Has anyone else had a hard time staying warm?

Options
2»

Replies

• IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You should make sure your thyroid and iron are normal, but it's pretty normal to be feeling colder. You are less insulated, you have a higher surface area to volume ration (more area to lose heat from), and that plateau everyone deals with means you are generating less heat by lowering your metabolism. If you can't keep warm from increasing activity, dress warmer. Keep your head warm, as that is where a lot of heat is lost. Keep your legs warm to avoid cold feet, as the blood traveling to your feet is cooled a whole lot on the way down if your legs are even a little cool.

I've always been cold blooded despite normal iron and thyroid. I wear sweats as pajamas and use two quilts on the bed while my husband sleeps in his shorts.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It's been almost five years since I lost the weight, and I'm still cold ALL the time. Rarely run my AC in the summer, and can't stay warm in the winters. I frequently wear long johns, and live by layering.
    SO....yes, I'd say this is related to weight loss. I don't remember being cold like this before.
    Kaye
  • Imthempres
    Imthempres Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I live in Southern California and I am freezing lately. I go walking in gloves, a hoodie, and double socks. Everyone along my route comments on my being "bundled up". I have to carry a sweater everywhere i go. It won't deter me from my weight loss journey, though.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I've had the same experience of being extra cold since I lost weight. Now I wear two silk long sleeve undershirts and long johns and wool socks along with turtlenecks and sweaters. I love being thin :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I walk my dogs for an hour and half every morning before sunrise in 30 something temperatures and wear a ski jacket, wool scarf, two wool hats, a balaclava, warm gloves and "hotties" hand warmers in my pockets

:bigsmile: yes, I've had a medical check-up and everything is fine.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i'm always cold!
  • Kitof
    Kitof Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 pounds since last summer and also felt the needs to add more layers. I actually like that a lot, it give me opportunities to wear these comfy turtlenecks, sweaters and hoodies and reminds me that this insulation layer is gone. In order to keep losing weight, I am thinking it is better to slightly over dress to make it easier on the body. I suspect that staying on the cool side would initially consume more calories but also that the body will respond by slowing down the metabolism to conserve energy and fight weight loss. What do you guys think?