Is this normal????

Options
This is my third week with MFP with great results. I know that they are ONLY because I have been very strict with keeping within my recommended caloric intake and also exercising. I have been doing spinning twice a week - I feel great afterwards but it is definitely a hard work out (the whole reason as to why I do it). And also activities outside playing with my kids I consider as exercise. However, I have been SOOOOOOOO tired and can barely get up in the morning for work - which is very unlike me. Sleeping in on the weekends for me was getting up at 7:30. I didn't especially like getting up so early but my body just naturally was awake and alert. But now its a whole other story! Is this extreme fatigue probably a result of my overweight body adjusting to rigorous exercise? Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, what did you do? HELP! And thanks in advance!

Katie

Replies

• mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    This is my third week with MFP with great results. I know that they are ONLY because I have been very strict with keeping within my recommended caloric intake and also exercising. I have been doing spinning twice a week - I feel great afterwards but it is definitely a hard work out (the whole reason as to why I do it). And also activities outside playing with my kids I consider as exercise. However, I have been SOOOOOOOO tired and can barely get up in the morning for work - which is very unlike me. Sleeping in on the weekends for me was getting up at 7:30. I didn't especially like getting up so early but my body just naturally was awake and alert. But now its a whole other story! Is this extreme fatigue probably a result of my overweight body adjusting to rigorous exercise? Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, what did you do? HELP! And thanks in advance!

Katie
  • Boopbo9
    Boopbo9 Posts: 9
    Options
    Are you getting enough calories? You can hurt yourself just as much by not eating enough. Also make sure you are getting plenty of fruit and vegatables. They will help with energy. I am in the end of my second week and I am feeling more energized and getting up earlier than I ever did. I find that by eating the right foods I can eat more and not be hungry at all. Check out all the frozen stir fries in the freezer section. Try more veggies and fruit and good luck. You can do it.
  • mszSHOGAN
    Options
    I eat all my earned calories from exercise. I also eat lots of fruits and veggies (well more veggies than fruit because of all the sugars in fruits). So I can't understand why I'm not also feeling energized???
  • bethaudrey
    Options
    I might suspect an allergy to a food you're eating more of than previously?
  • shyangel
    shyangel Posts: 2
    Options
    Are you taking vitamins? If you are not it could be a reason why you are tired.
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    How about protein? Maybe you should try a multi vitamin to make sure you are getting all the vitamins and nutrients you need.
  • oubeth1
    oubeth1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have noticed that I am more tired as well. I think it is b/c my body is just getting used to the new lifestyle change and not sure what to do. I mean, I have actually been working out during the week and not just lazing around watching tv. It is hard to get motivated sometimes b/c I am tired but, I tell you, once I start, I don't want to finish till I am done. Then after I feel great. :flowerforyou:
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    Did you drastically change your diet when you started three weeks ago? For example, were you eating a lot of fatty/high carb foods before? Any drastic change in our diet can cause our bodies to struggle a bit while adjusting . . . . even if you are eating really well now, your body may be missing the carbs or fat or sugar or whatever it was used to getting. When I started eating healthy I was sluggish every afternoon for almost 2 months -- then I realized I wasn't eating my post-lunch processed sugar-loaded snacks anymore. I'd give it another few weeks and if it persists, talk to your doctor.

Also, are you taking a multi-vitamin? I started taking One-a-Day for Active Women, and it definitely helps.
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Your body could just be adjusting. It has been working hard...18 pounds in 3 weeks?!? I can understand why you're tired :laugh: I don't know what your lifestyle was like before starting 3 weeks ago, but I do know that internal organs do the most repair work on themselves while your body is resting. If you had a lifestyle that presented a lot of stress to internal organs, such as kidneys and liver, your body may just be working overtime while you sleep to get things back to the way they should be now that they have the energy and nutrition they need. However, your body was designed to let you know what it needs. I would definitely try taking a good mulit-vitamin. I know a lot of people use Centrum and the like, but I really prefer to get mine from a health foods store that specializes in natural and organic food. I would also try to decrease the activity, just a little-not all together, and just until your body catches up. Your body may be telling you that it can't maintain the pace that you have set for it. Lifestyle changes are great, as long as you can live with them! Being so tired that you can't get up for work will definitely cramp your style :smile: Also, the advice to make sure your diet is balanced is great too. Not all calories are created equal. You have the ability to add different categories to your food diary. I added sodium and carbs to mine so that at a glance I can see my ratio of carbs, proteins and fat. Hopefully you can get it figured out so that you are able to keep up your amazing success and get some of your energy back. Good luck!
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    I eat all of my calories and make sure I get a good assortment from the different food groups, and still feel tired sometimes. I have been anemic a part of my life, so I was thinking about have the doctor draw some blood just to make sure that I don't need a supplement again. I would wait a couple more weeks and see if your body adjusts. If you still feel tired I would touch base with your physician.
  • mszSHOGAN
    Options
    Thanks so much guys - YOUR GREAT AND GIVE GREAT ADVICE! I ate fairly healthy pre-MFP but my portions were WAY out of control. I was actually considering taking a multi vitamin. I will try that and give my body more time to adjust to a NORMAL lifestyle. Thanks again! :flowerforyou: