5 ways to lose weight at wal-mart

Options
I love Wally World, so I thought this was interesting

1. Drive Past The Prime Spot

According to some reports, Wal-Mart parking lots can be three times the size of the stores—as large as 555,000 square feet. Every little bit of exercise counts, and if you park far away from the entrance, you could be sneaking in a serious walk. Parking spots are approximately 9 feet wide, so park 50 spots away, and you could be sneaking in an extra one-fifth of a mile round trip (or an extra 17 calories for a 150-pound woman walking at a 15-minute-mile pace)!

2. Hit The Produce Department First

Though there are plenty of unhealthy options available, bananas are a top-selling item at Wal-Mart. And there’s a good reason for that. Wal-Mart’s produce is notoriously reasonably priced! In fact, a 2005 study found that Wal-Mart offers many identical food items priced about 15% to 25% lower than traditional supermarkets. “A healthy shopping cart is filled with lots of produce in deep green, red, orange, and yellow colors,” says Caplan—and that can include a few of Wal-Mart’s organic options, like lettuce and apples. If your cart is full of produce, there’s less room to stock up on chips, candy, or anything else that may wreck your diet. Be on the lookout for even more local fruits and veggies too! Last fall, Wal-Mart set a goal to double the amount of locally grown produce it sells in US stores by the end of 2015. When it reaches that goal, local produce will account for 9% of all the produce it sells.

3.Shop The Perimeter

Caplan suggests you do what she calls “aerobic shopping.” Wal-Mart Supercenters average 185,000 square feet, and by walking around the perimeter of the store, you sneak in approximately a quarter of a mile. That brings you up to nearly a half-mile, including trips to and from your car. Lap the building twice a visit, and you’re sneaking in close to a ¾-mile walk just by simply getting things off the shelves. (Get the scoop on how to walk off 3xs more weight!) Since stores and layouts vary in size, you can wear a pedometer to get a better estimate of the distance. Boost the burn by putting the heavier items in the cart first so you will be pushing more weight most of the time and power walking between sections to get your heart rate going.

4. Look For “Great Value” Foods

In January, the company promised to reduce sodium and added sugars by 25% and 10%, respectively, and remove “all industrially produced trans fats” from its in-store line of products. “Just because a food is lower in fat, sugar, and carbs does not mean it does not have calories or that it is filled with healthy ingredients,” warns Caplan. Some “Great Value” products include cookies, chips, and ice cream, but steer clear of these. Aim for the affordable frozen and canned veggie options.

The store also carries Amy’s Light & Lean dishes, a Prevention package food award winner and healthy lunch option, as well as Stonyfield Farm organic milk and yogurt, all for cheaper prices than your usual grocery store.

5. Save On Fitness Equipment

Not only can you buy affordably priced treadmills, elliptical machines, and other exercise equipment at Wal-Mart, but many of its products also provide free shipping to the store. All you have to do is pick it up from there! You’ll save around $20 in shipping costs, and a 2008 study found that people with home exercise machines were 73% more likely to start exercising.

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I lose my appetite and burn several calories by interacting with other customers and subsequent vomiting.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I lose my appetite and burn several calories by interacting with other customers and subsequent vomiting.

^this^
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Well aren't you guys special.
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    GREAT ADVISE! But you couldn't pay me to go to Wal-mart for the next 2 months:noway: . I can't take the madness right now. The holidays brings out the worst in ppl :devil: and they all flock to Wal-mart to express it!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Great useful post for Walmart goers.

I used to be a big Walmart Advocate.. but I started to realize that when I got home from there, I'd spend too much money and bought stuff I did not need or want. I am very good with my money, but for some reason I would think I see a deal and buy when I didn't need to.

My boyfriend urged me to stop going there, because he was tired of the atmosphere. Now we go to an expensive grocery store. Because of the prices we only buy what we need. Seriously, we spend half as much than at walmart and we only buy what we truly need. Sometimes we will buy a treat, like a fancy cheese or something pricey at the store. But we don't buy useless "sale" items because they do not exist at this store and we do not get tricked into thinking we need something that we really will never use.

I love Dominicks! The atmosphere is very nice, fancy-like and calming as well!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    GREAT ADVISE! But you couldn't pay me to go to Wal-mart for the next 2 months:noway: . I can't take the madness right now. The holidays brings out the worst in ppl :devil: and they all flock to Wal-mart to express it!

Yeah....
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    Just doing your regular shopping at Wal-Mart will help you lose weight..especially while walking around the mega store from front to back is a long walk in and of itself... LOL :laugh:
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    interesting!
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options

LOL!
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I can tell you have never work for this company
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Just doing your regular shopping at Wal-Mart will help you lose weight..especially while walking around the mega store from front to back is a long walk in and of itself... LOL :laugh:
    That's what the OP said. And I'd rather get my shopping done quickly at a smaller store, which then leaves me time to exercise. Those 17 calories aren't exactly an incentive.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Although the long walk across the Walmart parking lot burns calories, at my local Walmart, the further out you go, the more likely you are to encounter entrepreneurial sorts aggressively selling homemade tamales and panhandlers of the scary variety. I'd prefer to stay within the circuit of the roaming security vehicle if I even go there. The Target down the street doesn't seem to have the same problem.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I guess I am lucky, I live in small mountain town and the walmart here is very quiet and nice. Even for black friday.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I guess I am lucky, I live in small mountain town and the walmart here is very quiet and nice. Even for black friday.
    Lucky? In a small town like that, how many local independent stores has Wal-Mart run out of business?
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    We haven't lost any locals so far, the walmart was built 5 years ago, our walmart was only aloud to be here if they cut checks to local businesses to prove they weren;t running them out.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I only know because I worked for them.
  • estinson79
    Options
    Support your community and shop local.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I shop local anyways, but you get what I am saying, I like to walk around there on a cold snowy mountain day!
  • Journey2Myself
    Options
    the convo + vomiting comment = hahaha