Weight almost always drops after heavy drinking?

Options
So I'm at my last 8-12 lbs (idk where exactly I'm going to stop yet) and have been losing very very slowly. Only about 9 lbs in the past 3 months.
I am in college and drink alcohol on the weekends, so most fridays and saturdays I go over my calories by a considerable amount

and usually saturday or sunday morning after pretty extreme drinking, I weigh in a pound or more less than what I had been during the week! And I'll stay at that weight for a couple weeks until I drink a lot again..
I don't drink that heavily most weekends though
and I don't really gain the weight back.. it just kind of stays there for a while

any thoughts? I know it dehydrates me so it could be water weight.. but it stays like that and doesn't usually go back up so some of it has to be actual fat loss right?

Replies

• madisonsteelex
    Options
    Oh and I thought I should add that I never throw up when I drink
  • darthmolly
    darthmolly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's the opposite for me. If I drink alcohol, like at all, I weigh five more pounds on the scale. Takes me weeks to loose it to. I'm sure its the alcohol because I weigh myself every week, and its only when alcohol is introduced that I see a fluctuation (and I was not drinking at the same time each month either, so I know it was not biorhythm in disguise).
  • darthmolly
    darthmolly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's the opposite for me. If I drink alcohol, like at all, I weigh five more pounds on the scale. Takes me weeks to loose it to. I'm sure its the alcohol because I weigh myself every week, and its only when alcohol is introduced that I see a fluctuation (and I was not drinking at the same time each month either, so I know it was not biorhythm in disguise).
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You have no water weight. Alcohol usually absorbs all the water you have in you.
  • aprilkida
    aprilkida Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Dehydration can definitely be a factor. I always weigh less after drinking but for me it ends up showing back up 2 or 3 days later. I can't imagine that you would lose fat from drinking, unless it makes you eat less for a couple days. Interesting thought though.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    There was something about this yesterday posted in one of the boards. It had to do with carb cycling, and how alcohol binging can be considered a carb cycle.

Has to do with if your carb counting, long time. Then you suddenly up your carbs a day or 3. Then you lose weight due to shocking your body to release the water stored. Something with that. It's not necessarily the alcohol directly as it is the carbs.

If it wasn't the beer, it would just be something else. You usually lose weight in chunks.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    I know dehydration could have been a factor but the weight doesn't usually show back up which is weird
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    its probably the calorie spike from the alcohol.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    There was something about this yesterday posted in one of the boards. It had to do with carb cycling, and how alcohol binging can be considered a carb cycle.

Has to do with if your carb counting, long time. Then you suddenly up your carbs a day or 3. Then you lose weight due to shocking your body to release the water stored. Something with that. It's not necessarily the alcohol directly as it is the carbs.

If it wasn't the beer, it would just be something else. You usually lose weight in chunks.

I do usually lose weight in chunks! I used to think it was weird because some people lose it consistantly like a half pound every three days but I'll be the same for weeks then all of a sudden drop 2 lbs
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I always lose a big chunk after a night out drinking and it does not come back. I am a low carber that zigzags
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    dehydration?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I do usually lose weight in chunks! I used to think it was weird because some people lose it consistantly like a half pound every three days but I'll be the same for weeks then all of a sudden drop 2 lbs

this is so me!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Oh and I thought I should add that I never throw up when I drink
    ^^ Maybe you don't remember ?? jk ^^

Effects of excesses of alcohol are well documented. It, like other 'substances' including Caffeine have different effects on different bodies. Ask Dr Google, and for your body type, you may be able to explain other side-effects or risks you are running.

End lecture. For second opinion ask your GP.

Oh and well done on your progress :o)
  • mrrodriguez
    Options
    I have noticed this effect as well. I am much older, and drink only two times per week. Champagne mostly. The day after I drink I lose one or two lbs. I think it comes back though in a few days. I think I will stop for a while and see if what happens I lost 25 lbs without stopping, but can't seem to go past that point. Interesting effect. I think it has to do with water weight. Try drinking a ton of water and see if you get the same effect.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    As someone who once over indulged with alcohol , the answer to the loss of weight is ......loss of brain cells lol.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    As someone who once over indulged with alcohol , the answer to the loss of weight is ......loss of brain cells lol.

DOUBLE POSTING is a symptom !
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your body recognizes it as a twisted zigzag calorie method?

You look great, btw!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You get dehydrated from the alcohol. So you weigh less. I normally lose 2-3 lbs after a night of drinking.
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    ...I wish

:sad:
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    Perhaps your body recognizes it as a twisted zigzag calorie method?

You look great, btw!

thank you!