Does anyone else prefer to Exercise alone?

Options
I realized something.

I prefer to hike alone.
I prefer to dance alone (Michael Jackson Experience)

I just like to clear my head. I mean I don't mind that my husband wants to join me once in a while, or friends want to join me sometimes. But ultimately I enjoy my exercise when I am alone.

Anyone else?

Ronney

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I love exercising alone.
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I take exercise as my alone time. It's really nice to just think without any interruptions. All day I'm surrounded by people and can barely go to the bathroom without someone talking to me WHILE i'm peeing!! It's crazy! But I know that I can come home and go for a nice long run, all by myself, and not have to talk to anyone and just think about whatever I feel like thinking about. SOOO nice!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Me too, especially something like hiking. When I clumsy my way through Tai Chi, I also don't want anyone around to see me do it, but mostly I don't want anyone around because it breaks my mood and concentration.

I'm not a people person anyway, but even if I were, social people need time alone, too!
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    me me, i love my long distance solo runs, solo gym workouts etc :-) me against the world and putting it all to rights in my head at the same time :-)
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    Me!! I use it as my "me time"!! I usually workout before everyone gets up in the morning so it allows me to relax and focus on me.
  • willaful
    willaful Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I enjoy some classes for a change, but mostly yes. I read on the elliptical, it makes it a break instead of a chore.
  • dogsetmoi
    Options
    Definitely. I feel more relaxed, and at the same time, more willing to push myself. I also go for one solo-hike a week, and it is one of my favorite treats.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't have a regular exercise partner but I'm usually at a gym so while not technically alone I hardly ever exercise with anyone and I'm fine with that. That being said, the last time I was out of town visiting my best friend we hiked 3-5 miles every morning I was there and it was an immensely enjoyable experience. I guess you could say I'm versatile when it comes to the exercise thing. I will admit that I absolutely don't enjoy exercising with someone that is at a vastly different fitness level than I am.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My "intentional" exercise is almost always alone. I prefer it that way. When exercising, I find it too simple to fall into an "easiest" way of doing something. If I am with someone else, my concentration is off, making it more likely that I'll fall into that easiest way. I need to push myself constantly during my workout, so exercising alone is better.

"Alone" is a relative thing. I can be in a gym full of people, but if I have my headphones on jamming to my favorite music, then I'm alone.

My "unintentional" exercise can be with anybody. That's the stuff that I do for another reason, but qualifies as exercise anyway...things like pleasure hiking, going for a walk with my daughter, the dancing I did at a party last night.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I like to block out the world - headphones on, phone left in the locker room or turned off - and just enjoy the time to focus on me and the workout. I can push myself harder if I don't have to worry about socializing or whether the other person can keep up with me, or vice versa.
  • SherriH69
    Options
    I prefer to exercise alone simply because I'm not happy with my body yet. Maybe when I'm a little less fat and a little more toned I will consider joining a class.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Yep!!! Sometimes I enjoy company, but only if it's light exercise or if it's a time I'm not trying to reach a goal. I hate it if others slow me down, and my exercise is my ME time!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    gettin into spin class recently really upped my cardio workout intensity...big time...the other spinners make a huge difference
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! I can't focus on the burn and on a companion at the same time!
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I hate exercising with other people.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have anyone to workout with, I work out alone.. But I like to have someone to push me for that purpose only such as my brothers who are workout junkies..more like a trainer on the side... Other than that, I don't mind working out by myself
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I thought I prefered to work out alone, but I feel like if I'm with a buddy, I'm less likely to quit early or stop short of my goals.
  • SeattleLove
    Options
    i prefer working out alone because that way I don't get distracted by conversation and can focus on getting my exercises done properly. Also, I really dislike it when people watch me work out...
  • spiritwolf13
    spiritwolf13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I work out with work out dvds mostly Insanity and Turbo Fire. I like the idea of working out at home and the idea I do not have to drive to the gym or pay money for a gym. I do like to go for long walks in the nice weather of course and sometimes I do this by myself (or with dog) and sometimes with friend or sister. Would love to be able to afford a personal trainer, but I feel like I hjave 1 witha good ole workout dvd.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I definitely do. It's one of the reasons why I don't like the gym. It's also one of the only times during the day I get to be by myself, so I love it.