Job interview tomorrow. Super nervous.

Options
woou
woou Posts: 668 Member
Alright guys. I need support and advice. I sent in my resume just 2 days ago and already got a phone call for an interview, and I'm nervous. I've always gotten jobs without going through the whole interview process. I'm practicing through some Q&As. Anything else I can do to prep, so I'm not a deer in the headlights during the interview?

ETA: I don't even have days to prep. They want to see me as soon as possible.

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Just be confident in your responses. If they ask you a question and you don't know the answer... say that you don't know. The worst thing you can do is pretend to be someone that you're not - if they don't appreciate you for who you are, you don't want to work for them.

I have this thing where I go extremely red when embarrassed or flustered - there's nothing I can do about it. I usually start an interview with 'I'm really sorry but I go really red when I'm nervous. It's going to happen (and then I point to my face and say - like it is now) and there's nothing that will calm it down. Let's not draw attention to it and it will go away on it's own'

It's awkward, but I've acknowledged it before they can point it out and embarrass me further.
  • woou
    Options
    Just be confident in your responses. If they ask you a question and you don't know the answer... say that you don't know. The worst thing you can do is pretend to be someone that you're not - if they don't appreciate you for who you are, you don't want to work for them.

Wow. I can just say, "I don't know"? Anyone else ever just say that in an interview? I've gone to some job prep courses in my area, but no one's ever mentioned that. One teacher told me that to be honest about never being in the type of situation they ask about and to say, "if I were in that situation, I would..." instead.
    I have this thing where I go extremely red when embarrassed or flustered - there's nothing I can do about it. I usually start an interview with 'I'm really sorry but I go really red when I'm nervous. It's going to happen (and then I point to my face and say - like it is now) and there's nothing that will calm it down. Let's not draw attention to it and it will go away on it's own'

I think that's cute. If I were interviewing you, what you said would endear me to you right away.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Research the company you are interviewing with so you know who they are, what they do, what their mission statement is, etc. Try to think of one or two questions to ask them that demonstrate you've looked at this stuff and are interested. Be honest. Be sincere. Don't say negative things about places that you have worked before. Smile :).
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Wow. I can just say, "I don't know"? Anyone else ever just say that in an interview? I've gone to some job prep courses in my area, but no one's ever mentioned that. One teacher told me that to be honest about never being in the type of situation they ask about and to say, "if I were in that situation, I would..." instead.

^^ You can always say 'I don't know'. I'm now in management, and appreciate the honest responses from candidates that I'm interviewing. You can always tell the ones that have Googled the top five interview questions and are repeating the answers verbatim. Of course, if you have an idea about what you might do if presented with a certain situation and don't have the experience, you certainly say what you might do. Just don't pretend you've done it if you haven't.

ETA: Research the company too - it shows that you're proactive and interested in becoming a part of their story.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    Take some time to prep the evening before the interview with the following:

1. review the company website and learn about them
    2. review the job description and think about how you would answer each skills/requirement question as if it was asked as a question
    3. review your resume so you are not only comfortable talking through it, but also able to elaborate on skills/task/jobs

For the interview itself, answer the questions and elaborate/illustrate when possible. ie) Yes.. I do have experience with xyz. I most recently was doing that when I was at <company>...etc.

Make sure to have a few questions ready. I'm not sure what kind of role it is, so I can't really give you any advice there, but some generic ones are:

1. How long has this position been open and why?
    2. How soon are you looking to have this role filled?

Then.. just make sure to get an email or mailing address and when you get home, promptly send a "thank you". Email is perfectly acceptable these days, but if you want a more personal touch you can always send it in the mail.

Finally.. be yourself and good luck!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Research the company you are interviewing with

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I am sure you know these but I will say it anyways because these were my pet peeves;

A] Arrive on time preferable a few minutes early
    B] Dress and look professional {even if you are interviewing for chief dog waste manager}.
    C] Turn the dang cell phone off or at least silent and do not respond to it during the interview
    D] Do not chew gum or candy

As others stated know something about the company and the position you are applying for. Do not hesitate to ask questions or for the opportunity to clarify a statement.
  • woou
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will definitely research the company as well. I've stocked up on "Thank You" cards since asking my professors for recommendations to my transfer school. :laugh:

I usually have trouble coming up with an answer to a question I haven't prepped for. I end up rambling on and then it sounds made up, when it's actually true. This is what my work prep teacher thought, when I answered a question she asked that caught me off guard.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    The smartest thing you can do that will get you the job is to be armed with a ton of information on the company and its executives. Know all about the company. Talk about what you can do for the company. Don't talk about benefits, vacations, etc. That will come later. Talk first about the company. Show you know what they do, who they are, what they like, their history, etc.

People do not care about you. They only care about what you can do for them.
  • TGomo
    TGomo Posts: 35
    Options
    Many years ago, I was super nervous as well. Now, I truly think if it is meant to be, it is meant to be. That is not saying don't prepare - always get as prepared as you can. Many great tips mentioned above. I few questions I like to ask of the interviewer(s): What is it that you like best about working for the company? Conversely, is there anything that you could change about the department or company, what would it be? I also ask about why the position is available and how the turnover is in the deparment I am interviewing for and the company in general. It is hard to find a company with low turnover, but if there has been a lot of turnover (they may or may not be totally honest about this) - proceed with caution. If there is a revolving door, that is usually a red flag. Just do some research, get a good night's sleep and remember - they are no better than you are. Titles never impress me - people do. Go and get it! Best of luck!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your interview today! :)
  • woou
    Options
    Thank you all. :flowerforyou:

Interview is not until Wednesday. Now I have time to prep! :laugh: