Perspective

Options
We of course have a certain amount of nutrients we need per day to regulate our bodies and live a healthy lifestyle.

Lets do a comparison: (both of these diet examples hypothetically carry the same amount of calories etc)

Here we have Jane. She is 5'5 and weighs 150 lbs. She wants to lose 25 lbs. Her calore intake for weight loss is... lets just say 1400 calories.

Her diet: (these calories may not add up to 1400)

Breakfast: Old fashion oatmeal mixed with flax seed, 4 egg whites, and a cup of coffee with non dairy creamer non pasteurized. Water.

Snack: Apple and a yogurt. Water

Lunch: 4 oz of lean meat, steamed veggies, and a sweet potatoe. Water

Snack: Handful of all natural almonds . water

Dinner: Tilapia (or lean meat) with veggies. Water

NOW we have her best friend Cynthia. She is also 5'5 and weighs 150 lbs. She also wants to lose 25 lbs. She will consume 1400 calories..

ALTHOUGH, this is cynthias diet.

Breakfast: bagel with a little cream cheese, one piece of bacon and one egg. coffee with french vanilla creamer and water.

Snack: Kellogs 90 calorie bar. water

Lunch: 2 slices of pizza cheese only. water

Snack: protein shake. water

Dinner: Steak and veggies. water

I know that Jane will lose weight (and fat) at a faster pace than Cynthia will even though they will consume the same amount of calories. WHYS THIS?

You are what you eat. Foods have different effects on the body. The difference is the nutrients. If we do not get the right amount of nutrients we need a day regardless if we eat enough calories. Our bodies will not run at its optimal level.

Here's an analogy:

You consuming whole foods is like putting premium in your Ferrari.

You consuming non nutritious food is like putting regular in your diesel.

Namaste.

Replies

• traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well put!! Thank you for posting this!
  • bfrederick3015
    bfrederick3015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Very well put and great analogy.
  • Sridenbaugh
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate you for taking the time to read it. :o)
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Agreed
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I find that eating healthier foods is more comfortable than simple calorie restriction. If I eat fast food, but only eat 1400 calories of it, I am hungrier than if I ate 1400 calories of veggies and whole grains. This is because the healthier foods take up more space in my belly and provide fiber to make all that volume move through my digestive tract.

So, I have no idea which way would lose weight faster, but I can tell you that if I can eat a reasonable volume of food and still go to the bathroom the next day, I am more likely to stick with it.
  • Sridenbaugh
    Options
    I understand. The BIGGEST problem with eating non nutritious foods are there ingredients. Check out my blog about MSG.
  • Great post darling! :) Love your post!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Disagree. The diet of the second person actually appears more "whole". What's wrong with bacon? A WHOLE egg instead of just the whites? What's in that "non-dairy" creamer?? How is the steak and veggies "non-nutritous"? Edited to add: I don't think the first plan is bad, but the second one isn't non nutritious or horrible in any way (not a fan of K-bars though).

What's "whole" about non-dairy creamer (which is consumed in both diets in your example)? Many contain the following ingreadients:

• Corn syrup solids: Corn syrup is, for the most part, glucose. When it’s dehydrated to about 10 percent water, the resulting granules are basically sugar.

• Vegetable oil solids: Powdered creamer has to get its creamy texture somewhere. Coconut and palm kernel oils are among the heavier food oils and are added – in all their partially hydrogenated glory – for velvety smoothness. Because they add up to less than 0.5 gram of trans fat, the label can claim “zero grams trans fat.”

• Sodium caseinate: Casein is a protein found in cow’s milk, thus making this nondairy product off-limits to vegans. Officially, it’s kosher, but don’t go mixing it with meat. (Note to self: no more ground beef in your coffee.)

• Dipotassium phosphate: Also called phosphoric acid, dipotassium phosphate provides the tang in Coca-Cola. It helps us digest sugars, fats, and proteins, which happen to be nondairy creamer’s top three ingredients. Oh, it’s also a pesticide and a major ingredient in fertilizer.

• Monoglycerides and diglycerides: These single- or double-chain fatty acids end in a glycerol molecule. The glycerol end attaches to water, and the fatty acid end to fats and oils, making these substances gentle mediators between the creamer and the coffee.

• Sodium alumionosilicate: Known to potters as albite feldspar (a ceramic glaze and strengthening agent), sodium alumionosilicate is used in foods as an anticaking agent. Powdered nondairy creamer is flammable, and if it gets too anticaked (dispersed in the air like a cloud), it can explode. Just one spark, and – kaboom!

• Artificial flavors: Since glucose, palm kernel oil, and sodium caseinate don’t really taste like cream, artificial flavors are required. Manufacturers tend to keep exactly what they use a secret. Of course, these flavors can sometimes come in very noncream varieties like hazelnut, amaretto, or mocha.

• Annato: This natural pigment from a tropical plant provides a yellow color, so the creamer looks more, you know, dairy-ish.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    No wonder I was so confused about nutrition for so long! :flowerforyou:
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    agreed... i eat lots of nuts n i just realised im nuts!!

ps.awesome before after!!! HUUUGE CHANGE!
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I hope this is true. It bodes well for me. :)

To add to it, I've lost weight reaallly fast so far (please don't let this jinx me!), even though I didn't/don't have a ton to lose - down 10 lbs from 141 in about 6 weeks! Has blown my mind.. I've been eating really cleanly, most of my calories from fruits & veggies, nuts, greek yogurt - so maybe this explains it. Thanks for the post!

Edited to add: I've found it much easier to be satisfied on 1400 calories with whole foods, also. I don't think it's possible for me to eat enough pasta, chips, candy to truly be satisfied (I swear it's addictive!), but after whole food meals, I just feel good, more peaceful - like, it was really tasty, but I'm not dying for another portion of it. :)
  • Sridenbaugh
    Options
    I hope this is true. It bodes well for me. :)

To add to it, I've lost weight reaallly fast so far (please don't let this jinx me!), even though I didn't/don't have a ton to lose - down 10 lbs from 141 in about 6 weeks! Has blown my mind.. I've been eating really cleanly, most of my calories from fruits & veggies, nuts, greek yogurt - so maybe this explains it. Thanks for the post!

Edited to add: I've found it much easier to be satisfied on 1400 calories with whole foods, also. I don't think it's possible for me to eat enough pasta, chips, candy to truly be satisfied (I swear it's addictive!), but after whole food meals, I just feel good, more peaceful - like, it was really tasty, but I'm not dying for another portion of it. :)

Your doing great!! I agree it is more satisfying to eat whole foods. Foods like pasta, chips, candy is addictive. Check out my blog on MSG. Keep up the good work!
  • Sridenbaugh
    Options
    Disagree. The diet of the second person actually appears more "whole". What's wrong with bacon? A WHOLE egg instead of just the whites? What's in that "non-dairy" creamer?? How is the steak and veggies "non-nutritous"? Edited to add: I don't think the first plan is bad, but the second one isn't non nutritious or horrible in any way (not a fan of K-bars though).

What's "whole" about non-dairy creamer (which is consumed in both diets in your example)? Many contain the following ingreadients:

• Corn syrup solids: Corn syrup is, for the most part, glucose. When it’s dehydrated to about 10 percent water, the resulting granules are basically sugar.

• Vegetable oil solids: Powdered creamer has to get its creamy texture somewhere. Coconut and palm kernel oils are among the heavier food oils and are added – in all their partially hydrogenated glory – for velvety smoothness. Because they add up to less than 0.5 gram of trans fat, the label can claim “zero grams trans fat.”

• Sodium caseinate: Casein is a protein found in cow’s milk, thus making this nondairy product off-limits to vegans. Officially, it’s kosher, but don’t go mixing it with meat. (Note to self: no more ground beef in your coffee.)

• Dipotassium phosphate: Also called phosphoric acid, dipotassium phosphate provides the tang in Coca-Cola. It helps us digest sugars, fats, and proteins, which happen to be nondairy creamer’s top three ingredients. Oh, it’s also a pesticide and a major ingredient in fertilizer.

• Monoglycerides and diglycerides: These single- or double-chain fatty acids end in a glycerol molecule. The glycerol end attaches to water, and the fatty acid end to fats and oils, making these substances gentle mediators between the creamer and the coffee.

• Sodium alumionosilicate: Known to potters as albite feldspar (a ceramic glaze and strengthening agent), sodium alumionosilicate is used in foods as an anticaking agent. Powdered nondairy creamer is flammable, and if it gets too anticaked (dispersed in the air like a cloud), it can explode. Just one spark, and – kaboom!

