New to eating so much fiber......gas question

Options
:blushing:

I am having an embarrassing amount of gas and I wonder if it is from eating so much fiber? If so, once my body gets used to the fiber intake will the gas calm down a bit? I also have some serious heart burn and wonder if it is the same thing? I just don't want it to effect my every day life. I spend a lot of time in strangers homes as a professional and can not imagine having the gas like I have had. I can see it also effecting my sex life too. :wink:

Any feedback is appreciated!

Replies

• Malani2010
    Options
    It's possible!!! Fiber is what keeps your digestive tract in order. I get a lot when I eat broccoli to much. lol Maybe try and cut down on the fiber or try and eat your allotted amount. I'm not sure!!! My hubby is just used to it by now . lol
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is. You will probably get used to it.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    your body is just adjusting to the change. Just keep going as you are. remember to make sure you up your water with all the fiber or it can get you "stuck" so drink extra extra water. And in a few days you should be normal and the gas will go away but you will feel better. And things will move smoothly for you from there on out
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes, increased fiber is probably the issue. It may also cause constipation. I'm taking Senna S in geriatric doses despite 10-12 glasses of water every day. LOL
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Wind

Where're you be
    Let you wind go free
    In church or Chapel
    Let it rattle.

Arthur Jeffrey Hodgkinson (1915-1986)

I know someone who uses a product called Beano, can you get that in your area of the world?
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try to use the fibers naturally used in the food source - i.e. legumes, veggies, sprinkle flax seeds on salad that will prevent some of the constipation issues.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Gas comes from either eating food that isn't digestible (the bacteria in the colon digest it and produce the gas; this is why beans cause gas) or from swallowing air.

If you are new to fiber, the bacteria in your colon will gradually change balance to increase the variety that can metabolize it. There will be more of the ones that don't make gas, so the problem will be less dramatic.

Air swallowing can be due to anxiety, or it can be due to carbonated beverages, chewing gum, smoking, bicarbonate antacids, or gulping food.

Belching is a skill you can learn to reduce the gas at the stomach stage. You have to start by swallowing, then push the air back up as the swallow hits your stomach.

You can reduce the effect of the other kind of gas by spending a little more time in the bathroom every time you go. Eventually your body gets the idea and will start passing gas while you're in there, so there's less of an issue afterward.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Generally, fiber doesn't cause digestive issues until you get around 40 to 50 g in a day. Your body could be sensitive to fiber, but as others have said then you will adjust to it. A safe range for a high fiber diet is 30 to 40 g in a day.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yeppers, if your digestive tract isn't used to so much fiber, it will produce gas because you don't have enough of the 'good' bacteria and appropriate enzymes to digest it easily yet. Your body adapts over time to dietary changes, but in the meantime, I would suggest getting a good quality probiotic supplement to help you build up the good bacteria faster.

Since your profession will be negatively impacted if things stay as they are, I would suggest that in the interim, Gas-X does a good job. Bean-o is good too, but you have to take it with the food, while Gas-X can resolve issues that are already passing through your gastro-intestinal system.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I went through a horrible phase of this. It will settle down after a two or three months. I know that sounds like a long time. And, it is. But the benefit to your body is huge. So don't give up. Just keep telling yourself this, like the gas, will pass.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    The gas happens with the upped fiber intake. If I've been slacking on my fiber then up it one day, eeeek. It normally goes away though. Lol
  • Demwitted
    Options
    It might be the food you are getting the fiber from. Raw carrots (which I love) do the same for me if I eat too many (gas and heartburn). I recently discovered Welch's grape juice enriched with fiber. So far so good with it, but I do not drink more than 2 cups a day b/c of the sugar and calories.
  • Remarkable1
    Remarkable1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and saw that you've been eating Fiber One brand bread for breakfast.. that may just be the culprit right there! I refuse to eat any Fiber One products because of the horrible bloating they'd caused me. After some research, I found that it is caused by the chicory root extract. I tried to find the ingredients for the bread and couldn't, so you should check to see if it's in there. If not, good!! But beware.. stay away from the Fiber One granola bars, etc!!!!!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you are eating dried beans a heavy pinch of powdered ginger in the soaking water goes a long way in taking the gassiness from them. Ginger tea also helps with bloating. I've found adding chia seeds to oatmeal and sauces gives me a lot of fibre without the gas. If its a problem try cutting back for now and then adding 5 grams at a time so your body adjusts to it gradually.
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan since August and have had to deal with some "windy days". Someone on the vegan board suggested that I drink more water, and that certainly does help. There seem to be certain foods that set me off too, but besides beans I haven't figured out what they are yet. I'm a terrible water drinker some days and those around me pay!!
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What a shame you don't have any male children yet. They would find it hilarious and probably join in. Amazing how boys seem to be able to fart at will.

Seriously, it will probably settle down fairly soon. If it doesn't try some activated charcoal tabs from the pharmacy, if nothing else, that will deal with any embarrasing smells.
  • screwtop_gangsta
    Options
    There are plugs for that...
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing for a while. Now it hardly ever happens! Sadly, I was unable to learn to toot on demand. I wanted to just so I could answer my husband when he spoke!
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    It will settle down ...water helps too ... but with your professional situation -- buy some beano just in case!!
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would try avoiding the Fiber One products for awhile and see if your situation improves. My coworkers call the Fiber one bars "fart bars" since they all got a lot gas from eating them!:blushing: