New twist to salad!!

Options
I'm a vegetarian and a calorie counting nut!! I eat salads for dinner almost every single night and need some new ideas, toppings, dressing recipes, spices, etc all suggestions are welcome!:) and greatly appreciated! Low cal is best!!! Salads are evil little devils when you start piling on the extras lol

Replies

• LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    I'm loving Peri Peri sauce right now!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I love my bbq ranch salad. I add corn, black beans, tortillas strips, red bellpepper, and for hte dressing, mix 1/2 hidden valley lite dressing and 1/2 sweet baby rays honey bbq sauce. So yummy! I also add chicken but since your vegetarian you can skip that!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    (Vegetarian) Things I put in my salads (I always use spinach as my greens):

Cold/uncooked:
    Snap Pea Crisps
    Sliced almonds
    Crumbled goat cheese w/dried fruit (e.g rolled in cranberries or blueberries)
    Jicama
    Snow peas
    Sunflower seeds
    Pepitas
    Bell Peppers
    Carrots
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    String cheese, pulled into strings
    Hard boiled egg

Hot/Cooked:
    Tofu diced small and cooked with yellow onion, mushroom and various spices
    Eggplant diced small and cooked the same way
    Butternut squash diced small and also cooked the same way

Spices I commonly cook with:
    Curry
    Cumin
    Cayenne
    Paprika
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Bacon salt (it's vegetarian)
    Crushed red pepper
    Chili powder
    Salt Free Garlic and Herb mix
    Salt free spicy southwest mix
    Salt free chipotle mix

I don't ever use dressings, so I can't offer anything there.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I love my bbq ranch salad. I add corn, black beans, tortillas strips, red bellpepper, and for hte dressing, mix 1/2 hidden valley lite dressing and 1/2 sweet baby rays honey bbq sauce. So yummy! I also add chicken but since your vegetarian you can skip that!

i meant hidden valley lite RANCH dressing. forgot the ranch part sorry lol
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    This post is making me hungry! :laugh:
  • believeinmagic
    Options
    I need to write some of these down, these are good ideas haha :)
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Have you tried things that aren't salad?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Fruit.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    i throw whatever in

I add fruit to garden salads (apples, pears, berries, pineapple, grapes etc), I never use dressing but i will use herbs or spices. I'll add cooked ingredients to a cold salad, I'm not a vegetarian so this includes diced meat/bacon but I will also cook vegies (pumpkin and potato usually) with seasonings just for something different.

Salad ideas are limitless really and you dont have to stick to any conventions either. Just grab what you feel like eating and toss it together. How you prepare food can change the taste too (swap raw for cooked every now and then) so thats an easy way to mix it up a little too.
  • crazy4sio
    crazy4sio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually add beets to my salad.. I use to love them pickled, but lately just having normal is fine. I also like peach mango salsa for dressing
    btw I love those pea crisps!
  • lilmomma3
    lilmomma3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hmm what is that? Sounds interesting!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE candied/spiced walnuts and pecans in salads right now! Very winter-esque in my family.
  • lilmomma3
    lilmomma3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ALL Of these ideas ROCK! I can't wait to go shopping! Peach mango salsa is the best- and the BBQ ranch dressing sounds great too!! I also love peas!!! And tofu!! Anyone have any good recipes for tofu by itself?