What kind of runner am I?

Options
I know you can go and get your 'gait' tested and foot analyzed and that was certainly the direction I was headed in and knew I was going to spend upwards of $100+
I cannot due that now due to some financial constraints, but need new running shoes badly.
The outside of my heels are completely worn down....an half inch to inch from the other side. I know that means I am a heel striker, but I cannot figure out what kind of shoes I need to buy. Long story short, I am looking for others who either know more than me:) I need to be able to go out and spend $50 or less!! Quickly!
Any other heel strikers out there or experts??

Thanks Guys!

Replies

• RunningRachel2012
    Options
    This may not be of much help for you in the US, but in the UK you can get your gait measured for free in good running shops, and then just say that you will think about the shoes and come back :wink:

I'm not an expert unfortunately, all I know is that I have a neutral gait which requires extra support on the arch of my foot.

Good luck in finding your perfect pair! :flowerforyou:
  • nixon76k
    Options
    This is a great website to find the right shoe for you..

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor
  • delta90017
    Options
    In the Los Angeles area too the good running stores (not general fitnes stores) will measure and examine your gait on treadmills and sell you the right shoe. Under $50, I'm not sure for new shoes.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You definitely need a stability shoe because you pronate. Also something with a little thicker cushioning on the bottom since you are a heel striker. Definitely try on different shoes and jog a little around the store to see how they feel.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Try joesnewbalanceoutlet.com Their shoes are cheaper. Take the time to read about the shoe before you order.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    You can get your gait analysis completed for free in the US too. Also, just go into a shoe store, like New Balance get them talking to you about what shoe you need. They are understanding, if you are unable to buy shoes directly from them. Today i went into a New Balance store and they had a whole table full of 50% off shoes that were on clearance!

I didn't buy the clearance shoe though because they are not returnable.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Go in to a running shop and tell them you're interested in running shoes - they'll analyze you with no pressure.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    If it is the outside of your heels that are worn, you are a supinator, not a pronator (as someone above said). Pronating means your feet roll inward. Most everyone heel strikes unless you can train yourself to land on your midfoot--it's not a huge deal. The runner's world website mentioned is good and will probably get you to a shoe that will work for you. I have gone to running stores and gotten tons of help, and I have gone to running stores and gotten shoes that made my feet bleed for any run over 8 miles. The fact is, you still have to know something because it all comes down to "So, how does that feel?" If you don't know, they can't really tell you, and all shoes feel good when you first put them on. Finally, it probably won't make or break you. Thousands upon thousands of people are out there wearing the wrong shoes because they were on sale or a cute color or because they didn't know any better, and unless you are Husain Bolt it's probably not going to bring you down. I trained for and ran two marathons in Asics Kayanos thinking they were cushioning shoes, when in reality they were stability shoes. The bigger your pathology, the more important it is to get good shoes, probably, but if your strike is fairly normal, it's really not that big of a deal. One last suggestion: if you do go to a running store, bring your old shoes. They will be able to tell some things about your strike from your wear pattern. But unless there is a great sale going on, it is unlikely you will find shoes for $50 or less. Good luck!
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I went to a place called "Runners" & they did it for free. I did end up buying shoes there because I overpronate & I haven't had any foot or shin problems since. I think most stores that deal in running shoes will do it for free because they want you to buy your shoes there. If not, go somewhere else.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    What great advice and I am excited to know I am a supinator now! What I hope to do is go to see what I can find on 'clearance' and then study the brand and style online. I know its a stab in the dark, but I have done pretty well with my Saucony's I bought on sale for $40!

Thanks so much for all of your advice and responses:)