OFFICE LUNCHES WITH FOOD BROUGHT IN

Options
I have a dilemma.... Every Friday my boss brings lunch in for everyone in my office. 90% of the time it's a family style meal that is chosen for me, rather than allowing me to have input for what I'm eating. I do not know what's on the menu until my boss calls it in that morning. He doesn't have a plan, we seem to have a handful of restaurants that we order from and he orders based on what's been had recently.
My biggest issue is that I feel obligated to eat that meal, even when it's not at all on my meal plan. Some days it's okay, some day it's not at all okay. Should I bring my lunch that day just in case, or is that rude?
I'd love to hear comments and/or suggestions on how you would handle this.
Wendy :)

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think how rude it is depends on who pays for the food and whether or not you have a chance to say you've brought your own lunch before the food is ordered...

I often still take my own lunch when we have reps bring lunch in - I usually just say (actually fairly honestly) that my tummy is a bit sensitive so I would rather eat my own food when I still have to work the rest of the day.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    What a nice boss! But maybe you could discuss your concerns with him.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    This isn't a rude/not rude issue. On more than one occassion I have gone hungry because the catered meal was inedible to me. I'm not going to eat badly or eat food that makes me sick because it has been "generously" catered.

Take your own food. Let your boss know that even though you super appreciate the thought, you're on a restricted meal plan and wanted to thank him/her but also explain why you won't be eating the meal. Then enjoy time with your coworkers while eating your own lunch. I doubt your boss will be upset...in fact, he/she may ask what sorts of meals you can eat and offer to change up the menus.

For many folks, being overweight has to do psychological issues such as putting the needs or desires of others above what is best for us. Time to care more about you here.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I had a boss who used to always bring donuts and rolls for our weekly meetings. I never took any and he felt bad because everyone was eating in front of me. I told him not to sweat it, but I don't care much for donuts. He asked what I would rather have. I told him a piece of fruit would be nice. The next meeting in addition to the donuts, he brought a couple of apples, oranges and bananas so I could eat something too.

As I normally went to the restroom to wash up before heading into the meeting, all the fruit was gone before I got in the room. The men grabbed the fruit and the donuts.

It was a nice gesture, but not really a big deal. I always eat a good breakfast before work so I wasn't as starved as the men were.

If you would feel better bringing your own, then do it. Or you could bring a little something just in case you can't eat what is being served. That way you're ready for either. Perhaps you could keep something at your desk all the time, just in case, like protein bars or something that won't spoil in your desk.
  • prencesskl
    Options
    I think you have two options and can decide what works best for you:

1. Try to eat just a little plate of food, making the best choices and keeping portions in mind, then just work out a little harder

or

2. Explain to him that you are really trying to eat healthy, and next time he orders would he mind including a healthy option for you?

You can alway skip it, but if you feel like that would be rude, I think those two are the best options for you : )
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude to opt out. I've worked in situations where many people had dietary restrictions (gluten-free, lactose intolerant, nut allergies, diabetic, etc.) Just tell them you have to watch what you eat, and leave it alone.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You can always bring a food scale and calculate the calories to limit what you're eating.

There's nothing like a food scale to intimidate people into not pushing food on you.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think I would just eat a moderate portion of whatever lunch was provided. I think there is room in a healthy diet (while still losing weight) for all kinds of food! Being able to eat at restaurants, share meals with friends/family/co-workers, to enjoy celebrations, etc is all part of succeeding in the long term.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I think I would just eat a moderate portion of whatever lunch was provided. I think there is room in a healthy diet (while still losing weight) for all kinds of food! Being able to eat at restaurats, share meals with friends/family/co-workers, to enjoy celebrations, etc is all part of succeeding in the long term.

Well said.

I think you should eat it in moderation, maybe bring some healthy snacks or a side salad from home to substitue one of the other things on the menu with? that way you're still eating what they bring but you can incorporate some of your own, too and help you stay on track. or maybe you can just suggest to your boss what he/she should get that week :)
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing to do is talk to your boss about it. Lots of people have restrictions with diet. I have the same dilemma at my church lately which has started doing meals and I am on a low- carbohydrate diet since I am pre-diabetic. I don't want to be eating macaroni cheese or some kind of home cooked pasta with tons of fat & carbs in it ! In fact I can't eat it without feeling ill.

The more people talk about what they can and can't have food wise the more understanding we become of others.

It's not easy to talk about but better to say something as soon as you can rather than wait around and suffer for it. Bosses tend to appreciate honesty, and it shows that if you are open to talk about this that you are a good employee/ negotiator :smile: SO it could actually work in your favour :wink:
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I agree this is well said. At our church we belong to a Home Friendship Group and each of us takes turns hosting. I once had different people in the same HFG that one was allergic to dairy, one was allergic to nuts, another was gluten free and a diabetic. You can't expect the boss to keep everyone's dietary needs in mind when ordering lunch for everyone. I would take a salad, or take a veggie tray or other healthy option to share. Take only a small portion of the catered food or inconspicously as possible don't serve yourself any, all the while thanking your boss for his generosity.
  • tcklmetoo
    tcklmetoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots and lots of great ideas and "food for thought". I think talking to my boss ahead of time to explain my dietary needs and that it's okay for him to continue ordering what he wants and that I'll bring my own lunch every Friday. That way his feelings aren't hurt, nor are mine..... all will be good :).