rest for a week. She still managed to release MEGA weight doing absolutely nothing.

I'm -29 lbs and -36.25" in 2 months and I have been doing moderate exercise (and putting on lean muscle)

Let me know if you want more info.
  • I feel like weight loss is possible without exercise. The only exercise I get is working three times a week. When I get home, I do not exercise. I will walk the dogs 3 times a week for a 30 minute walk, but it is a very leisurely walk, so I really don't count this as a work out.

I monitor calorie intake. The weight loss is slow that is averaging one pound a week. I have lost 23 pounds so far!
  • I feel like weight loss is possible without exercise. The only exercise I get is working three times a week. When I get home, I do not exercise. I will walk the dogs 3 times a week for a 30 minute walk, but it is a very leisurely walk, so I really don't count this as a work out.

I monitor calorie intake. The weight loss is slow that is averaging one pound a week. I have lost 23 pounds so far!
  • I am living proof: how much you eat and what you eat is more important than exercise. Calories in vs. calories out. I log my calories religiously and I've lost 41 pounds since May. I have 4 kids, a husband and a full-time job, so I just do not have time for regular exercise in my day.
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    i'm down my first 7lb with no intentional exercise! although i do intend to start trying to tone soon
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    You could also do upper body work, with handweights or even a resistance band. Good luck!
  • superflyrbi
    superflyrbi Posts: 80 Member

This
  • peace827
    peace827 Posts: 4 Member
    I wish I could have success like you. What is your calorie intake? I am very busy at work and getting a master's degree on the side. I just can't fit exercise in. When I do get home, I am exhausted.

I am averaging about 1300 calories per day and have only lost 6 lbs since August (when I stumbled on this site). I would love to lose about 30. Any tips?
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member

This
    Yep.
    I've lost all of my weight with only spurts of exercise. My first 40 lbs were lost with ONLY watching my calories. I am now pretty much at goal and finally learning to exercise regularly in order to keep it off.
  • peace827
    peace827 Posts: 4 Member
    That's awesome. What was your calorie intake?
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    I think why I have trouble losing weight is because I use exercise to create a deficit when I should just be lowering my calorie count and exercising for fitness instead.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Do you need to have your ankles in shape to look good in your wedding dress?

You can do calisthenics to firm up your thighs, abdomen, and arms while lying on the floor. And as mentioned above, if you're less active, you just eat more. You will need things to keep you busy while you're sitting around the house. Consider taking up a new hobby/art/music/blogging etc.

Also, as far as the fracture, make sure you are getting enough calcium and vitamin D. The RDA for vitamin D assumes some outdoor activity (sunlight converts cholesterol to vitamin D in your skin), so you may want an extra supplement. Calcium carbonate is a better supplement than calcium phosphate like bone meal, as you are already getting lots of phosphorus if you eat meats and drink carbonated beverages.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    i would think one of the best low impact full body workouts would be swimming....used to do that a lot when i was younger and was in great shape :) want to do it now but the place near me that has it is wickedly expensive lol
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Peace827, was that questions for me? My intake was always at around 1200-1275 (I'm 5' short). I switched it around every month or so to give myself a break. I'm at 1260 right now.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    I think why I have trouble losing weight is because I use exercise to create a deficit when I should just be lowering my calorie count and exercising for fitness instead.

Correct.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171

Correct.
    It is hard to eat lower because you have to ignore the hunger feelings throughout the day. If a person didn't feel that way, losing weight would be much easier. So time to get used to a bit of discomfort, lol.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    I don't exercise much...Lost 27 lbs so far...Just gotta track your calories & whatnot.