Can I eat whatever I want as long as I stay under my calorie

Options
Can I eat whatever I want and still lose weight as long as I stay under my calorie goal? (I want to eat about 1,200 - 1,300 calories daily.)

Replies

• sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    yeah.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Pretty much. It's wise to put a little strategy to it, though. If you put good things in your mouth, you get to eat a lot more of them to get to 1200-1300 calories. If you put junk in your mouth, you don't get to eat much, and you'll be hungrier with less energy.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    almost anything....no stray cats or dogs for example
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Can I eat whatever I want and still lose weight as long as I stay under my calorie goal? (I want to eat about 1,200 - 1,300 calories daily.)

Yes, but depending on what "whatever you want" is, you might have other issues.

From a scale-weight standpoint though, yes.
  • stephreed11
    stephreed11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What ^ they said :)
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes, to some extent. However, the greatest gains made are from eating natural foods and eliminating processed foods completely. It took me awhile to figure this out!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    pretty much. just keep in mind that 1300 calories of fruits/veggies/healthy choices will fill you up and keep you feeling better than 1300 calories of fast food. if you want pizza or burgers sometime, thats fine.. i dont think id make it an every day thing though
    almost anything....no stray cats or dogs for example
    there go my dinner plans :/
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Yes, to some extent. However, the greatest gains made are from eating natural foods and eliminating processed foods completely. It took me awhile to figure this out!

exactly... you can lose just staying under goal however the quality of foods you eat will affect how you feel, energy levels etc
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Yup! But you may notice if you eat a little healthier and make better choices that you won't get as hungry or tired as often. The "bad" food can cause cravings for more food, which is why it's harder to stay under 1300 calories when you eat "whatever you want".
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yes. By virtue of registering with this web site, you have asserted that your are at least 18 years of age. Which if you are in the United States, you are legally an adult. No one can compel you to eat a particular food.

So what ever foods are able to legally obtain, feel free to eat.

As far as your health goes, the quality of your food does have an impact on your health and performance. Just as the quality of the petrol you put in your vehicle has an impact on how it performs.
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It won't make you healthy if its the wrong kinds of foods/ or just junk, and there are certain diseases that happen due to not enough fibre especially not consuming enough fresh fruits and vegetables. Colon cancer is one of them, heart disease, and diabetes.

but variety is always good with nutrition just not junk food :wink:

I believe in treats every so often though ! :smile: otherwise its too difficult !

best of luck :smile: :glasses:
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    This is a loaded question that will get you a wide variety of responses. Technically, yes, you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your limit. But depending on what you eat, it may not be the HEALTHIEST thing you can do. If you eat only 1200 calories worth of candy bars a day, yes, you will lose weight, but it's not healthy because it's empty calories. I would suggest just making small changes toward healthier eating. For example, maybe the first week, you just cut out soda. The next week, maybe focus on eating healthier things for breakfast. The next week, start packing a healthy lunch. And so on... If you try to make a huge, drastic change at once, you may not succeed. But small changes here and there can make a world of difference. You want this to be a lifestyle change, not a diet.

You mention that you plan to only eat 1200-1300 calories. Are you going to exercise? If so, you should eat back your exercise calories. I am 5'4" and started at 210 pounds. I started eating 1200 plus any exercise calories. I was losing, but slowly. Now, I eat 1400 plus exercise calories, and I'm losing at a slightly quicker pace (keep in mind, you want to lose no more than about 2 pounds a week). Some days I eat more than others, too. If your body does not get enough fuel, it will conserve fat instead of shed it. You have to convince your body that you're going to feed it sufficient fuel every day so that it will let go of the fat stores.

Good luck! Feel free to look at my diary if you want to. Nov. 23-27 is not so good; I had gallbladder surgery on the 23rd and didn't log as consistently those few days. Otherwise, though, you might find it helpful.
  • MandaCakez
    MandaCakez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I ate whatever I want for the past 2 months n lost 15lbs but now Im finding it harder to shed the last 10lbs so im limiting how much junk i eat
  • Lizchan
    Lizchan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Okay! :)
    Thank you all sooo much for your answers.

I asked because it is VERY HARD to get in proper food in this crappy place I live in.
    I live with my family right now. It's crappy because they only have bad foods here.
    Like TV dinners, they bring fast food home for most meals, they don't even have canned foods.
    Oh..and they have A LOT of ramen noodles. There ARE some things like protein shakes, but I don't know if they will be good.
    I will drink the protein shakes anyway, though. 'cus I will get used to them.

I don't really eat out of boredom or anything. I have trouble making myself eat usually... so this diet shouldn't be that hard for me, I guess.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I asked because it is VERY HARD to get in proper food in this crappy place I live in.
    I live with my family right now. It's crappy because they only have bad foods here.
    Like TV dinners, they bring fast food home for most meals, they don't even have canned foods.
    Oh..and they have A LOT of ramen noodles. There ARE some things like protein shakes, but I don't know if they will be good.

That being the case, it sounds like it is time to volunteer to go shopping with them. Make suggestions to have some reasonable modifications to the menus. Then volunteer to do some of the cooking. Don't expect them to buy into a wholesale change. But you may steer things in a better direction.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Okay! :)
    Thank you all sooo much for your answers.

I don't really eat out of boredom or anything. I have trouble making myself eat usually... so this diet shouldn't be that hard for me, I guess.

I ran into the same problem when I moved back in to my mom's pad this last year so I started stopping at the local grocery store a couple times a week and getting my own fresh foods. It can be a pain making separate meals sometimes but if you're in a situation where they have no inclination to change their habits, then just worry about yourself for now. They may come around when they see/smell some of the good stuff you make :flowerforyou:
  • Lizchan
    Lizchan Posts: 60 Member
    Options

That being the case, it sounds like it is time to volunteer to go shopping with them. Make suggestions to have some reasonable modifications to the menus. Then volunteer to do some of the cooking. Don't expect them to buy into a wholesale change. But you may steer things in a better direction.

Oh, trust me... I try. It's a little tiring when they yell no way, don't fill our fridge up with crap we don't eat. s:
    I guess they enjoy being unhealthy.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Oh, trust me... I try. It's a little tiring when they yell no way, don't fill our fridge up with crap we don't eat. s:

This is exactly why I suggested going to the market a couple times a week like I do, then you just get what you need for a couple of days and don't take up a ton of space in the fridge.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options

This is exactly why I suggested going to the market a couple times a week like I do, then you just get what you need for a couple of days and don't take up a ton of space in the fridge.

If you have to, go on craigslist or freecycle and see if you can find a free or cheap mini-fridge. Put it in your room and buy your own foods. Then they can't say you're taking up space in their fridge!

Good luck to you. I know it's hard when you have someone sabotaging you at every turn. I was married to someone who would bring me milkshakes when he knew I was dieting, and if I said "No, thank you, I can't eat that", he'd get mad at me and not speak to me for 3 days. So I usually ate it just to keep the peace. Now that he's out of my life and it's just me and my kids, I've lost 26 pounds in just over two months!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    ...The "bad" food can cause cravings for more food...

It is funny how I manage to keep forgetting this little tidbit. :/

You're getting great responses on this thread. :)