30 day shred plus gym?

Options
Starting the 30 day shred soon but as there is not so much cardio will still be going to the gym 5 days per week.
Should I still do my normal weights routine at the gym or not, as I will be doing weights with Jillian?

Replies

• ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    Starting the 30 day shred soon but as there is not so much cardio will still be going to the gym 5 days per week.
    Should I still do my normal weights routine at the gym or not, as I will be doing weights with Jillian?

Not much weight training in The 30 Day Shred
  • mrrodriguez
    Options
    You'll do some toning work with dumbells, but not much weight work. I am impressed that you are trying to do both. I would too if i had the stamina and time. Look forward to seeing your progress with this ambitious plan!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    You'll do some toning work with dumbells, but not much weight work. I am impressed that you are trying to do both. I would too if i had the stamina and time. Look forward to seeing your progress with this ambitious plan!

I work 10am-8pm monday to friday so planning to do 30ds before work and gym after. On weekends I work at a bowling alley as a party host which is anywhere from 5-10 hours per week but cos it is coming up to the holidays there is usually not many parties in school holidays.

Okay so will do both then! Sweet!
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you can do both, I am impressed! I just started the 30 day shred and I can barely move the next day....lol!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Reading thowe hours I'll be very impressed if you do both! It can be very exhausting doing long hours at work and the to exercise (hard) twice on top of that will be a killer. Try it but do listen to your body.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    OH MAN. This is a hard one Hon!

Personally I tried the 30 day shred at the same time as going to the gym, lifting heavy weights, a session or two of yoga a week and doing some cardio as well. Even though some things in it were SUPER easy for me, the 30 DS killed my shoulders, not sore pain, BAD PAIN. The front shoulder raises were way more volume than my shoulders had ever done at once (even at the piddly 2lb weights I bought for the shred). I had to stop lifting anything and laid in bed with pain killers because my left shoulder had been Super Overworked! I personally would suggest doing the first week of the 30DS with simple cardio exercises but WAIT on the weights. See how your body reacts because even though I consistently used 10lb weights to do those accessory lifts and have been heavy weight lifting for years it really was too much to do all at once!

The moral of the story, I didn't complete 30DS because I wanted to continue my heavy lifting and doing the same things every single day didn't let my body heal for my heavy, important training.
  • LoonyBird720
    LoonyBird720 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I've been doing 30ds + either walking or cycling on a stationary bike for an extra 30 minute workout. IMO I think there's plenty of weights in the 30 ds, of course my arms are out of shape so it's been more than enough for me with 3 lb weights. My husband has been using 5 lb weights and it's been kicking his *kitten* lol. If it's not enough for you, up your weights and don't worry about weights at the gym.
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    I'm starting Level 3 tomorrow, but for the previous levels, I cut back on my strength training from 3 days to 2 days and also did 2 Zumba sessions a week.

If you can, do not stop the weight training completely. I missed a week because of Thanksgiving and I didn't think I'd be effected because of doing 30DS, but I was wrong. Now that I"m used to 30DS, I'll go back to the 3 days. Like you, I do 30DS in the morning and other stuff at night.

I do take Sunday and one other day off from 30DS but continue to do my other activities on those days.

Good Luck!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thanks for asking this one.. i was thinking of still doing some more cardio just to keep my going and in routine so i don't fail! I figured i would do 4 instead of 5 days and then only 20 min before the video instead of my normal 45.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    If you are use to using weights, just use heavier ones with Jillian. I use the 5 pound and even 8 pound weights at times depending on the exercise. When I can I try and get an extra walk in but then again this was my first time completing it. It kicked my butt so I'm doing it again without modifying hopefully and following Natalie instead.

Basically what I'm saying is complete the first day following Natalie and then see if you still feel like you need the extra gym time! Lol
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Hi. I'm on L2D8 of the 30DS. In addition, I've been doing spin class 3-4 times a week and walking daily about 2-3 miles a day for cardio. I cut back on a boot camp class and a weight training class. I'll start those back once I'm done with the shred. I would do a some additioinal cario, but you should listen to your body after a couple of days and see what feels right for you. BTW, the shred is amazing. I've lost lots of inches and can't wait to see the final result. Good luck.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i woke up a bit sore today after my 1st day on the shred. My calves and thighs probably from the lunges and squats. not as bad as i was expecting.... so i may try only 20 min max of my elliptical before i do the shred tonight...