• Artificial flavors: Since glucose, palm kernel oil, and sodium caseinate don’t really taste like cream, artificial flavors are required. Manufacturers tend to keep exactly what they use a secret. Of course, these flavors can sometimes come in very noncream varieties like hazelnut, amaretto, or mocha.

• Annato: This natural pigment from a tropical plant provides a yellow color, so the creamer looks more, you know, dairy-ish.

So you're saying that its okay that creamer has all these additives so it can taste like creamer? There are 40 different names for msg, look them up and see what it does to your brain. Then look up GMO... its GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISM... your saying its okay to drink genetically modified creamer? Why would all these ingredients need to be in creamer anyway? shouldnt we just be drinking milk and it say Ingredients: Milk. (even these days milk isnt great for you because they inject it with STERIODS and HORMONES)

Educate yourself, watch movies, read articles, do some research.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    In the "healthy" diet you state 4 oz of lean meat and in the "unhealthy" diet you say steak. Last time I checked Filet Mignon was a steak AND a lean meat. And there are other steaks that are lean. If you mean a fatty ribeye say that. Don't generalize.

And I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with your conclusion that eating your "healthy" 1400 calories will make you lose weight at a faster pace than the "unhealthy" 1400 calories. It's **1400** calories. There might be nutritional differences, but not weight loss differences.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

So you're saying that its okay that creamer has all these additives so it can taste like creamer? There are 40 different names for msg, look them up and see what it does to your brain. Then look up GMO... its GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISM... your saying its okay to drink genetically modified creamer? Why would all these ingredients need to be in creamer anyway? shouldnt we just be drinking milk and it say Ingredients: Milk. (even these days milk isnt great for you because they inject it with STERIODS and HORMONES)

I don't think that is what she was saying at all. From how I read it, she was questioning why non-dairy creamer is in the "healthy" "whole" diet when it is not whole and pointed out some of the ingredients.

I am not sure if you meant to be so broad with your diets, but I disagree on thinks like steak or whole eggs being considered poor food choices. And I have educated myself, done research and read articles. I avoid movies when looking for reliable information.
  • servilia
    Options

Umm you're totally arguing against yourself here. YOU are the one who put the creamer in the "whole" food diet in your original post. I was pointing out that NO, it's NOT a *whole*, clean food. It was YOUR idea that this is somehow healthy.
    I'm saying the opposite, that there's nothing whole about it.
  • servilia
    Options
    We of course have a certain amount of nutrients we need per day to regulate our bodies and live a healthy lifestyle.

Lets do a comparison: (both of these diet examples hypothetically carry the same amount of calories etc)

Here we have Jane. She is 5'5 and weighs 150 lbs. She wants to lose 25 lbs. Her calore intake for weight loss is... lets just say 1400 calories.

Her diet: (these calories may not add up to 1400)

Breakfast: Old fashion oatmeal mixed with flax seed, 4 egg whites, and a cup of coffee with non dairy creamer non pasteurized. Water.

Snack: Apple and a yogurt. Water

Lunch: 4 oz of lean meat, steamed veggies, and a sweet potatoe. Water

Snack: Handful of all natural almonds . water

Dinner: Tilapia (or lean meat) with veggies. Water

See, there's the creamer in your "whole" foods day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ::sigh:: making me post from my phone

assuming identical macros and cals weight loss will be the same or minutely different

as for MSG peer reviewed studies that i can read tomorrow? and care to comment on what makes MSG so sinister but glutamates found in foods just fine?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some days I ate like the first person, except I'd never have just egg whites and don't drink coffee, some days like the second because I love my bagels and pizza. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. Little of column a, little of column b.

I lost my weight at exactly the rate I wanted to, and I enjoyed every step of the way. I'd have been miserable and quit a LONG time ago if I felt I was forced to eat "clean."
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic that always leads to debates. Debates about whether all cals are equal, and debates about the value of certain foods.

I don't see that the diet for Jane is so much better - still using "creamer/whitener", already discussed by another poster; and what's with the 4 egg whites? How were they consumed? Shockingly wasteful of the extremely nutritious egg yoke, and were the eggs free range or battery bred?

And the Tilapia - do you know that most tilapia are now farm raised, fed hormones to make them all male, fed corn to speed growth? Even their omega fatty acid ratios are pretty bad in comparison to other fish and cows.

And surely most steak IS lean meat.

What is the point you're really trying to make here?